Status: Contest Entry. Completed.

Remembering Brooklyn

One of Three

“I’m so sorry, Mark,” Brooklyn said.

His arms were wrapped around her small frame as he pressed his face into her hair.

“It’s okay,” Mark murmured. “I’m just glad that you came back to me.”

“I love you,” she whispered softly before disappearing.

Her body evaporated into thin air and Mark scrambled to have her in his arms again.

“Brooklyn? Brook, come back to me!”

He shot up in his bed covered in a cold sweat.

A dream. That’s all it was, a dream. Brooklyn was never coming back for him. Mark sighed and threw the covers off of him before swinging his legs over the side of the bed.

He shoved his feet into a random pair of shoes and glanced at the clock.

2:13 a.m.

Groaning in annoyance, Mark headed into the kitchen for a drink to get started for the night.

It had been a week since he was last sober. A week since he had discovered that Brook had left without a single word.

He walked onto the balcony, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other, and rested his arms on the railing. He held his head in his hands and groaned as he fell to the ground, losing his cancer stick in the process. He pulled his knees to his chest and listened to the wind.

It sounded as if she was whispering.

“I love you.” It sounded through the air.

“Get out of my head!” Mark growled through gritted teeth.

He practically pulled his hair out in frustration as the memories began flying through his head forcing him to remember everything that had happened.

They were having breakfast. It was the day before Mark found out that she was gone.

Brook was so happy that day.

“Hey, Mark,” she said cheerfully as she sat across the table.

“Hi, Brooklyn. Why are you so happy today?” he laughed softly, happy because she was happy for once.

“I don’t know.” She smiled.

Mark knew she was keeping something from him, but he didn’t pressure her.

He didn’t want to get her mad after all of the planning that he had done for his proposal.

“I love you,” Mark said adoringly.

Her smile became strained and he looked down at the table.

“Sorry,” was all he muttered.

She just waved him off as the waiter approached us.

“Two eggs, please. Scrambled.”

The waiter looked at Mark after writing down her order.

“I’ll have the same.”

He nodded and wrote it down before walking away wordlessly.[/he]

He should have pressured her more. Sure it would have annoyed her, but at least he would have had a little bit of warning about her leaving.

She never once told Mark that she loved him either. She once told him that she didn’t believe in love. Mark didn’t believe her though, he still didn’t believe her.

He thinks that she really does believe in love. Maybe she even loved him. He thought that she was just scared to love and to be loved.

He likes to think that she left because her feelings for him were so strong that they scared her, but he’ll never know if he’s right or not.

Mark did know one thing though. He loved her. He loved his Brooklyn more than he had ever loved anyone else.

She seemed to only want Mark for one reason though. Most people say that guys are the ones that want to get into a girl’s pants, but their situation was the opposite.

[he]She grinned mischievously as she tugged on his hand, leading him up to her bedroom.

They had been together for 6 months and it was her 17th birthday.

As much as Mark had wanted to wait, Brook was adamant about getting with him. She said that she didn’t want anything else, that it was the only thing she wanted for her birthday.

After she pouted for an hour when he told her his initial answer, he finally gave in.

She led him to her room where she quickly shut and locked the door. She pushed him onto the bed and began unbuttoning his shirt.


It had been his first time ever, but he knew that she had given in to previous boyfriends. He felt inadequate being without any experience, but she seemed happy afterwards and that was all he cared about.

Mark should have realized what he was getting himself into when she only wanted to have sex. She always whined when he wanted to take her out saying that they could have a lot more fun alone. He should have realized that their relationship wasn’t what it should have been.

You can call him pathetic and you could call him an over the top romantic, but he thought that it was all an act. He thought that maybe she was just insecure and she didn’t know any other way to bond because it was all that her past boyfriends had wanted to do. Mark thought that he could change her and get her to want to really be with him. He was wrong though, she just didn’t love him.