Jasey Rae

Long Time No See

JASEY RAE

“Your emergency exits are here and here.” a flamboyant male flight attendant said over the PA. An overly botox’d stewardess with Barbie-pink lipstick smiled and waved her arms around accordingly.
                                                            i hate this >.<           
            I texted my friend Miranda and made sure to push extra hard on the buttons for emphasis.
                                                im sorry :( call me when you land

          “Miss,” the botox’d stewardess said, hovering over me. I threw a fake smile at her. “I’m going to have to ask you to put your cell phone away.”
            
“Of course,” I smiled again with my teeth clenched and held down the power button on my phone. Botox lady walked away with her “sensible shoes” as I took a folder out of my bag. I opened it slowly then pulled out a piece of paper in hopes that I had read it wrong the first one hundred times. It read:

Jasey Rae,
            Thanks for filling in for Miranda for Warped! I hope you enjoy yourself! You’re only going to cover a few bands this time around since Miranda had only planned to be there for a weekend. Jerald will be there next weekend. Here’s the list of who you’ll be seeing:

A Rocket To The Moon
All Time Low
Cobra Starship
Hey Monday
Mayday Parade
The Maine
VersaEmerge
We The Kings 

            Just put the recorder on and let them ramble then ask them the fan questions that I printed. It’s all really standard. You know how it works. I know I don’t need to tell you. =] Also, just wanted to point out that I’m really glad that you’re out of the office and in the band scene again! I know you said this was a one-time thing but you should do it again soon! All the bands love you and it’s been too long! Anyway, HAVE FUN!
                                                                                                            Love,
                                                                                                            Stacy xoxo
 

I sighed and balled my hands up around the paper. Why, why, why, why, why oh me? I thought about the conversation I had with a croaky Miranda a few days ago.

“Really Miranda? Out of all the people in the office you had to tell Stacy to let me replace you?” I was pacing back and forth in her carpeted living room.

Miranda pulled her blanket around herself tighter. She was sick with mono and had a fever so I probably should’ve gone a little softer on her but I was up to my eyeballs in anxiety. “I’m sorry,” Miranda croaked her sickness very clear in her throat. “I just blurted your name out Jace. I forgot. I’m sorry.”

“You forgot?” I let out an exasperated sigh. “I haven’t been out doing band interviews in two years and let me just make an emphasis that you know very clearly as to why I no longer do band interviews! Do I need to remind you that-“

“Yes, I know!” Miranda slumped deeper into the couch. “I feel bad enough physically with this stupid mono. Please save the yelling for when I get better?” She looked up at me with her droopy, slightly puffy, eyes and I sighed.

“Fine. But this isn’t the last that you’ll hear about it,” I said sitting down on the arm of a red armchair.

Miranda smiled. “So you’ll go?”

“Yes, I’ll go.” I swung my legs around and let myself fall into the seat and wondered what the consequence of my decision would be.

                                                ***

A few hours later I was off the plane and found myself in a suite in a nearby Hilton hotel, courtesy of the Stacy. I’d seen about a million of these in my lifetime so the place had a strange familiar taste to it. It gave me a pang in my chest that reminded me of going back home around Christmas to see my folks. The feeling that made you think, “I sure haven’t been here in a while”. I gave the room a once over and turned around to tip the bellboy.
“Thank you miss.” he said graciously. “I hope you enjoy your stay with us.”

I nodded and smiled and closed the door behind him. “I sure hope so too.” I muttered.

After moving everything into position I plopped down on the bed and called Miranda.

“How’s California?” Miranda said upon picking up the phone.

“Oh yeah, just peachy.” I got up and walked to the small balcony that came with my suite. “Sunny and warm and lots of people in bathing suits,” I said looking down into the pool. “You know you wish you were here,” I said patronizingly.

“I do. I do. You know what? Let’s trade. I’ll go to Cali and see all the amazing bands and you can be here in New York with mono. Happy?”

“That’s what I’ve been saying this whole time Miranda.”

She laughed at my grouchiness. “Look, I know you’re dreading tomorrow but just relax today and maybe go for a swim in the hotel. Lounge around; get a tan, I don’t know. Just relax and don’t think about tomorrow.”

