Status: Done

Two Words

TWO;

“Hunter Griffin was an amazing son, brother, and friend.”

Is it wrong to not want to be at your brother’s funeral? Half of the people here didn’t even know him, the real him. That was a side that not many got to see. I hated seeing these people step up to the podium speaking about Hunter like they were close to him. No one knew him like I did.

Then my mother walked up to the podium.

This ought to be good.

“Hunter was an amazing son. He was so loving and caring, so strong. He was only fifteen when he died but I knew my son was happy.”

“What would you know?”

I hadn’t realized I’d said that out loud until every eye in the church was on me.

“I knew my son very well thank you very much,” my mother said in that snobby way of hers. That truly got under my skin.

“Did you know he used to cry at night when neither you nor dad had bothered to come home for his birthday? Did you know that he drew beautiful amazing pictures that he wished you would be proud of? Did you know he wanted to be a marine biologist? No, you didn’t because you don’t know him. None of you do. O, but you think you do because maybe you’ve seen him surf a few times, or you got him to laugh at you, or kiss you, but in reality no of you knew him. I bet half of you don’t even know his favorite color. So stop trying to pretend like you do cause it’s really pissing me off.”

It was so silent; it seemed that a leaf could fall to the ground and make everyone jump.

“Calico, you really need to calm down,” my father boomed.

“Maybe you’re right, but all of you need to get a clue. I’m tired of pretending and not saying anything.” I looked directly at my father, “Maybe you should try it sometime.”

Then I was running.

As an afterthought, I turned around.

“Oh and just for the record, it’s carnation pink.”

I ran out of the church, slightly relieved, and slightly freaked. I’d never said anything like that before and it felt good. I was in for a load when I met up with my parents again, but I’d decided to do things my way. I turned on my heels and headed straight for the beach. I was going to mourn my brother on my own.

I faced the ocean and stood on my knees, the swing billowing behind me from the cool ocean breeze.

“Hunter. You are an amazing brother and I can’t express in words how much I’m going to miss you.”

I closed my eyes as tears began to blur my vision.

“You protected me against the thunder storms and the monsters under my bed, even though I was two years older than you. I watched out for you and tried to give you good advice in return. I love you Hunter and you know I don’t say that too often. You were always so full of life. I hated to see you so upset about mom and dad and I’m sorry they never got the chance to know you. They really missed out on a great kid. You better be listening to me and not ignoring me like you usually do ‘cause this is a once in a lifetime thing, understand?”

A smile covered my face through my tears, but it didn’t last. The tears were falling down my face in streams.

“I miss you Hunter. I’m so sorry your life had to end so soon, but at least you died doing something you loved.”

Tears flowed freely from my eyes. I barely noticed someone sit next to me, but I did notice someone put their arm around me. I looked into Fisher’s warm, hazel eyes as he gave me a small smile, unsure whether I’d push him away or let him stay. I rested my head in the crook of his neck and let him comfort me. He rubbed my back, letting me soak his shirt with my tears. He gave me a shoulder that I hadn’t realized I needed. I guess I did need him after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a lot shorter sorry. I was trying to figure out how to seperate it into two different chapters.
Comments are always welcome ^^