Status: Contest Entry. Completed.

Remembering Brooklyn

Two of Three

The day after they went to lunch together, Mark stopped by Brook’s house. Her car wasn’t in the driveway but he figured that she had just parked in her garage as usual. He walked up to the door and knocked. He waited for several minutes and nobody answered. Finally, Mark walked over to the garage and peeked through the dusty windows. Her car was nowhere in sight. His brow was furrowed. She had said she would be there all day.

Mark pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed the number he knew by heart. It rang and rang but she never picked up. It just went to her voicemail.

”Hey, you’ve reached Brook. Leave a-“

He shut his phone in frustration. Why would she lie to him? Why would she tell him a blatant lie and then ignore his calls for her? He was distressed. Mark was distressed and he did not like the feeling one bit. More than anything though, Mark was confused. He just didn’t understand what was going on, so he began called around.

He called every one of her mutual friends and a few of her personal friends but nobody knew where she was and even if they did, most of them probably wouldn’t have told him anyway. Mark was known to go off of the deep end at times when he wanted something that he couldn’t have.

When asked why he was so distraught over a girl who clearly didn’t share his feeling, he responded with the fact that he was going to ask her to marry him, that he loved her so much that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.

Mark knew that she claimed she would never believe in love, but he was determined to call her bluff. With the way he felt about her, surely she had to at least feel some of it. There was no way he was head over heels with her while she couldn’t care less, he wouldn’t believe that. Mark knew that somewhere deep down, she got the same butterflies in her stomach when she was around him. They would fill her gut as they did his.

He sighed deeply and looked toward the neighbor’s house, suddenly getting an idea. He perked up a little. They must know something about where she went. Living right next to her, they must have noticed if a car pulled out of her driveway. Mark could only hope that they were as creepy as he thought they were.

He knocked on the door and when a groggy looking woman answered the door, he knew that he had woken them.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. “But have you seen this girl?”

Mark showed the woman a picture of Brooklyn but she just rolled her eyes and shut the door in his face. He just stared at the door in shock. Why would she slam the door in his face when she didn’t even know him, when he hadn’t done anything?

He turned around only to look at the door longingly. He had hoped that they would know something, but apparently not. With a determined look on his face, Mark walked back up to the door and knocked once more.

“I’m really sorry, Miss. Just please, I don’t mean to bother you. Have you seen Brook? I… Can you tell me anything? Please?” He was practically begging at that point.

The woman sighed and looked at him in annoyance.

“And why should I tell you anything?”

“I was going to ask her to marry me.”

Her eyes visibly softened. She felt bad for the young man and somewhat dreaded the news that she was about to give him.

“I’m sorry, but she moved. Yesterday some movers came and took the U-Haul and drove it to her new place,” she told him softly.

“I’m… What? She did what?”

“She moved. I’m sorry, but you have to go now.”

The woman closed the door once more, this time considerably softer than the first time as Mark walked back to his car in a daze.

She had left him. Brook had really left him and she didn’t even say a word to him about it. Suddenly any bit of sadness disappeared from his body and was replaced with anger. Red, hot fury took over his body and he kicked the side of his car.

Rain poured down onto his head, soaking him and he just laughed at the irony. It had been dark and cloudy, much like his current mood. And it seemed as if she had caused it all. He gripped his hair in his hands before roughly shaking his head and climbing into his vehicle.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you notice that I put 'I' instead of 'he' or 'Mark', please tell me :) I accidentally switched from first to third person because I thought that the first was written in third person...