Trials of Emersten

Prologue

It all started nearly ten years ago. But no one really remembers what happened exactly. Or, at least, they pretend not to. I mean, when you think about it, who would want to remember the horrors that occurred during the early years of this awkward, communal union. The union that exists between two separate, yet equally conjoined worlds. The first being the one that you and I both know. The one that is present solely during the hours of daylight. Then, there is the second world. Their world. The one that the townspeople of Emersten now refuse to participate in. The world that exists between the hours of dusk and dawn… 
  
                                   ***

They came to Emersten in search of refuge. In search of a place where they could feel safe, away from all the persecution and stigmas. In short, they just wanted a place where they could live harmoniously with the towns other inhabitants. Their arrival had been planned, secretly, of course, for a number of years prior to the time that they graced Emersten with their presence. A select few were sent before them to prepare the unwitting community for the imminent arrival of the Others.

The people of Emersten (who, at the time, were a very hospitable people) welcomed these newcomers with open arms. Of course, how could they not? What, with all the new jobs they were willing to provide the towns residents. You see, the task that the Others had given their emissaries was one that typically offered many jobs to the nearest community. They were to start up a factory. And, of course, with a factory comes the need to store things, so they opened up a warehouse, too. This was, as far as any of Emersten’s residents could remember, the best thing that had ever happened to their poor little town. But the elated feeling that came with a successfully running factory had faded away as quickly as it had come.

The ones who had come early had not prepared properly for running a factory. Either that, or they had been expecting the Others earlier than they actually came. Regardless of the reason, the factory was doomed from the start. That’s kind of what happens when nothing you make in your factory is ever sold. The only flow of cash is, therefore, whatever leaves your pocket until you are finally left with nothing. For example you have the cost of actually running a factory (or any type of business, for that matter), which could include anything from equipment, to maintenance, to your lease, rent, or mortgage payments. Add on to all of this your utility bills ( i.e. electricity, water, gas, etc.), and then, of course, your suppliers, and your worker’s wages, and it come as no surprise that their funds depleted as quickly as they did. 

Unbeknownst to them at the time, however, bankruptcy could easily have been avoided. You see, they did not realize how much they could have made just by selling a small fraction of their product. They figured that, since what they were making in the factory was merely an imitation, there was no way their product could be good for the recipient. This supposition was later proved wrong by the Others after they had arrived. As Kristof said after being in town for no more than an hour: “Did you honestly think we would have been having you make this stuff if it wasn’t close enough to the real thing? Did you honestly think we’d have been able to survive off it if we couldn’t distribute it as a proper substitute?” 

But of course, this hadn't been thought of, and those who were sent prior to the Others entrance into Emersten society were duly punished. Their prompt removal did not squelch the townspeople's continually growing anger. In order to avoid any more hard feelings, and for fear of an ensuing conflict, Kristof and his Others quickly appointed some of their fellow new arrivals to takeover the management of the factory. This did not help the situation. In fact, it enraged the people of Emersten even more. You see, many Emerstonians felt , seeing as how they were basically back to where they had started, if not worse, that they would have been better off had their little town just been left alone. Not to mention they found it rather presumptuous of their new fellow residents to think that the inhabitants of Emersten would be willing to be continually thrown around between economic highs and lows. 

They kept the jobs, however, grumbling angrily under their breaths, and as hard feelings continued to stew, a divide erupted between the inhabitants of the now more densely populated Emersten. A divide that was only strengthened by the events that soon followed. The product had gone bad, expired. Though the Others weren't angry with them, it was the people of Emersten who had to pay.

Ten years passed slowly, and by the time our story began, an us vs. them mentality had gripped the town. Us being the townspeople of Emersten, and them being the Others, and anyone else who decided to make Emersten their new home...
♠ ♠ ♠
readcommentmessagesubscribe