“And when tomorrow comes?”

“Then you bite down on your teeth and interview the bands. It’ll be fine! A million people would kill to be where you are right now, you know that?”

I swallowed a witty comeback and just replied with an obedient “Yes.”

Taking Miranda’s advice wasn’t easy because everywhere I went I saw advertisements for Warped Tour. “You’d better stop it.” Miranda had said earlier that day. “There’re a lot of old friends that are going to be happy to see you. They’ll all wonder who murdered the real Jasey Rae and replaced her with bitchtastic Jasey Rae.”

“Not all of them deserve to see her.”

Miranda coughed in reply.

I thought about “the old days”, back when I saw people like Hayley Williams, John O’Callaghan, Sierra Kusterbeck or Gabe Saporta every weekend just to hang for lunch. I thought about all the times I got to see art being made before my very eyes; all the times that I got to hear the stories behind the songs and get let into the little world that millions would die to get a glimpse at. I got to see the real story behind a song- the lyrics, the words… I loved the stories. It had been my everyday life. These people were my family; and for almost two years now I had tried to erase every single one from my mind when practically speaking, I only needed to be rid of one.

***

“I don’t think you understand how good looking he is,” I heard a peppy voice say a few feet away from me at the pool bar. It belonged to a strawberry blonde teenager clad in too little clothing who seemed to be in some heated debate with an older boy.

The older boy replied with a smug smile. “It doesn’t matter. So, what? You think you’re gonna go to Warped in two days and then some band guy is gonna see you from the stage and magically fall madly in love with you? Real life doesn’t happen like that, Coleen.” He chuckled and the girl named Coleen stuck her tongue out at him.

“You have no band spirit,” some other girl said. I pushed my sunglasses higher up on my nose and smiled while taking a sip of my drink. I didn’t know “band spirit” meant fantasizing about band boys and how to get a song out of them. With an annoyed sound the girl named Coleen turned away from the boy and propped her chin up on her hand. She looked over at me and let out a little gasp.

“Hey!” she called out to me, the excitement vivid in her voice. She was excited because she saw my credential which I had worn to get a discount on drinks. “Are you here for Warped Tour?” she asked moving her eyes from the badge to my face. Her look was hopeful as if I’d give it to her. If I wouldn’t get my head taken off by my boss I might’ve.

“Yeah,” I said nonchalantly. Clearly, I didn’t feel the same excitement she did. I shrugged.

“Waitwaitwaiwait!” She was almost bouncing. “Shut up! So, you get to meet the bands and stuff?”

I nodded with a tired smile. “It’s nothing really.” I tried to emphasize how disinterested I was. Instead of taking my hint she clasped her hands together and put them to her chest with a longing groan.

“Oh you are soooooo lucky! I would KILL to be you right now.” She looked like she actually would if it’d been socially acceptable.

“Trust me,” I said with a soft smile. I lifted my glass to my lips and took a sip. “Band boys really aren’t worth it.”

                                                                ***

The next morning came sooner than appreciated and I was up at seven to prepare. After a shower I laid out all my materials: my folder, tape recorder, and camera. Beside them was my outfit of choice for the day. It was a hot day so I decided to go with a pair of denim shorts and a purple exposed shoulder tee. The top was loose and comfortable and billowed out on the sides a bit so it wouldn’t stick to me even with the heat. I topped the whole thing off with a pair of wedge heels and my brown sunglasses. Miranda had called me impractical for packing the shoes but I was the type who could run a marathon in heels and survive so I disregarded her words. After I was dressed I packed my supplies up into my canvas bag and slung my camera over my shoulder. A final look over in the mirror reassured me some and reluctantly I stepped out the door.

My first interview was at nine, each lasting for about an hour. As customary I tried to keep the interviewing part of my visit short when seeing the bands considering it was usually a bands’ day off. Also, this left more time for free, unrecorded conversation. Today I would be doing interviews all day, (I’d scheduled a time slot with each bands’ tour manager) and tomorrow would be a performing day. With this fact in mind I ran over the questions Stacy had given me to ask diligently so I could get in, ask the questions, and get out and let the band have their free day of rest and give other interviewers their chance to see the bands.

