Status: Completed

Find the Horizon

Chapter 02

Sidney came by the hospital again the next day. He was surprised when he knocked on Katie’s door and found that she was alone, fiddling with what looked to be a video camera. She glanced over at the door and smiled at him, putting the camera down on the bedside table.

“Come in.”

Sidney entered the room and came to sit down next to her bed. “How are you feeling today?”

“I’m alright,” she answered. “I have this really annoying cough that won’t go away, but other than that I have no major complaints.”

“What were you doing before?” Sidney questioned, pointing to the camera. “If you don’t mind me asking.”

Katie shrugged and shook her head, reaching over to pick the video camera up. “I’ve decided to keep a video diary of everything that’s been happening so far,” she explained. “That way, whether or not I make it through this process, someone will have something to look back on and know that I did my best to get through it.”

She held out the camera to Sidney who took it in his hands. “What do you want me to do with it?”

She shrugged. “Go crazy? I had Andrew take hold of it one day and the footage is actually hilarious. Film whatever you want.”

He blushed. “I’m not really used to being behind the camera. I’m afraid I’m not really that good.”

She chuckled and took the camera back. Switching it on, she said, “Well then, Mr. Superstar, I guess I’ll just have to film you.” She cleared her throat, the camera facing herself, and started the recording. “Today is Monday April 13th 2009, the time is around noon. I have been in this hospital for about a week now while they get me ready for the chemotherapy. Yesterday I had a very special, very famous visitor. And here he is again--Sidney Crosby.”

Katie turned the camera so that it was focused on Sidney. He gave a small wave, not really sure what else to do.

“Introduce yourself,” she urged.

“Uh, I’m Sidney,” he said, scratching at the back of his head. “Katie and I met under some very strange circumstances. But even though I’ve only known her for a day, I feel like it’s been a lifetime.”

Katie turned the camera back to herself. “See, Mom? I have famous friends.” And then she turned the camera off. Beaming at Sidney, she said, “I hope you know that you’re going to be in more than one video entry now. Once you’ve been in it once, you’ve gotten yourself signed up for life.”

Sidney laughed. “Okay. I’ll try to remember that.”

Katie set the camera down again, leaving it on the mattress this time. “When are the playoffs starting?”

“This Wednesday,” Sidney responded. “We’re playing Philadelphia in the first round.”

Katie’s eyebrows flew up. “Wow, that should be one hell of a series.”

“There’s going to be a lot of media coverage,” Sidney agreed. “The battle of Pennsylvania and all that jazz.”

“But it’s exciting,” she prodded. “I mean, you guys were so close to the Cup last year. Maybe this year with your new coach you’ll win it.”

Sidney felt his smile growing wider. “You know a lot about the Pittsburgh Penguins, don’t you?”

She nodded proudly. “I love hockey. My whole family does...and I wanted to watch the last few games of the regular season, but the TV’s been kind of on the fritz,” she explained, pointing to the old, white TV mounted from the ceiling on the top left hand corner of the room.

“Do you want me to see if I can get someone to come fix it?” he offered. “I mean, it does get really quiet in here.”

“That’d be great,” she answered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. After a few seconds of momentary silence, she asked, “Are you nervous for the playoffs to start?”

Sidney shrugged his shoulders slightly. “A little bit, I guess. But it’s more excitement than anything. The guys really believe that we have a second chance at the Cup.”

“Of course you do. You guys are amazing,” Katie insisted. “I believe in you, if that means anything.”

Sidney placed a hand over hers and looked right into her eyes. “It means everything, Katie.”

Katie felt her breath hitch in her throat a little bit, but smiled at Sidney. She could feel her pulse running rampant in her veins as Sidney’s skin touched hers.

Then he asked her a question. “Are you nervous about the chemo? When do you start treatment?”

“I start my first round of chemo on Wednesday, actually,” she mused. “So I guess it’ll be a big day for both of us.”

Sidney sighed. “I wish I could be here with you.”

“I’ll watch you on TV,” she said gently. “So it’ll be like you’re here with me. Well, that is, if someone comes and fixes it...”

Sidney chuckled and stared down at his hands. “But are you scared?”

Boldly, Katie shook her head. “I’m not. And there’s only one reason why.”

Sidney looked up at her. “Why’s that?”

“There’s no point in being scared of something that could save my life.”

Sidney smiled. “Katie, you’re a brave girl.”

She let her head sink into the pillow slightly. “Don’t call me brave yet, it’s barely started. I have to be strong for Andrew, though. He’s only nine. He’s technically only my half-brother, but he’s all I’ve got. He understands what’s going on, but just barely. If anything, he’s what’s keeping me from giving up.”

Sidney’s phone started vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out and gave a bit of a groan. “I’m sorry, but I have to go,” he apologized. “I have practice and I forgot about it.”

“That’s okay,” she smiled. “I’m guessing you’re not going to be able to come by tomorrow?”

“No, I can’t,” he muttered, sounding disappointed. “The team and I have to get ready for the first round. I’m really sorry.”

“Stop apologizing,” she laughed. “It’s alright, Sidney. Believe me. Just...come back and visit again. That’s all I can ask of you.”

“I will,” he vowed. “And I’ll also get someone to come and fix your TV.”

Katie laughed again, the sound of her voice bouncing off the walls. Sidney felt a flutter in his chest. “Thank you, Sidney. Now, go on. Your team needs you.”

Sidney said his goodbyes and walked out of the hospital. He drove the short distance to Mellon Arena where the rest of his team was already on the ice.

“What took you so long, Captain?” Maxime Talbot joked. “Were you with a girl?”

Sidney glanced over at Bill Guerin, who was sending him a look. “Well, were you?”

“She’s not just a girl,” Sidney told them. “She’s...incredible.”
♠ ♠ ♠
All I can say is wow. I'm really glad you guys like the story so far. The number of readers for Chapter 1 was crazy, something like 136. Anyway! I hope Chapter 2 doesn't disappoint.

Don't remember if I mentioned this or not but this story is going to be 15 chapters long. So comment please!

And also, if you signed up for my contest and haven't submitted your entry or started writing, get on that...deadline to submit is in a few weeks!

Livia<3

PS. Saw both Inception and Despicable Me. Inception screwed with my mind and Despicable Me made me die of cuteness.