I'll Die Regretting the Time I Lost

Chapter 6

I spent a little more time out with the twins and Zacky at the park before we left and drove back to my dad's house. I had to drop the kids off before heading over to Matt's and since Zacky walked to the park, I wasn't exactly going to leave him since Jimmy and Brian had left already with Kitty.

"Thanks again for the ride," he said breaking the now awkward silence.

"No problem." I replied keeping my eyes on the road. More silence followed as we came up to the house and I pulled into the driveway.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am-"

"Don't. Don't do this Zacky, not now okay?" I warned him as I felt tears well up in my eyes. I shut the car off and sat there for a moment looking at my hands trying to focus on other things, but all I could think about was once again, the last time I saw him. I felt his calloused fingers lift my head up to look at him.

"I need to Mel, I know you have a family now so what I say might not matter to you entirely, but I've missed you so much. I'm sorry things ended the way they had between us. When I found out you tried to kill yourself, I was afraid I'd lose you forever. When I read that note that Kitty gave to me I was confused. Why would you ever think I'd cheat on you?" He said looking into my eyes as tears started pouring.

"I-I know what I heard that night Zacky, I went over t-to tell you about my mom when I heard a girl moaning in your room. You don't have to lie to me okay?" I couldn't look at him and felt him wipe my tears away.

"Baby, that wasn't me. It was my sister and her boyfriend. They got drunk and apparently thought that my room was hers. I would never cheat on you okay? I loved you too much to do any of that." He explained as he wrapped his arms around me, allowing me to cry on his shoulder.

"Then who was that girl K-Kitty saw you with?"

"It was my cousin Zoey. She was visiting at the time and apparently Kitty scared her when we ran into her at the airport when we got back too."

After all these years, I had finally known what happened that night. I felt relieved, but at the same time, I felt even more guilty than before. If I had listened to him, or gotten the truth sooner, maybe I wouldn't have had to hide the fact that I was pregnant.

"I'm so sorry Zacky," I cried out as I held onto him.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for okay? It's in the past." He said quietly as he rubbed my back trying to calm me down.

"B-But I-"

"No it's okay, I would be hurt too if I thought you did something like that to me."

"W-We should probably get the kids in the house before we go." I said before pulling away to get out of the car. I opened the door to the backseat and moved to get Amy out of the car carefully without waking her.

"Need any help?" He asked as he stepped out of the car. I nodded slightly and motioned for him to grab Aiden. We walked up the steps and into the house.

"Dad! We're home," I called out before quickly looking at the kids hoping I didn't wake them as we walked up the stairs.

"Did you all have fun at the p-" he stopped himself from speaking as he walked out of his room and saw Zacky holding his grandson.

"Hi Mr. Haner," Zacky waved a bit awkwardly before looking at me.

"Hello Zacky, it's been awhile." He greeted Zacky but was looking at me. I could feel the tension right now and it was about to drive me crazy.

"Where are they staying?" Zacky asked breaking the silence.

"Down the hall on the right." I replied before watching him practically bolt in that direction. I looked over at my and raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Don't go all innocent on me now Dad, I saw that look you gave him when you realized he was here."

"Well, it's been awhile since I've seen the guy that broke my little girl's heart. Can you blame me? And does he know that-"

"No, but if you must know why he's with me right now, I ran into him at the park. Amy got lost and we looked for her everywhere. But then he found her and brought her back. They know who he is Dad, I can tell they do."

"Well are you two-"

"No, we're not back together, but we did talk about what happened before I left and it was all a huge misunderstanding."

"Are you sure he's not lying? I just don't want to see you get hurt again." he said.

"If he does, I will probably have to bail you and my brother out of jail. " I giggled.

"If he's smart enough he won't let you get away again." He replied before turning his head to see Zacky walking back towards us.

"He woke up for a minute, but I somehow managed to get him to fall asleep again." Zacky said while looking at the floor.

"I'll bring Amy and then we can g-"

"Don't worry about it, I'll take her and you two go." My dad interrupted and took Amy's sleeping form out of my arms.

"Thanks, I'll see you later okay?" I smiled a little before kissing him on the cheek and leaving with Zacky.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been a super long time since I've updated this or some of my other stories, but I've been dealing with a few things and writer's block hasn't helped matters much either. But after all the waiting, you guys now know what really happened that night when she thought Zacky cheated. Hopefully more updates will come soon with this story as well as my others.