Don't Hold This War Inside

I Can Feel It All

Caroline, Jude, and Vienna were quiet as they walked through the woods. Jude had been able to catch the scent and they followed it almost twenty miles through the woods before they came to a large white house with two floors.

"This is where it stops, Caroline."

She sighed as she felt something inside her soul pulling her closer and closer toward the house. All the lights were on, so they knew there were people inside. They heard laughter and something told Caroline that whoever lived here wouldn't hurt her.

"We're right behind you, Caroline." Jude said as Caroline walked closer and closer to the home. Eventually all three of them stood on the porch. Caroline looked apprehensively to the door as if she were afraid to do anything more than stare at it.

The pull from inside her grew stronger and stronger until, finally, her hand drew itself up to knock on the door. But before she could do this, the door swung open, revealing a short woman with a heart shaped face and caramel hair. Her eyes were a dark topaz and there was a smile on her face.

"Hello. Who are you?" she asked, although Caroline could see the smile falling slightly from her face.

"Does a tall, golden-eyed, blonde haired man live here? His hair is short but--"

"I'm sorry. Who are you?" The woman repeated, the smile gone from her face.

At that moment, someone appeared behind the woman. It was the man from the woods, the man Caroline felt she knew somehow. His expression was one of sadness, shock, and happiness.

"Let them in, Esme."

Jude walked past Caroline and into the house. The woman who'd answered the door, Esme, backed herself against the door, an expression of slight fear on her face.

Caroline and Vienna followed Jude into the living room where there were a few other vampires sitting.

"Who are these people?" a tall girl with long, blonde hair asked snidely.

"Rosalie, don't. Caroline, I--"

"How do you know who I am?" Caroline asked, stepping a little closer to the tall, blonde man.

He sighed. "I am Carlisle Cullen. I took care of you for two years back in--"

"Carlisle?" A tall, extremely muscular man said. His hair was short, dark, and curly, almost like Jude's.

Carlisle looked at the man. "This is her, Emmett."

The big man, Emmett, examined Caroline carefully. "Come with me."

Another blonde man came down a set of stairs, a short, dark haired woman walking behind him. "Carlisle, who is---"

The other blonde man stopped mid-sentence and stared at Caroline as if he were seeing her for the first time. His mouth fell open and he moved in an instant to get close to her. Emmett blocked him by grabbing him around his waist.

"Caroline. Y-you're...I can't believe--"

"Jasper cannot be here, Emmett. Get him out." Carlisle commanded, his voice strained.

"What's going on?" the dark haired girl asked.

"Alice, leave." Jasper hissed, glaring at Carlisle.

"Emmett." Carlisle pressed.

Seconds later, Emmett and the girl called Alice left the house with a struggling Jasper and everyone else remaining looked puzzled.

"Caroline," Carlisle said, stepping forward. "If I could speak with you alone, please."

"She's fine here." Jude said coolly.

"No." Carlisle said. "Follow me."

Jude, Vienna, and Caroline followed Carlisle upstairs into his study. Vienna closed the door behind them and sat in an armchair in the corner of the room, her knees pulled up to her chin. Jude walked over to her, his arm across her shoulder.

"Caroline," Carlisle began. "There is much unknown to you about who you are. But I feel it is time you know."

Carlisle reached out and took her hand.

Suddenly, a loud, blood curdling scream erupted from Caroline as pain shot through her heart and head. She thought she was going to die.