Jasey? R u rlly here? :D

I looked down at my phone as it buzzed on the Starbucks coffee table. It was a text from Cassadee Pope, the lead singer of “Hey Monday.

its been a while

i cant believe ur finally bak! how long u here 4? I hear we’re ur 10 o’clock! its rlly been too too long jasey. u have explaining to do.

I made a face at my phone remembering the last time I saw Cassadee. It was her birthday, two years ago and we’d all been so happy, drinking and singing not caring who heard. Where did those days go? I continued my conversation with Cassadee as I left Starbucks and made my way to the bus lot where all the bands’ buses would be.

ill c u in a little while. i gtg c WTK

I sent the text and took a sip of my coffee. “Here goes…” I thought as I rounded the entrance gate of the bus lot and walked in. Dozens of busses lined up in their respective parking spaces and I found myself smiling at the long forgotten sight. I lifted my camera to my face and took a shot of this brought back memory. “Hello,” I said quietly as I heard the shutter click.

Navigating the bus lanes like a pro, I found the “We The Kings” bus in no time. One knock and the door opened. “Travis…” I breathed. I got a pang in my chest at the familiarity of my old red headed friend.

“Jasey?!” Travis’ eyes widened in surprise to see me and held his hands out to help me climb up the inconvenient bus stairs. Before I could say hi he grabbed me in a hug, squeezing me. “What the hell are you doing here?” he smiled. He looked like he’d just woken up not too long ago.

“Didn’t Danny tell you I was coming?” I said, smiling. “I spoke to him this morning.” There was a nervous flipping in the pit of my stomach. I wasn’t sure how to approach my old friend.

“He said we an interview today but didn’t mention who was doing it! The dick!” I laughed as Travis set me at an arm’s length to give me a look over. “It’s so good to see you!” He said ruffling my hair. I loved Travis’ warm contagious smile and felt my traitorous eyes well up.

“I’m sorry… that it’s been so long…” I looked down at my shoes.

“Jase.” Travis nudged me. “It’s cool. We totally understand.” I looked back up at him as he said everything I had been hoping to hear. A tear trickled its way down my face and I rubbed it away with the heel of my hand. “Aw don’t do that!!!” Travis exclaimed handing me a tissue. “You know how I get when I see people crying and once I start…”

“He bawls like a newborn.” Hunter said coming up behind him. I smiled. “Hey Jasey Rae. Glad to see you’re back from the dead.”

Shortly after the exchange of greetings and hugs we started the interview. By 3 o’clock I’d seen all of the bands on my list except for one. Most of the bands reacted similarly to Travis upon seeing me and I felt like I was at a cheesy family reunion. We got the questions over with quickly and then spent time catching up and slowly I admitted to myself that I was stupid for hiding away from all of them for all this time.

“What the hell did you do that for?” Gabe said, resting his arm on the back of the couch. His other hand ran through his thick hair lazily. “You were like fucking Houdini or…” he thought for a moment.

“Bin Ladin.” Ryland chimed in.

Vicky T rolled her eyes at both of them and gave my arm an encouraging squeeze. “You’re family, Jasey. We missed you.”

I felt so relieved and soon enough came out of the protective comfort zone I had given myself and exchanged numbers with my old friends.

“Was it really necessary to change your number?” John O’Callaghan asked me with an annoyed mumble. He was crashing on “A Rocket To The Moon”’s bus and had been there for the whole interview, surprised to see me just like the rest. “You coulda just told the dick to fuck off and that’s it.” Nick kicked him in the foot and John flipped him the bird.

“Shut up.” Nick said, saving my number into his phone.

“I will when you get a haircut,” John stretched out on the couch.

“I will when you get off my bus.”

John gave him the finger again.

When 3 o’clock rolled around I was dreading it. The happiness and relief I had felt from meeting up with my old friends faded away and was replaced with that gut wrenching reluctance. I had one last bus to get to and it wasn’t one I was looking forward to seeing. I looked down at my roster and shut my eyes tight.

