Status: Abandoned WIP. Sorry!

Sing Me To Sleep

Prologue

“’Lex…,” she protested, her eyebrows knitting together and pleading at the tall boy with her dark blue eyes.

Alex had latched his arms onto Katy’s, stopping her from leaving through the worn and peeling gates that very much represented their friendship over the past few weeks. The pale round bulb that was the moon shone down on the two, positioned at that moment in their park.

The girl’s skin was drained – Alex knew it wasn’t just paled from the bright orb in the sky and it hurt his heart to think about the reason. If he could take the pain away from her and inflict it on himself, then he would. He would a thousand times over, just to see her smile genuinely again. Just to see her be the Katy Ross he once knew. The Katy Ross he loved.

He still loved her, of course. How could he not? She was just in a bad place right now. He felt like it was his fault. If she’d just let him help, she could be in such a good place…

“Katy, please,” he begged, brushing her choppy, but now limp, fringe from her eyes so he could stare into them with his own bistre pair. As she stared at him, Katy almost wanted to give in. She almost wanted to fall into his arms, and she almost wanted to tell him everything would be okay. She almost wanted to give into the boy that had been her best friend for the past three years, who’d seen her through thick and thin, and who’d always been there for her, until recently.

Almost.

“Alex,” she said firmly. “I can’t.” She finally tore her eyes, which were somehow a perfect shade of royal blue, away from the elder teenager’s, and left the park, leaving a distressed Alexander Gaskarth in her wake.