Don't Hold This War Inside

Loving You Was Easy Once Upon Time

The Volturi arrived the next day around noon. Luckily for them, it was rather cloudy that day so they didn't risk discovery. Carlisle went to the airport to get them while Caroline straightened up her house. She had been working to keep her distance from Jasper all day since the night before.

She was more than certain that all the other vampires had heard she and Jasper's little escapade and Caroline wasn't even bothered by it. Jasper was the one who seemed to be embarrassed about it. He couldn't even look Alice nor Carlisle in the eyes.

Alice had been rather emotional since Jasper had declared their relationship finito. She looked practically suicidal since last night. Caroline, surprisingly, felt no pity or empathy for the girl. She was more than sure Alice had known Jasper had always been in love with someone else.

Sure, Jasper probably got the award for ass-of-the-century by screwing Caroline just yards from Alice, but Alice hadn't been naive. Being more or less a psychic, she had known another woman would come into the picture sooner or later. She had only been in denial.

"They're here." Naima said, crossing her arms and pursing her lips.

Caroline straightened up in the mirror and examined herself one last time in the mirror. She was wearing a strapless, navy blue top with a sweetheart neckline, a black leather jacket, black, skinny jeans, and black Louboutin heels. Her long, thick, dark hair fell around her waist and down to the end of her back.

"I am in no mood for visitors. Unfortunately, the Southern woman in me feels that it would be an absolute travesty not to meet them." Caroline said softly.

Naima chuckled to herself. "I understand how you feel, Caroline.

"There's only a certain amount of vampires me and my home can stand."

"Of course. This will all be over soon. But, you have to remember that a majority of these vampires have fled from their homelands to here to escape the witches."

Caroline turned away from the mirror and looked at Naima seriously. "What do you think these witches want with us?"

Naima looked back at Caroline with nothing but truth in her eyes. "I wish I knew."

"Ah, Caroline, we meet again. Carlisle tells me you've gained your memory back." Aro said delightfully when Caroline greeted the Volturi in the yard.

"I have. It's great to see you again. I see you've brought the whole gang along, haven't you?" Caroline said, a smile crossing her face.

"I have. We are hearing that those witches are nasty business."

The mood around them immediately got serious and Caroline knew it wasn't because of Jasper's powers.

"Nasty business?" Caroline inquired.

A member of the Volturi by the name of Jane spoke up. "Very nasty business. The body of a vampire by the name of Deanne Hun was found in the Alps. She was completely drained of her venom. How? We do not know. There isn't a single object upon this planet that can penetrate a vampire's skin."

All the vampires gasped and immediately started theorizing amongst each other.

"Quiet!" Dimitri, another member of the Volturi yelled.

"Is that all?" Naima asked.

"No," Jane said. "Some of her teeth were larger and longer than the others. Her eyes were neither red, gold, or black. They were white."

"So, you believe that the witches are experimenting on them?" an Irish vampire named Adrian Magus asked.

"Experimenting on them and disposing of the failures."

"But why?" Emmett asked, leaning against a tree.

"Of that, we are unsure. We have never had problems with witches in the past. We have always been very neutral to them. As you can understand, this is highly unexpected. We believe there is a driving force behind their actions. They are not acting along." Caius explained.

"It could be the government. Or the wolves." one vampire volunteered.

"I doubt the government would be so incompetent as to dispose of the bodies of vampires in an obvious place, let alone dispose of them at all. It is not the government."

"Aro, there is no other explanation. The wolves do not have the brainpower to commit such acts. I am afraid the driving force behind this is one we are unfamiliar with." Naima said firmly.

Caroline saw Aro wither slightly under Naima's glare. She found herself wondering if Naima was older than him. She made a mental note to ask that later.

"I think that's enough for one day." Caroline spoke up.

All the vampires dispersed and she gravitated toward Aro. "I believe a long talk is overdue."