Don't Hold This War Inside

Mighty Fine Only Got You Somewhere Half The Time

It had been a week since Caroline had spoken again. It was still hard for her to walk seeing as some of the venom hadn't returned to her legs yet. But Jasper was there every second to help her even when she didn't want to be helped. Today was one of those days.

"Seriously, Jasper, I can walk to the room just fine. Go read a book or something." Caroline said, wincing as she hopped up the stairs one at a time, her hand on the railing.

Jasper scooped her up in his arms and laughed. "That can wait." he said with a smile.

He carried her up the rest of the stairs to their room. Caroline huffed and hit Jasper's chest angrily.

"I'm fine on my own." she growled as Jasper laid her on the bed before sitting next to her.

"I am aware of that," Jasper said. "But I love you that much."

Caroline didn't reply but sighed as Jasper wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close to him. He kissed her forehead and pulled her on top of him so that her head was lying on his chest.

"Thank you, Jasper." Caroline whispered so quietly even Jasper had to strain to hear it.

"For?"

"For loving me. For saving me. For putting up with me." she said, holding on to Jasper tightly.

Jasper stared down at her and tilted her face up to his. "I don't put up with you. I love you. And I'll love you for the rest of time, or at least until you'll no longer have me."

"I'll always have you, Jasper." Caroline said with a small smile.

Jasper chuckled and pulled Caroline closer to him, kissing her softly on her lips. He knew she wanted it to progress into something more but she was in no shape for it. He pulled away much to Caroline's displeasure.

"When you are better," he said. "We'll go somewhere far from here and..."

"And what?" Caroline smiled suggestively.

"And we'll do whatever you want."

They both smiled and were kissing each other when the door opened. Jasper looked past Caroline and saw Alice standing there, a look of quiet resentment on her face.

"I'm leaving." she said quietly.

Jasper sighed. "Okay."

Alice's face clouded with sadness and confusion. "You're not going to stop me? You're not going to try and convince me to stay?"

Caroline gave Jasper a warning look before scooting away from him. She looked Alice dead in her eye. "No, he's not."

Anger swam through Alice's eyes. "You know nothing about him! I love him! Not you!"

Caroline was in front of Alice in a second, holding her by her throat. She shoved her into the wall and a small wince came from Alice's mouth.

"Do not ever tell me I don't love Jasper. I have been married to him for 149 years and some idiot pixie with unreliable visions is not going to stop that. I know more about Jasper than you could ever imagine. Though he was with you for a blink, he was always thinking of me." Caroline hissed, her mouth dangerously close to Alice's neck.

Alice made a choking noise and tried to fight off Caroline but it was useless.

"Are we clear?" Caroline hissed, this time her voice was freezing.

"Crystal." Alice choked out.

Caroline was off of Alice in a flash, thanks to Jasper. Alice struggled to her feet, tears in her eyes.

"You didn't even love me, did you?" Alice asked Jasper.

Jasper took a furtive glance at Caroline and shook his head. "No, Alice. I can't say i did."

Alice let out a small cry and vanished.

"Caroline, I--"

"Don't talk to me , Jasper." she said angrily. it was seriously pissing her off that Jasper had never mentioned her to Alice. It pissed her off to know that he hadn't even told Alice he was still in love with Caroline.

"What did I do?" he asked, confusion in his voice.

"You know, at first I didn't really care what she thought about us, but did she even know about me? Did you ever mention me to her?" Caroline yelled.

"Why would I? I thought you were dead! Why would I mention a dead woman to my wife?" Jasper yelled back.

"She. Was. Not. Your. Wife! I am!" Caroline screamed.

"To me, you were! I moved on, Caroline! How was I supposed to know you were still alive?"

"You didn't even look for me! You made no attempt at all to find out if I was alive or dead! You didn't even care! At least Carlisle looked for me! At least Carlisle cared about me! You obviously don't!" Caroline screeched.

The more Jasper talked, the angrier she was getting. And it wasn't just any anger. It was the kind of anger that swelled white hot in your chest, the kind of anger that made you nauseous and dizzy with rage.

"Why would you ever think that?"

"Because it's true! You didn't care when you were with Maria! You didn't care when you were with Alice! You don't even care now!"

"I don't care? Who was the one that rescued you from those witches? Who was the one that turned you so you wouldn't end up in a coma? I did! You couldn't even save yourself! You never could!" Jasper yelled.

Caroline felt herself deflate inside and out. She couldn't believe what Jasper had just said. He seemed to realize the mistake he made.

"Caroline, I... I didn't mean--"

"No, you did. Or else you wouldn't have said it." Caroline said quietly. She moved past him, her leg wobbling as she attempted to get away from him.

"Caroline, wait."

But she didn't answer him. She didn't even turn around.