Status: done!

Just Keep Your Head Above

reintroduction.

"Come on, wake up," Charlie said pushing down on my mattress making me move uncomfortably. I groaned sitting up and opening my eyes. Charlie smirked and pumped the mattress a couple more times before I finally hoisted my body up. I punched him in the arm.

"I have a fucking brain injury you psycho," I laughed throwing my legs over the side of the bed, adjusting my short plaid boxers that were hidden under the giant white v-neck I had been wearing. I moaned, over-dramatically as I stretched my limbs, still stiff from sleeping.

"Boo-freaking-hoo, Core the doctors said you're officially, like, healthy again," Charlie rolled his eyes at me and started looking through my stuff, before lifting up a bracelet and smiling. "Here, put this on and get dressed," Charlie ordered not specifying anything other details. I looked at the bracelet he left on my dresser before walking out of the room telling me to hurry or something, it was cute. I slipped it on my wrist before walking to my closet.

I had been in my room in for the past two weeks, I was so confused about where things were and it was like being in a strange land with no map. I found out Charlie was moving back into the dorms in a couple of weeks and ever since then he's been haggling me to hang out and go to parties with him. Which until yesterday I had a medical excuse and an overprotective mother on my side. Now all of the sudden my mom was badgering Charlie to spend time with his me and take me out and the doctor said I was in the clear.

I had stayed up most of last night, staring at the white ceiling occasionally drifting to pictures that lined the cerulean walls. I wondered what my life had been like in the last two years, if they were good years or bad years. If I had a plethora friends and had come out of my shell or if I had only a few friends and was still a bit of recluse. I snapped back to reality when I heard Charlie's voice yelling at me to hurry up. I stepped towards my closet and looked at everything, I wanted to be at the beach so bad, I was melting here. I grabbed some frayed denim shorts, a over-sized, cropped black shirt over the white cami I had been wearing. After changing and adjusting my shirt to slip off my right shoulder I put my hair in a loose side-braid and did my makeup.

While I was putting the finishing touches of mascara I found a cool bracelet with a feather charm on it and decided to slip it on with the one Charlie told me to put on. I grinned finally satisfied with my appearance. I walked down the stairs and snuck up on Charlie and punched him in the arm. Chase started snickering and right when Charlie was about to snap a comeback at us he seemed taken back.

"What are you wearing?" He asked looking me up and down, lingering at the short shorts. I looked at Chase who seemed to be engrossed with his PSP and no longer into our conversation. I didn't understand Charlie, one minute it's "get dressed quick!" now he's dragging his feet.

"Clothes, what are you wearing?" I asked looking him up and down. He was wearing weird jeans that were tighter than the board shorts I remembered him living in. A baseball t-shirt with magenta sleeves and similar flip-flops to mine. I tilted my head at the jeans, didn't guys wear baggy pants?

"These are what's in fashion since 2006," he grinned playfully. I frowned, it's not my fault I didn't know fashion anymore since getting conked on the head. I suddenly became self-conscious of what I was wearing, wondering if it was drab or out of fashion. "It's weird, you dress the same as before the accident," he grinned before grabbing my hand. "Ma, we're going to John's house, see you later!" Charlie yelled, deafening me in my right ear.

"Oh, take me with you! Shane invited me to play video games," Chase said, poking his head up from his game. My mother came in with her hands on her hips right as Charlie was about to lay some words on his little brother.

"Wow, that's a surprise, because you don't play enough video games here," I said rolling my eyes. Charlie bumped my hip with a boisterous laugh and Chase flipped me off, earning a slap on the head from our mom. Somehow it ended up in all of us laughing.

"Charlie, take your brother," She ordered before going down the parental tell-off list. "Chase, be nice to your sister and Cory be nice to both of your brothers and have fun sweetie," She said kissing my cheek, before hugging both my brothers. "Say hello to Sharon for me!" My mother yelled as we exited the house. I nodded, not knowing who Sharon was, but nodding anyways and walked out, shoving my phone in my pocket and following Charlie. Chase snuck past us in the doorway and shouted out "shotgun" before sprinting and ultimately running into the car.

"Calm down, spaz," Charlie laughed, a deep hearty laugh from his chest. I smiled climbing into the backseat. The two of them were arguing about something or other as I watched the scenery of houses, trying to take mental notes of where I was going and where I was.

