Don't Hold This War Inside

Remind Me Just Who We Are

January 1945.........

With George's help, Caroline had raided at least twenty more camps.

Of course, they would have to be more careful now, considering that their raids had reached the ears of other countries.

Jews were roaming all around countrysides and there wasn't much the Nazis could do because more than half of them were dead.

"Start with the commander first. If you kill him first, he cannot have the chance to call for help. Take out the soldiers...leave the commander for me." George instructed coldly. Caroline had not regretted turning him; he had become useful to to her, and not only that, but she found him a great companion.

"Of course."

And with that, they went into action at sunset.

Caroline got all the guards in seven minutes before going to the barracks and opening the door. She stepped inside, much to the fear of the Jews, Gypsies, Romani, and others inside.

"Leave," she said. "Run away as fast as you can."

None of them moved.

They think I'm tricking them. she thought to herself sadly. She sighed and stayed by the doorway. "The guards are dead, all of them. You are free."

A rather emaciated person stood up slowly from the barracks. "How do we know we can trust you?" she said. Her voice was raspy and tired, her accent indicating she could be Czechoslovakian.

"If you do not trust me, go to sleep. When you awake tomorrow morning, all will be quiet. You will leave this hellhole, only to find all the guards and the commanders dead. You will finally be free. I will leave you with only these words: stick to the woods and do not separate from one another." Caroline explained.

And just as quick as she came, she was gone. She met up with George back at the gate, but he wasn't alone. "The commanders are dead." he stated.

Caroline looked at the person he was holding bridal style. "Who is this?"

"Vienna. I met her when I still lived in Mako. I've known her since she was 10. I can't even believe she's here." George sounded absolutely frantic.

"We'll take her with us. But we won't turn her yet. "Let's go."

6 Months Later...July 17, 1945

"Can I get you anything else, Vienna?" George asked, sitting on the edge of Vienna's bed. They were on a ship to America. It had only left the day before.

"Nothing else. I am fine." Vienna said quietly. She hardly ever spoke to Caroline and only ever really spoke to George. Her hair had grown back quickly, down to her back now.

Her brown eyes now shined with hope. Now that she had been getting fed more now, Caroline could see that she was a beautiful girl. her 5'7 height and slim figure fit her in a way that was unique to only her.

"Are you sure?" Caroline asked.

"I am sure." Vienna replied quietly.

The rest of the trip went in this manner, until they were a few days away from New York City. Caroline was having a heated discussion with George in the room next to Vienna's.

"We have to turn her!" she whispered.

"No, we don't. We will leave the choice to her. She doesn't deserve this, Caroline."

"She deserves to have the opportunity of eternity when she thought before that she would die at any time. I want her to know that her life will not be over now."

"I do not care, Caroline. You will not turn her. Not until she's sure she wants it. Give her some time to make that decision on her own." George hissed.

Caroline shoved past him and into Vienna's room, closing the door behind her. "Vienna, can I talk to you?"

"Of course, Caroline." she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

"You know what we are, George and I," Caroline began. "You know our way of life."

"I do."

"I want you to have the opportunity of life ahead of you. I want you to be one of us. Of course, it is ultimately your choice."

"Turn me." Vienna said simply.

Caroline was taken back with surprise. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."