Thanks For Loitering

Jaxon;

It has been almost six months since that drunk driver hit my parent’s car. Six fucking months, and I still detest that drunken idiot that killed my parents. I also hate that the police never caught the bastard... I really wish they could be here to witness their youngest son turn fourteen. And I wish that their youngest still had parents to share this with.

I woke up and got dressed early so I could pounce on Jonnie. He had a big day ahead of him, you know, with it being his birthday. Our grandma and I planned a party with a few of his close friends and some of our family. For him, I think today is going to be great.

“Jonnie!” I shouted before jumping on top of his bed.
Startled, he just mouthed an, “asshole,” and sat up.

See, here’s the thing about Jonnie. He’s mute, and ever since he was little I’ve taken care of him. It’s not so bad as it may seem. He’s the only one I really have, besides my grandma and grandpa. I really care about what little family that I have left.

Then, there’s me: “Depressed, and on the verge of self-destruction.” Or so my therapist says. I guess you could say, my therapist and Jonnie are the only ones remotely close to me, and know every detail about me. I’d also like to keep it that way. I don’t want to lose anyone else important in my life.

I have to be strong for Jonnie, so that he’s happy. And that doesn’t seem to be working. I also have to fake that I’m okay so that my grandparents don’t have to worry. They have enough to deal with, like Jonnie and if he’s going to be okay. We’re all worried that he’s taking this worse than I am.

But then again...

I smiled and gave my brother a knuckle sandwich. Today was his birthday and luckily our last day of school.

On the walk to school, I noticed that there was a group of guys heading towards me and Jonnie, so I immediately turned around with my little brother and we both tried staying away from the obvious assholes.

“Hey,” one called out, he grabbed my arm and turned me around to face him.
“What do you want?” I asked, avoiding looking at the guy.
“Oh, nothing, someone just told us to look out for little queer-bags like you walking around.” he just gave me a smug look as he cupped my chin with his hand.
“Leave us alone,” I spat in his face, broke from his grasp and ran, taking Jonnie with me.

Just as we got to school, the bell rang and we were late. I watched Jonnie walk to his class and soon after I made my way to my own.

Mrs. Springs glared at me for being late, but I didn’t care. That usually happens with her. Class started and I was quiet as ever.

---

By the end of the day, me and Jonnie were exhausted. We met up in the front of the school, and waited for our grandparents to pick us up. I was not going to risk running into those guys from this morning.

“How was your last day, kids?” my grandma asked, smiling as always.
“It was great,” I dragged out the ‘r’ and Jonnie signed a, “What he said.”

The rest of the drive home was silent. And I found myself conversing with Jonnie through sign language, occasionally laughing.

When we got home, the party was set up and everything was in place. We walked in and turned on the lights to see family and friends shouting, “Surprise!”

I laughed at Jonnie’s expression. He just stood there until grandma moved him toward everyone, and then the party started. He eventually got around giving hugs, and signed a, “thank you,” to everyone.

After the cake and gifts, Jonnie pulled me aside.
“Can you take me to the movies?” he signed and I smiled.
“Sure,” I pulled him in for a one armed hug and a knuckle sandwich. Today is a great day for the both of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Like it? Comments, por favor? :)