ALL TIME LOW

The roster had the words printed out loud and clear and I felt the happiness of the day melt away even more. I had half a mind to worry the pizza I had with the Friday Night Boys would come back up. I decided that I’d delay my arrival since it was only an interview and after the questions I didn’t have much more to say to the guys of “All Time Low”. What was there to say when I couldn’t even read their band’s name without biting my lip?

“It’s just an interview,” I said over and over to myself but this reassurance was useless. I kept walking, avoiding their bus and found myself near the big stage. I thought for a moment and hopped up on it and sat on the edge. “It’s been a while…” I mused. Looking over I noticed an unnamed set of drums set up on stage and watched as techs ran from backstage to front, setting marker tapes on the floor and shouting directions. No one paid me any attention as I wore a credential and I wasn’t really interfering with their set up but curiosity got the best of me and I walked over to the drum set. I hesitated a moment but sat down anyway and picked up the discarded drum sticks and began beating out a ticking, quick rhythm. Soon enough I was smiling as I played around on the symbols. I really had no experience in drumming other than the little short lessons my friends had given me in the past, but I was enjoying myself anyway and smoothly changed my rhythm and started drumming out something else.

“I know that one,” someone said from stage right. I turned and saw a bright smile, one that could only belong to Rian Dawson. I held my breath. “Well, I never would’ve believed it if I hadn’t of seen it myself; Jasey Rae is out of New York and out of hiding.”

I didn’t speak for a moment and just stared at Rian who was still smiling at me. “How’d you know I was in New York?” I asked, still anxious.

“Matt told me you called and said you were working for ‘RL’ now,” his smile widened. “So you don’t come to see us in person but stalk us through the papers. I see how it is.” He laughed to himself and I set the drum sticks back in their holder. “So, are we strangers?” He asked when I didn’t make a move to come out from behind the drums.

I got up hesitantly and walked towards him, not knowing why I was so apprehensive. Without a moment’s hesitation Rian hugged me and I began to cry. This wasn’t like when I saw Travis earlier in the day where a few tears trickled out. I was shuddering this time with every tiny wave of sobs.

“Aw Jase… Where’d you go, huh? Just cause things got a little rough didn’t mean you had to go like that. If anything the rest of us missed you like hell. Actually he-“ Rian stopped talking when he felt me stiffen in his arms. “Sorry.”

I nodded and pulled back from his hug and let out a little laugh as I wiped my eyes. I’d missed Rian so much. He was like my older brother. Actually he’d been the first one to try and teach me how to drive.

I sighed and smiled. “Hi,” I said finally.

He laughed. “Hi! So… bus?”

I nodded and he put his arm around me as we walked off the stage. It took me a while but I finally started speaking full sentences once we got back to the lot. “How’s everyone?” I asked softly.

“To be honest, we’re all the same as when you left us. No one’s grown up much. In fact I think the only thing that’s changed is that Zack’s gone on steroids and…” Rian paused with a smile. “Jack finally learned how to read because of Twitter.”
I smiled, knowing full and well about Zack’s Hulk sized body and Jack’s Twitter Fame from work and noted the bits Rian left out. “Does he know I’m here?” I asked, finally.

Rian shook his head. “He’s hungover ask fuck. He was sleeping till like thirty minutes ago. He’s gotten no notice today though I’m sure Flyzik’s told him by now to get dressed for an interview.”

I nodded and swallowed as we approached the bus.

“We need to get some In and Out burger later. I’m starving.” Zack Merrick said, walking up to Rian from around the bus. He was shirtless (notoriously so) and his exploded curly afro was drenched with sweat.

“First off,” Rian said half rolling his eyes. “When are you NOT starving? And second off, look who’s here.” He gestured to me and I waved with a smile.

Zack squinted against the sun and then his eyes widened in shock. That face transformed into a smile and he laughed a bit. “Oh shit. You probably should…” he scratched his head, clearly feeling awkward. “Good to see you Jasey.” To Rian he said, “I’ll be back in five.”

“Yeah go dry your poodle.”

Zack walked off, ignoring him.

“So, you ready?” Rian asked.

I took a breath. “Yeah,” I shrugged. “What the worst that can happen?”

Rian opened the door to the bus. “Welcome to our humble abode.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated! :D