Status: new!

Heartbreaker

Darryn

I walk through the halls of my school, not really paying attention to the stares and smiles I normally get. A few girls say hi to me, but I keep walking like I don't hear them. I'm flustered.

Last night's events play through my head like a movie. I'd rather focus on those memories than listen to my best friend (my only friend) Mel go on about her hair. She needs to find more girl friends, honestly. However, I kind of need her. She's my only friend, so I just listen to her girly conversations.

Most of them are silly, though. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with her hair. There's nothing wrong with Mel at all. She's one of those girls that has perfect features. I can't find any flaws when I look at her face. Maybe that's why I started hanging out with her in the first place. Maybe it was because, even though on the outside she seems like a normal appearance-obsessed girl, she sees things in people that no one else does.

I have never met anyone else like her. Sure, she thinks I'm attractive, but who doesn't? She also knows things about me that no one else knows, that I will never tell anyone else. The only other person that has ever seen me for me immediately is... Brendon. Possibly.

"Maybe I should curl it? Alex thinks so. He says it would look sexy. What do you think? Darryn?" Mel turns to look at me for the first time this morning. She's been rambling so much that she hasn't noticed my lack of attention yet. I nod but she knows that something's up. I usually listen to everything she says and even offer comments.

But today I wasn't going to waste my time listening to her girl problems. I tell her I want to be left alone and she understands. She thinks she understands. But I know she doesn't. She walks away from me, probably thinking I don't want to be seen with her right now so I could break more hearts. But that's not my situation. I want to be left alone with my thoughts. My thoughts of him.

People normally see me and swoon at the sight of me. They try to talk to me for hours and flirt with me constantly. They stare at my eyes or stare at another part of me. But not Brendon. No, he was totally unaffected by me last night. For once in my life, someone was not interested in me at first sight.

Last night I tried to play it cool and seem like I didn't notice how bored he looked. Now I'm just freaking out. Nobody has ever looked bored when hanging out with me. It confuses me. Even people in relationships fall for me right away. Nobody can resist me. Nobody except for Brendon.

Speak of the devil, I think when I saw him walk into the office.

What is he doing here? He's going to look bored around me all the time. It's going to ruin everything! Pretty soon everyone is going to be unaffected by me now.
Brendon is going to ruin everything unless I get him to fall for me. And he will fall for me.

Maybe I should avoid him for now. Maybe I'm being too blunt and that's why he seems so unaffected. He probably thinks I'm a stereotypical whore. Which I'm not. I don't do it for sex, I do it so I can break hearts. Maybe he's into the mysterious secluded types. Maybe he'll like me better if I don't act like I'm throwing myself at him.

But I've already given him a first impression. Wish I'd thought about that before. Now he's already met me and sort of knows what kind of person I am. I guess ignoring him won't do any good.

"Brendon!" I call, getting his attention. He turns to see who called his name, and his eyes land on me. They flash with the same thing that I saw last night. I know now that it isn't lust or attraction. So what is it?

"Hi, Darryn." He says, sounding just as bored as he did last night. Great.

"So. Are you a new student?"

"Yeah. I guess I am." What does he mean by that? My face must look like a question mark, because he answers my unasked question.

"My... parents have been looking at all of the schools in this area. They still aren't sure that I should go here. They were pretty set on that one downtown... but I told them that I'd rather go here." He smirks.

"Why?" Seriously, what's so great about this school? And why do I care, anyway?

"There's just someone that goes here that I'd like to get to know better." He smirk becomes more pronounced. I get the feeling he's talking about me. He wants to get to know me better? Wait. What am I thinking? Of course he does! Who wouldn't want to get to know me better?

What is he doing to me?!
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so Taira wrote half of this and I wrote half. And we only have one comment so I'm not posting the next one until we have a few more comments. Sorry, but we don't know if anyone likes the story if no one comments. Constructive criticism is welcome, too!

-CC