Don't Hold This War Inside

I Miss You Like You Were Mine

Jude rushed to Caroline's side and tried to hold her up. Vienna screamed and curled up in the corner of the office. Carlisle looked absolutely stunned.

Caroline fell to the ground, her eyes wide open and rolling to the back of her head. Her head and the skin around her heart was bright red, as if she had been outside for a very long time. Of course, these parts of her body were scorching to the touch.

Her hands gripped her skull, almost as if she was trying to rip her entire head from her shoulders. Beads of sweat dripped from her hairline and down the rest of her body, absolutely drenching it.

An ear piercing, blood curdling scream of absolute pain erupted from her mouth and Caroline suddenly arched her back so hard, a crack was heard in her spine.

Jude glared at Carlisle. "What the fuck did you do to her?" he yelled.

"Nothing, I--"

The screaming stopped.

The convulsing stopped.

The cries stopped.

Everything stopped.

Caroline lay on the ground absolutely motionless. Her eyes were closed and her skin was far paler than it was before. Her dark hair was damp and stuck to her forehead. Jude proceeded toward her with caution, moving slowly and carefully.

He reached out to her, touching her forehead. "Caroline." he said, though his tone was questioning.

Her eyes opened very slowly and traveled up to meet his. "J-Jude?"

"Yes, I'm here. Should I call George?" he asked softly.

"No," Caroline whispered hoarsely. "Do not call him."

Jude nodded and turned around to see if Vienna was alright. She was sobbing into her hands. Caroline sighed, though the action brought about her a thirst she'd never before encountered. "Go to her."

At that moment, Caroline's eyes moved from Vienna and Jude to Carlisle, who stood over her with a very worried expression on his face. Recognition flashed through Caroline's eyes. "Carlisle?"

He nodded, though he still looked rather uncertain.

Caroline's eyes went to the floor and she stood as best she could. She looked down at herself and noticed that her sweater and shoes had somehow became detached from her in the previous madness.

"I need to leave."

Downstairs, the others were paralyzed with fear. Never before had any of them heard cries of pain such as the ones exhibited from Caroline. They're eyes followed her retreating form as she left their home in only a black lacy bra, tight blue jeans, and no shoes. Her hair was an absolute wreck.

"Where is she?" a hard voice asked.

They all spun around and saw an absolutely livid Jasper standing there. His amber colored eyes burned with anger. But their silence seemed to answer his question because he raced from the room only moments later.

Caroline wandered through the woods, her bare feet making contact with the cool forest floor. The cold night air blew across her skin and she knew that, were she human, she would probably have hypothermia.

She felt shaky everywhere. Her head felt as if someone had shaken it like a salt shaker. Her skin felt clammy and hot at the same time. She sighed to herself, her breath coming out in little white puffs.

"Caroline." The voice started as a whisper. She turned slowly and saw the other blonde vampire coming toward her, the one she had been in love with for almost 150 years. Jasper Whitlock stood there, staring at her as if he thought he saw a ghost.

"Jasper," she choked out. "You were dead. You left me...for another...Maria was her name. You can't be alive."

Jasper looked absolutely hurt. "I am not dead, Caroline. I am a vampire, just as you are."

Caroline blinked and tears of venom fell slowly from her face. "You left me for Maria."

Jasper looked crushed. "Never. I would never have left you for another woman. There is so much we have yet to speak of."

Caroline shook her head. "I don't know what to think anymore."

And in an instant, she was gone.