Status: Active

Found

Chapter Four

Nicole laughed as the man sitting in front of her at the Coffee Shop, told her a joke. They were both waiting for their coffees and got to talking. Nicole learned much from this man, he seemed like an open book but he also looked extremely familiar. His name was Charlie; he worked as a Realtor and lived with his daughter in two story brick house.

Nicole looked more closely at the man; His eyes were blue and his hair was brown. When he smiled, a dimple on each cheek showed. Warmth was the vibe she got from him, something she was not used too.

“Wow, Nicole you changed a lot from the last time we talked.” He said, his eyes looking straight into hers. Confusion showed on her face. When did we talk? she thought as the coffees were called. Charlie got off the wooden chair and walked up to the counter.

Nicole thought about this and then remembered on why he looked so familiar. Charlie Davis, her best friend when she moved to Huntington Beach when she was ten. They promised to be friends forever and not to forget about each other. Nicole bit her lip, she did forget about him.

Charlie came back to the table and handed her the coffee she order. “I know this is sudden, but would you like to come over for dinner tonight?” He asked before taking a small sip from the steaming cup.

“Sure.” Nicole got out a pen and wrote her phone number down on a napkin. “Just call me and we’ll talk.” She handed Charlie the napkin, hugged him good-bye and walked away. For the first time since a year, a smile came across her glossed lips. Not a forced smile but a real happy smile.

Charlie smiled as Nicole walked away from him, even though she changed on the outside and a bit on the inside she was still the same funny girl he knew. He walked away from the small metal table and to his truck. It was almost ten o’clock and he was opening an open house soon.

----
Anya noticed the smile on Nicole’s face as she walked into the condo. Her face was bright and there was a small bounce in her step. The smile didn’t go away until she sat next to Anya with her laptop on lap.

“You’re happy today. Who’s the guy?” Anya asked, already knowing it was a man that talked to her this morning.

Nicole laughed as she turned on the laptop, ready to write more of her second novel. This was Nicole’s weekend job, while during the weekday she worked for the company called, Jason’s. Jason’s became the “in” place for suits and dresses. They had many shops around the world and Nicole worked in one of them in Huntington Beach.

“I just had coffee with an old friend..” Nicole said, as she pulled up her latest story. It was about a woman in the 18th Century.

Anya gave one look to Nicole, she wanted more about this old friend and she was going to get more. She turned down the volume of the television and got more comfortable on the couch.

“What’s his name? Where’s he from? How did you guys meet? Does he have a wife?” Anya asked the only few questions out from the thousands she had in her head.

Nicole finish typing chapter 16, rested the laptop on the coffee table, and turned around to face the other woman. Her smile grew more as she thought about Charlie.

“His name is Charlie Davis. He is from here. We met when I moved here when I was ten. He doesn’t have a wife but he has a daughter.” Nicole answered the few questions before her cell phone rang.

She answered the phone and walked away from Anya to the balcony. Anya knew it was Charlie on how she walked away and smiled as she talked into the phone. Anya smiled at her friend, she was happy she finally met a guy but what about Matt? Was he nothing to her?
----
Matt walked inside his house, his lab Bella barking loudly. The doctors said he was lucky that his car only hit a fire hydrant and, with wearing no seat belt, he only broke his arm. The small puppy ran into the family room and barked at him. Matt chuckled and pet the small dog’s head. The dog licked him in return and ran out the doggy door into the backyard.

Matt sighed as he slowly got used to being not able to move his arm as well, and walked into the bedroom. The walls were still gray and the furniture was still black, nothing changed when he was gone. He slowly unzipped his shorts before getting out a pair of basketball shorts and putting them on.

As he walked out of the room, something caught his eye. He turned around to see the small brown bear he gave Nicole by his bed. A small smile formed on his lips but he walked out of the small hallway, through the family room and out into the small backyard. He rested on the wooden lounge chair, his thoughts going to Nicole.

He wondered how she was doing, if she met anyone but mostly if she still loved him. After he left her three years ago, he regretted his actions quickly. He still loved Nicole and he wanted her. He wanted to see the familiar happy smile on her face. He wanted to hear her laugh. He wanted to smell her soft scent of strawberries.

“Oh Nicole, can’t you see what you’ve done to me?” Matt asked out loud as Bella sat next to him on the small wooden porch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Charlie