"Hey Charlie, I forgot to ask, who's John?" I asked tilting my head, I leaned forward to put both of my elbows on the armrests of the seats. Charlie cracked a smile and pulled into a driveway already overflowing with cars, which also lined the curb.

"John's my bud, your friend too. He tried to get into your pants when you were a freshman, before Garrett, but he's cool now. Don't freak out if he hits on you," Charlie said like a tour guide. I scrunched my nose totally confused, I climbed out of the car following Charlie and Chase to the front door of a good-sized house.

"What's up bro!" A skinny dirty blonde yelled opening the door and clasping Charlie's hand before pulling him into a weird hug. Chase ignored this and snuck past him to some other skinny kid before they looked at me and snickered running up some staircase. "Oh and hello, Cory you are looking fine as hell today, girl!" The skinny boy said with a ghetto accent before wrapping me in his arms. I looked at Charlie completely confused.

"Dude, take it easy, I don't need her to have a mental freak out," Charlie said sternly, bumping the skinny boy on the shoulder. He immediately withdrew from me with a solemn look on his face. "Cory, this is John," Charlie introduced, before John flashed me an eager smile and bustled us into his house. We walked into a living room where people were piled on couches. They all said some form of "hi" and Charlie went around giving them the same handshake, I only saw one familiar face, and that was Garrett, who as soon as I looked at him he darted his eyes away. Charlie returned to my side wrapping a protective arm around me. "Cory, this is Halvo, Pat, you know Garrett, Jared, Tim- Pat's brother, Kennedy, John the jackass, Justin and that's Nick," Charlie said pointing everyone out as they seemed frozen staring at me.

"Nice to meet you all, sorry if I don't remember all of your names, it's a lot," I smiled after giving a small wave. At that moment ten jaws seemed to drop all at once.

"Holy shit, that's trippy," Justin said with wide eyes. They all had the same kind of jeans Charlie had on. I guess he wasn't lying about it being the new fashion, I smiled and nodded awkwardly.

"Dude, I seriously thought you were shitting me when you said she didn't remember anything on the phone," Kennedy spoke with a solemn tone. His brow furrowed as he looked to Garrett with concern, all of them looked at Garrett before looking at me.

"Well, I guess I can start over and pretend like I didn't see you naked sophomore year!" Halvo said waving with a giant smile on his face. My eyes grew wide as I subconsciously covered up my chest, taking a half-step back. "Fuck, I just made it awkward again!" He said dropping his head as Garrett and Charlie both got up in arms.

"What the fuck you saw her naked?!" Garrett asked punching him in the arm. It was both strange and nice that he would come to my defense, but more so strange. He was just someone I had met two weeks ago. However, it was stranger that a stranger had seen me naked and I have no memory of even seeing him period.

"Dude, I'm so kicking your ass later," Charlie grumbled, leading me over to a couch against the wall where no one was sitting. Another boy came in, he was tall and well-built, making a b-line for John. He was cute, I looked over at Garrett, the boy who was supposedly my boyfriend and saw him staring at me. I blushed at looked back to the new boy.

"Hey, retard, mom wants to know who's staying for dinner," He spoke roughly and kept his eyes on John, he glanced up at me for a moment then directed his eyes back down. John turned around and surveyed us, it was decided everyone was staying for dinner. "Hey Cory," he spoke with less edge in his voice. I tilted my head and looked at Charlie.

"That's John's brother Ross, you two were, uh, friends" Charlie filled in the blanks, but created new ones with his tone when he said friends, almost in disbelief. I smiled and gave him a small "hi" before he retreated back into the kitchen.

"Okay, so you don't remember any of us? Or any of the dumb shit and awesome memories we have?" John asked, leaning inquisitively forward on his knees looking at me. I shook my head to say no and he smirked. "I guess we better get to sharing and starting some new sick memories together!" He said, his smirk growing into a crooked smile the rest of the guys cheering.
♠ ♠ ♠
i can't stop writing this
sorry i know i changed to first person, but i was not about to go through the whole thing again and fix it. it may change back, it may not :)
thanks for reading and commenting
love you guiseee.
no proofreading, apologies!