Status: All Chapters Posted. Late.

The Open Book

Shot 4

It wasn’t long before Carter had the boy cornered in the bathroom. With the amount of blood he was losing, that was the only place he could really hope to go to avoid causing a scene. The boy just shook his head as tears poured down his face.

“I said stop. I said stop! Why wouldn’t you just listen to me?” Alexander wailed. Carter knew that someone could hear them. With the volume of the other boy’s voice, it was impossible that they couldn’t. The whole damn cafeteria could probably hear how he was carrying on.

Alexander crumpled to the floor and looked up at him with the clearest blue eyes Carter had ever seen. The desperation poured out of them with the tears and Carter could almost feel the boy slipping. This wasn’t right. He couldn’t get it out of his mind that he had to save him. There wasn’t anything but those blue eyes begging him for mercy.

”Help! Somebody! Anybody! Call 911! Fucking get this kid some help!” Carter slid down next to the boy and pulled him onto his lap. He tried to wipe away some of the tears that were streaking down the boys face, but found the gesture pointless when he noticed that they were replaced within seconds.

“I said stop trying to help me!”

“Well, I said no!”

“You’re a prick,” Alexander mumbled as he snuggled against Carter’s chest. It took all of Carter’s self control to not start bawling at the sight of the boy. He had finally stopped crying, but with his wide eyes and still-wet face, he looked even more vulnerable than he had before. “A warm prick... I’ll give you that much, I guess...”

“Thank you for the kindness.” Carter muttered sarcastically. He shifted Alexander’s weight to his other leg and began to panic when this elicited no response. Again, he shifted the boy and jostled him around, but Alexander just flopped like a lifeless doll. He started to screech at the top of his lungs. Someone had to hear him; they just had to.

“Will you shut up?! I’m sleepy!” Alexander whined as he smacked Carter’s chest. Sighing, Carter forced himself to stand. People weren’t going to allow him to forget this, but none of them were phoning the damn police so he didn’t see any other option. “Put me down! I wanna sleep!” Alexander slurred.

“I would love to let you sleep, honey. Just not right now. You need to stay awake for me right now,” Carter pleaded with him as he carried him bridal style out of the boy’s washroom. “Whatever you do, don’t stop talking.”

“Don’t call me honey. I’m not a bee and you’re a stinger... wait no... a prick. Yeah,” Alexander replied drowsily. “A prick makes more sense.” Carter smiled at him and shifted him around some more. This got him another firm reprimand from the other party involved. “I will not be treated this way! Put me down!” He mumbled as he rested his chin in the crook of Carter’s neck.

A screech made Carter almost drop Alexander. Whipping around, he turned to see who was making such a heinous noise and why. His biology teacher was staring at the blood that was coating the boys and dripping to the floor. Carter agreed that this was screech worthy.

“Call the fucking police! We need an ambulance!” Carter shouted at the dumbstruck person standing front of him. This time, Alexander didn’t protest. A glance at the boys eyes confirmed that he was indeed alive, and awake, but not by much in either cases. Carter bounced Alexander up and reset his quickly tiring arms.

“Stop doing that!” Alexander whined.

“You know, for a guy that’s almost asleep you make a hell of a lot of noise?”

“I also snore,” Alexander replied snippily. Carter chuckled. “You know, for a prick, you’re kind of cute.”

“Now I definitely know we need to get you to a hospital.” Carter could feel Alexander smile against his skin. That was when he noticed that his biology teacher had disappeared... and that he could hear sirens. He pushed his feet to move towards the front doors and he hip checked them open which resulted in another groan from Alexander. He met the ambulance in the parking lot and flashed a thankful smile to the person who opened the door for him.

“Name?” The paramedic asked him as he lay Alexander on the stretcher.

“Alexander Sampson,” Carter replied firmly.

“After all that business with the school roster you still get my fucking name wrong? I’m wounded deeply. My last name happens to be Roison,” Alexander said with a sigh trailing after his sentences. Carter grabbed his hand and sat down beside him which got him a displeased expression from the attending paramedic. A growl escaped his throat and the man’s face quickly became a blank mask.

“You. Go. You still have another two periods to finish,” Alexander said with a painful grimace. Carter placed a quick peck on Alexander’s forehead before sitting up and arranging himself in an awkward position that allowed him to put his arm around Alexander’s shoulders. He grabbed the boy’s hand again and whispered in his ear:

“You aren’t getting away from me that easily.”