Sequel: My Father, My Brother

Lullaby And Goodnight

Shoplifter

*GERARD'S POV*

"AHHHHHH!" I screamed as I flew across the room. I closed my eyes tightly as my, still, skinny frame smashed into the living room mirror. Okay, so maybe diving off the couch wasn't the smartist idea. Mikey and Loz dived behind the couch or chair or anything they could to avoid the shards of glass that flew across the room. I covered my head with my arms when my body hit the floor. I was okay, though the mirror was at the point of no return. After the rain of crystals, I lifted my head to look at the shards of glass covering the dark brown carpet. Loz and Mikey came out of hiding and looked around. I glanced at Loz who sighed.

"Time for a trip to the center. JAMMY STAKE OUT!" She squeeled and grabbed her wallet from the coffee table. Together, we walked the couple of streets to the shopping center. To say it was like, 1 AM the shop was empty, but it was a 24/7 shop so it was still open. We skidded through the isles in our slippers, and in Loz's case, bed socks. The security guards looked a little wary when we entered the shop, but didn't say or do anything. I wandered into the magazine isle, while Loz took Mikey to find a new mirror. I saw one of my favourite bands, the Misfits, on the cover on one of the mags, but I didn't have my money. I guess old habbits never die and I slipped the magazine under my PJ shirt so it rested on the hem of my pants. I folded my arms to keep it upright and stopped it falling out.

I cleared my throat casually and found Mikey and Loz carrying a mirror, almost identical to the one I broke, to the check out.

"Thirty five squid, that's not too bad." Loz muttered to herself while she took the money from her wallet and passed it to the clerk. Together, we carried the mirror out of the store. My heart thudded as we walked past the security guard. He watched us out, but didn't say anything, so I got away with it. Till the security alarms sounded. I forced the mirror into a shopping trolly and raced down onto the streets. The guard chased after us. Loz and Mikey ran beside me. Mikey looked furious, but Loz looked confused and scared. I led them down a back track and took us the long way home, the security guard no longer in sight when we reached the house. I hid the trolly in some bushes and carried the mirror inside.

"What the fuck Gerard! I thought we'd put all that behind us!" Mikey screamed as soon as Loz closed and locked the doors and windows. I pulled the magazine from under my shirt and dropped it on the table.

"Old habbits never die Mikey I'm sorry." I began picking up shards of glass and disposing of them in a black bag Loz had dragged into the room. She was acting like nothing had happened, but I knew I'd get it later. Once all the glass was off the floor and in the garbage bag, I put the new mirror up on the wall, nothing looked different. I sighed and shoved my hands in my pockets, examining the cover of the magazine.

"Gerard. Can I talk to you?" Loz asked and walked out of the room. I reluctantly followed her, knowing if we started arguing, she would win. Her wit and arguing skills beat mine. I followed her upstairs and into our bedroom. As soon as I clicked the door closed, I got what was coming to me.

"WHAT THE FUCK! Of all the things you could be, your a thief?! How could you do this? You could have got us ALL arrested! You could have just asked for some money, but noooo. Instead, you stole it! Your a criminal. You just got yourself a criminal record. They will have got you on the CCTV camera, report that to the athourities, had a check on you, and found out EVERYTHING about you!" She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, obviously trying to calm down from her hysterical outburst. I felt guilty about risking getting my new cousin and baby brother in trouble. All because I wanted a magazine. I sighed and twiddled my thumbs, not sure weather or not to say anything.

"Answer some things for me Gerard. What the hell was that all about? Why wasn't Mikey as surprised as me? Have you done this before? Is there something your not telling me?" She sat beside me on the bed and watched me. I stared at the floor and decided to tell her everything.

"Look. We were abused at home, brought up to defend for ourselves. When we finally escaped and stayed with a friend. There, I met the love of my life, my ex boyfriend Frankie. Yeah I'm bi. Then, at a theme park, I was attacked again, hence these still been here, cause I was originally attacked before we escaped." I lifted my shirt and displayed my scars. Loz's face lost color and she eyed them up shocked.

"So, we had to get away from there too. We ended up living in this drug house with this guy called Bert who got me into drink,drugs, sex ect. Me and Mikey had to shop lift if we wanted to stay alive, but after a while it was more of a habbit, but also a way of life. I met a girl named Eliza, who I slept with before I actually knew her age and surname. I only knew her first name because her friend said it. I got with her that night after sleeping with her. Our dad soon found out where we were so we ended up in Donna's orphanage The Way. That's how I met Rachael. Now I don't date Rachael, she's my best friend, but we were given an art project where I had to draw her naked. I kissed her to calm her down. We havn't slept together or anything though. A lot of the old habbits are dying off. Like sex and drinking, but shop lifting and smoking are still there. I'm sure they will die off eventually. And by the way, we already HAVE a criminal record. I found out Eliza cheated on me a few weeks ago, but I' not all that bothered. I just wish they hadn't taken pictures and threw them in my face of her and her boyfriend. That's what hurts." I sighed and watched her blank expression. I was shocked when she lent forward and hugged me. I hugged back, but I was a little surprised that I got a hug. That was before she slapped me hand across the face. Ah, there it was.

"The hug was for all the shit you've gone through. The slap was for been a prat." I nodded, half smiling. Okay, I deserved that. I fell back onto the bed so I was laid on my back. The guilt had worn off. I pulled my phone out of my pocket as it buzzed annoyingly. I couldn't be bothered to check the caller ID.

"Hey Gerard baby, where did you go?" Bert's voice slurred down the phone. I smiled and sat up.

"Hey sugar. Decided to get away for a while so were on vacation. What you been up to gorgeous?" I smiled again and kept him talking. Despite everything, I'd missed Bert. He'd kept us alive for two months and the price was always pleasurable.

"Missing you baby. Are you coming to see me when you get back?" I nodded into the phone, then realisied he couldn't see me.

"Yeah of course beautiful. I'll call you when were coming okay?" He told me he'd look forward to it before we said our goodbyes. I smiled at my phone. Loz gave me a curious look but didn't question while she made her way back downstairs. I can't believe were going home tomorrow. I whole three weeks had gone already. I was just drifting off, when the other two came to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just got home from the most beautiful place in Yorkshire. LOVED it there, had a fab time. And now, back to school. Great huh? Anyway. Comment with opinions?