Status: Active! (I hate the orange bar the status creates. Why can't it be red?)

Nobody Said It Would Be Easy

Chapter Twenty-One: Do You Know What's Worth Fighting For? When It's Not Worth Dying For?

Dear Riley,
It's been four weeks since I've seen you. To long. I know your probably upset that you broke my ribs, but, I don't know, I miss you. What happened to that pride you used to have?
Love,
Mellana


It was the biggest day of my high school life. Graduation. I didn't know if I was actually ready for it. I was still going to school, but was being escorted everywhere by Emmett and Jasper who helped me walk.
I put on the tassled hat over my curly brown hair and stared at myslef in the mirror.
I looked back on my life from then. The day sailing with Riley, my freshman prom, that day at Six Flags, in the park, down in Seattle, in my room. All the memories washed in my brain making me dizzy with grief.
I remembered feeling metal, and feeling like half my heart was dead. I remember the pain and happiness. The love and hate. Everything.
I sighed and put on the graduation gown timidly. My hands were shaking nevously as I made my way downstairs with the help of Sam and the banister. And went with the Biers towards the school.
I stood in line quietly, being supported by Emmett and Jasper.
"Emerson Adams?" The principal called, hope lingering in his voice. Everyone was still in a panic about Emerson and everyone hoped he would show up. I felt guilty at the sound of his name but held myself together as the principal continued.
"Mellana Bishop?" The principal asked, I made my way on the stage and took my papers going to sit down. Everyone passed by quite quickly, the principal called out every name in the twelth grade when it was time for the valedictorian, Jessica's speech.
"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like astronaut, president, or in my case… princess.
When we were ten, they asked again and we answered – rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we’ve grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how ’bout this: who the hell knows?!
This isn’t the time to make hard and fast decisions, its time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere chilly. Fall in love – a lot. Major in philosophy ’cause there’s no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent.
So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be… we won’t have to guess. We’ll know.” She finished and we all cheered and clapped happily for her then everyone threw their hats up, except me because I'm not supposed to lift my arms. Emmett smiled and took my hat for me, tossing it high up in the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay. It's uber short I know. But I will make the next chapter longer and better!