Sequel: My Father, My Brother

Lullaby And Goodnight

Helena Returns

I groaned, not even having the strength to fight back as I was sedated again. My eyesight was blurry and my head was spinning. Rachael's voice was the only one I could make out in the blur and panic of the situation. I was completely numb to the paramedics touch but the I could still feel Rachael's rubbing the back of my hand softly. The paramedics were rushing around and yelling, but I could only make out Rachael's calming blue eyes staring into mine as she told me everything would be okay. The blood that was covering me was just a red blur and the green uniforms of the paramedics were just a splodge of color in the background, but Rachael's eyes were distinguishing. But even Rachael couldn't stop the sleep that was over taking me. I could still hear her quite, calm voice over the screeching of the sirens. I think it was that what lulled me to sleep.

*RACHAEL'S POV*

I watched his eyes close and his breathing level out. I started to panic, thinking he had fallen into a coma but I heard the paramedics say he had fallen asleep into his radio. I kept a tight grip on his blood soaked hand, letting the red substance stain my own hand, but I wasn't about to let him go. Even though he probably couldn't hear me, I continued whispering to him that I wouldn't leave him and I'd get him through this. The ambulance screeched to a halt and the back doors opened. They carried Gerard into the hospital and placed him, not so gently, onto a stretcher. I ran along side it. The doctors and nurses tried to stop me coming in, but I soon persuaded them to let me in with him. I told them we were twins and I refused to leave my brother, so they let me in. I held his hand and turned away crying as they sorted his scars out.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked a nurse who came to check I was alright. She looked at Gerard's limp form.

"Heroin. He had quite a lot of heroin in him. Alcohol too" My eyes widened.

"No. That can't be right, he doesn't do drugs." I took a deep breath to calm myself and let the nurse carry on.

"There were puncture marks just inside his scars that were from a needle, and there was alcohol in his blood stream. But I doubt this kid injected his own wound. Do you know what happened to him?" I shook my head no and let the tears flow. The nurse looked up, Mikey and Donna rushed in. Donna placed her hand on my shoulder and hugged me tight. I cried onto her shoulder for a while, still not letting go of Gerard's hand as they stitched him back up.

"Bert. I'm going to get him. And kill him. Oh Gerard what did you get yourself into." Mikey asked his brother, even though he knew he wouldn't get an answer.

"Did you see what happened sir?" The nurse asked Mikey who nodded.

"One of Gerard's friends, Bert, found us in the street and tried it on with Gerard. When Gerard fell back onto the ground, Bert pinned him down and kissed him and he injected Gerard with something. I don't know what it was but I know Gerard HATES needles so he definitely didn't know Bert was doing it." Mikey sat on the floor beside me stool and explained what happened from there. I had zoned out though. Someone drugged him? What the fuck? Were they TRYING to kill him?

*GERARD'S POV*

I was no longer asleep. I was still too drugged from the sedatives to open my eyes. I could still feel Rachael's soft thumb rubbing the back of my hand, and her soft voice was still talking. This time though, another voice broke out. It was a voice I recognized, but hadn't hear in so long. Mixed emotions surged through me, but the strongest was relief. I felt tears prick my closed eyes and seep under my eyelids. Rachael noticed immediately.

"GERARD?! Gerard you awake?" I opened my eyes slowly and Donna closed a curtain next to my bed to block most of the light. I tried to talk but my throat was sore and scratchy.

"Oh Gerard. Are you okay?" I grinned and cried from relief as Helena held me tight in her arms. I held her back and sobbed into her shoulder. I had missed her. I shook my head against her shoulder.

"Helena, what're you doing here? How did you find me?" I pulled away and looked up at her teary eyed but not letting go of her arms.

"Donna told me. She's only just told me that you were in her orphanage." I glanced at Donna, and back to Helena. They looked somewhat alike.

"You related?"

"She's my daughter Gerard." Helena smiled at me and I raised my eyebrows in surprise. Mikey bounded in the room with four coffees and a soda. He put the drinks on my bedside table and dived on my bed, crawled up and hugged me. I laughed at his enthusiasm.

"Hey baby bro. You alright?"

"Yeah, but I should be asking you." I smiled at him.

"Sore, and scratchy throat but i alright." He smiled then I turned my attention to someone else. Rachael sat quietly in the seat beside me bed. I turned and pulled her onto the bed. I wrapped my arms around her and stroked her hair. I heard, and felt, her crying into my shoulder. I whispered to her, just as she did to me. She had stayed with me and helped me through just like she promised. I turned her head and kissed her softly and quickly, in a way of thanks. I brushed away her tears with my thumb and smiled at her.

"You scared me so bad." She whispered as she hung her head slightly.

"I know sugar. I'm sorry." I hugged her again before turning back to everyone.

"What the fuck happened?" I rubbed my throat and downed the soda Mike had brought me as I wasn't allowed a hot drink yet.

"Bert happened. He fucking injected you with heroin Gerard when he had you pinned, hence the amount of pain. I told you he was fucking trouble." I looked at Rachael who avoided eye contact with me. Was she ashamed? I should be the one ashamed of knowing someone like HIM!

There was a light blue bandage wrapped around my stomach. Fuck, that is NEVER gonna go now. It's re-opened so many times, it would be permanent. Mikey sat on my legs, Rachael was beside me, Helena and Donna sat on the to guest chairs. This was as close to a proper family I'll ever get. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

"Oh yeah Gerard, Eliza cheated on you." Mikey said calmly. I almost choked on my soda.

"What!" I demanded. I heard Rachael sigh.

"So much for telling him gradually Mikes." Rachael confirmed. I would have been extremely upset, but I had too, in a way.

"She's getting it on with Cooper behind your back." Wow Mikey didn't hesitate to get to the point much did he? I shrugged, surprisingly not too bothered. Mikey seemed to be a little surprised by my lack of emotion but didn't say anything.

"Will I be in school tomorrow?" I asked Donna who laughed like I was mad.

"Are you mad?" Hit the nail on the head there.

"You'll be lucky if your in school for the rest if the week." Usually I would be thrilled, but I wanted those art lessons. I guess I could always do the drawings when Rachael came home from school. Helena stroked my hair softly as I laid back down.

"So your full name is?" I asked Helena.

"Elena Lee Rush. My daughter, Donna Lee Way. Married to Donald Way." I nodded in understanding. Yay! I could keep in contact with Helena then while I was staying at The Way. But I was 15, in a year and a half I would be back on the streets. I sighed to myself, unfortunately for me, everyone near me heard.

"What's the matter sugar?" Donna asked. I shook my head trying to suggest nothing was wrong but she wasn't having it. So she kept bugging me.

"It's just that, in a year and a half, I'll be back as the 'street kid'." I shrugged like it was no big deal. Donna and Helena glanced at each other but didn't say anything. Told you it wasn't important.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy valentines day!!!!