Sequel: My Father, My Brother

Lullaby And Goodnight

Our New Families

"Donna? Donald? Who?" I asked glancing at Mikey every now and then. No-one spoke, the tension building rapidly. I had a feeling I knew the answer, I just hoped and prayed I was right.

"How would you like to call us mom and dad?" Donald asked. I was right! I was so fucking right! Mikey and I pounced and hugged them so tight. I went straight to Donna, sorry, Mom. Helena practically took me from mom. She held me tight against her, and I had decided. I was a grandma's boy. She held me at arms length and grinned at me, tears threatening to spill over her eyes.

"Now were related, I wanna show you something." She gripped my arm and pulled me upstairs into her room. I gasped at the countless drawings and pieces of art work that littered the walls. It reminded me of the room I had dreamed about. My fantasy life, the only thing that kept me sane at my biological parent's house, dreaming about my fantasy life, and now here I was, living in New York with a new, amazing, family and a new best friend, Rachael. Helena stood grinning in the door way. She glowed with pride as she held open the door to the room opposite hers. It was empty and a little bit bigger than hers. It was empty and bare but to me, it was home. Helena passed me a pot of colored pencils and a pad of paper, telling me to start deciding. But not before teaching me how to draw a 3-D room perfectly so I could draw exactly how I wanted my new room.

There were two windows on the outside wall, bare walls, a sky blue rug on the floor, and a plain, white dresser in one corner. There was a door in the far right hand corner of the room that was a walk in cupboard. I smirked and settled on the floor, designing the room that had always been in my dreams. The bed between both windows. I had designed it so the bottom half of my room would be black, and the top half red with black bats on. The carpet would be crimson. I was going to back a night blue ceiling with shining stars painted on. The moon right above my bed. I smiled at my design and tore out the page, scrambling up and racing downstairs to show my new grandmother. Mikey was sat on the floor in front of our new parents who were briefing Rachael about her new family, but still hadn't told her who they were. Helena was sitting on the couch me and Mikey had previously occupied and held her hand out eagerly for the design. She inspected the art work carefully.

"Wow. This looks great. On Saturday, I'll take you out to buy the materials and your mom and dad will do the same with Mikey." Grandma's boy much? I think so. I squealed happily and dragged Rachael and Mikey up to my new room. We were all talking in excitable voices. All of us thrilled about getting new homes, new families, and a new shot at life. Rachael told us her new parents were pretty well off. The man who wanted her was a lawyer and the women owned a horse-riding school, which was pretty awesome. I'd never seen Rachael so excited to be finally getting out of the orphanage and away from the temporary foster homes.

Rachael was eager to please her new parents and all she really wanted was for them to be as willing to love her, as she was to love them. I pulled her onto my lap and hugged her tight while Mikey wolf whistled, earning himself and playful smack on the arm from us both. I kissed Rachael's shoulder happily. I can't believe we were going to live only a few streets apart as well. And Rachael would have her own horse.

"Maybe you could come riding after school and at weekends or something!" Rachael yelled excitedly. I had never this noisy and talkative. Things were looking up for us. Maybe this was our final lullaby.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's short and crap, but it's hard to be a great writing when your crying and having serious boyfriend issues. Sorry guys.