Angel's cry

The smile

Next day, I sat alone on Mathilda’s bench. I didn’t want to apologize to my friends, I was trying to make a point there. Mathilda sat right next to me, holding in her left hand a pen and in her right hand a piece of paper. She started to write.

“Hi, I am Mathilda, sorry for the other day, I just thought you were going to make fun of me like the rest”.

“Why are you writing?” I said out loud. She wrote again.

“It’s better like this, you talk, I write okay?”

“Okay then…”

I looked deep into her eyes and I saw she was happy. I smiled.

“Why are you smiling?”

“I think your eyes are gorgeous”

“Thank you, I was going to say the same thing about your smile. When you smile, the whole world becomes more colorful”.

“Is that why you look at me? Because of my smile?”

She blushed and I could see that she didn’t know what to say. A few minutes later, she began to write again.

“I look at you because I know you are different from the other stupid boys. I saw the fight you had with your friends yesterday, it was hard. Why did you fight with them?”

“Because hate to see them making fun of you, I just can’t stand it”.

Finally I saw Mathilda smiling. It was a genuine smile like I’ve never seen her do. That smile made me happy. Now I could smile the whole day long. Mathilda started writing.

“I gotta go now; I don’t want your friends to make fun of you too, they are looking over here. It was nice to finally meet you Mike, you are a nice person, we should meet someday after school”.

I looked at her and blushed.

“That sounds very good to me”.

She got up and kissed me on the cheek, not very close to my mouth, but not very far. It felt so good, the best kiss I’ve ever received from a girl. I was definitely in love with the mysterious Mathilda.

When I was on my way to my English class Jared started talking to me.

“Hey Mike”

I didn’t answer.

“Mike, please, don’t be a child, I know what we did was wrong but you don’t have to stay that mad dude, I’m your best friend remember? I support you in every decision you take”

“Oh is that so? Then why were you laughing with the others when they started to make fun of me?”

“Because I didn’t want to believe you were really in love with crazy freak…” I looked at him angry “I mean, Mathilda”.

“But I am okay? I’m in love with that girl and I can’t stand when you start making fun of her, so it’s better for me to get away from you guys, so that we can all be happy”.

“If you think that’s the right thing to do, go ahead, but remember, I’ll always be here for you whenever you need a friend to talk to”.

I entered the classroom hoping to see Mathilda but her seat was empty. Maybe she wasn’t feeling good and went home. I was going to visit her that afternoon.