Status: Abandoned WIP. Sorry!

Sing Me To Sleep

Chapter nine

When school ended for the day, everybody went to their respective homes to get ready. Cassadee had walked to and from school – she and Rian were still in their argument, and she refused to get in a car with him. No one else had been willing to get in the car with a pissed-as-shit Rian, so Cassadee couldn’t get a lift from Katy, either. However, the car pool plans for the gig had been shifted. Alex was no longer going in Katy’s car. He was going with Lindsey, in her car. Lindsey had been delighted that Alex had seemingly ditched Katy’s ride for hers, when in true fact Alex just really, really did not want to be in a car with Jack. This meant Cassadee could ride with Katy, Jack, Evan and Zack.

“Evan, m’boy!” Cassadee half-yelled when she squeezed herself into the car between Jack and Zack. “How are you, you sexy Finnish fish?”

Evan laughed loudly, and turned from his position in the front seat to look at the tanned girl.

“I am well, thank you, my American firecracker,” he replied in a thick Finnish accent, grinning. Katy laughed.

“Easy, Evan. She’s still with Rian, remember?”

Evan smirked at Cassadee, who was now fluttering her eye lashes, before saying, “Don’t worry, Katy. I would not want to cause any trouble with Mr. Biceps.”

Everyone laughed as they began to make their way towards the venue. It was only small, and friends of the band could sit at the back of the stage if they cared to - which was exactly what Cassadee, Evan and Katy were doing. It was normally awesome – watching the band from behind, looking out at their audience. Except Lindsey would be at the back with them this time, and Katy really wasn’t looking forward to it.

She parked up outside the venue, in the space reserved for the band, and everyone got out of the car except for Katy and Evan. Katy watched as Jack ran up to Matt, who had the van full of their equipment. Jack jumped onto the older boy, causing them both to fall to the floor.

“Katy,” Evan began, looking at his friend. She looked at him, smiling slightly in reassurance before staring at the steering wheel again. “Katy, you are not happy.”

Katy smirked. Evan liked to state things – subtly was not one of his strong points. Katy thought that made her love him even more, though. He got straight to the point, but was careful not to cause too much offense. Evan could say things to Katy that nobody could. He just… there was something about him.

“No, Evan. I’m not.” She sighed and rubbed her face. She felt old – how old, she didn’t know, but she didn’t feel sixteen. She pushed a piece of her loosely curled hair behind one ear, sighing.

“What’s the matter?” he asked tentatively, rubbing her arm. Katy looked at him, analysing whether or not now was the right time to discuss… things. Evan knew she was in love with Alex. Evan had known from the very beginning. He was Katy’s friend outside of the group. Sure, he socialised with them sometimes, but he was Katy’s friend, and so she could tell him things without worry that anybody in the group would find out.

“I just… Alex’s girlfriend’s here tonight,” Katy told him. “She’s going to be sitting with us. She’s so horrible to me, Evan.” A tear slipped down Katy’s cheek. “I think she knows that I love him. Why is she doing this, though?” Evan gave her a sympathetic look. “It’s not like I’m any competition. She’s stunning, and I’m just… well, I’m me.”

Evan put an arm around his friend and kissed the top of her head.

“She will not say anything to you, because if she does I will not hesitate to tell her what she can do with this unnecessary hatred.”

Katy smiled at Evan, and he grinned back.

“Come on, let us get inside before everyone is wondering where we are,” Evan said, giving Katy’s hand one last squeeze before they got out of the car.

“Where’s Katy?” Alex asked no one in particular. Zack looked at him funny. “What?!”

“Bro, you look stressed. Why do you want to see Kate so bad?”

“Huh?! What? I don’t! I’m just wondering where she is, God dammit!”

“Calm the fuck down, Alex!” Jack yelled from over by his guitar. “Katy and Evan stayed in the car when we all got out.”

Alex cast a glare towards the guitarist whilst chewing over this information in his head. Evan. Oh, how Alex hated Evan. Evan had become friends with Katy a little whiles after she and Alex had become friends. It hadn’t bothered Alex much for the first two or so years – he hadn’t yet realised his feelings for Katy, and Evan was still in Finland and away from Katy (which oddly pleased Alex… feelings that wouldn’t become clear for a while). However, as if Evan had perfect timing, as soon as Alex realised he was in love with Katy, Evan was moving to Baltimore and planning to complete two years at their high school. Alex had hated him irrationally ever since, and it was beyond Katy to realise why her best friend hated her Finnish pen-pal.

“Did someone say my name?”

Katy walked into the room, and Alex’s heart was in his throat. It was the first time he’d seen her tonight, and Alex thought she looked amazing. Her honey-brown hair was straight, with a few curls gracing the dark brown undertones. Her make up was darker, more sultry, than she did it for school, and she had a knee-length, strapless black dress on with bright blue tights on underneath. She was also wearing a black cardigan, which Alex thought was odd. It was going to get really hot.

Alex knew the love-hate relationship Katy had with that dress. Her father had bought it for her a couple of weeks before he’d left… He knew it opened wounds. So why was she wearing it? It was beyond him. Maybe to impress Jack; Evan?

Alex shook his head and grinned at his best friend.

“I was just wondering where you were,” Alex informed her, and threw an arm around her shoulders. The arm dropped, however, as soon as Lindsey walked into the room. Her attire for the evening was less subtle, and more of a flashing road sign. Her dress barely covered anything – it was low cut at the top, and as high cut as possible at the bottom. No tights – just heels. Her chocolate brown hair was straightened to a point, and her make-up was as heavy as she did it for school.

“Hey, baby,” she giggled, pushing Katy harshly out of the way with her hips. Katy stumbled, and Evan steadied her, eyes narrowing at this tall, dark-haired girl. Evan did not like the look of her, at all, and not just because Katy had told him this Lindsey girl was mean to her. She had the whole demeanour of a bitch, and Evan did not like bitches. Not one bit.

“Excuse me, little girl,” Evan said, tapping Lindsey on the shoulder. Lindsey turned around and Katy looked at Evan in panic, tugging on his arm to get him to stop. Evan ignored her small tugs and glared hard at the seventeen year old currently attached to Alex’s arm. She raised her eyebrows, not impressed that he had called her a ‘little girl’, waiting for what he had to say.

“You pushed my friend Katy. That was not very pleasant of you to do so. I request that you apologise – she is only small.”

Lindsey rolled her eyes.

“It was an accident, sweetie. Calm yourself!” Lindsey turned back to Alex. Alex wasn’t too impressed with this treatment of Katy either. He shook her off and took a step back, narrowing his eyes at her. Lindsey glared at him, and opened her mouth to say something, but Evan got there first.

He was angry now. This girl was ignorant, and he questioned Alex’s character on choosing her as his girlfriend and not Katy. Katy did have her faults, but they were very minor, and not a chance in hell as big and as vulgar as Lindsey’s.

“Excuse me,” Evan growled, his accent coming thicker. “I understand that you are a very ignorant and arrogant person, but I really do think you need to apologise.”

Lindsey turned around, her mouth forming an ‘O’ at what Evan had just called her.

“Listen to me, Europe boy, just because you’re pretty and you have a fancy accent doesn’t mean you can call me names, got it?”

“No, you listen to me, pretty girl. Just because you think you’re gorgeous, are tall and wear barely any clothing does not mean that you have the right to treat people like pieces of dirt. Katy is my friend. She is a decent person. Katy is the friend of every person in this room, except for you. You need to apologise.” Evan’s fists were shaking. Everybody else was watching silently. Alex was torn. Did he get involved? Didn’t he?

“Oh yeah?” Lindsey challenged. “And what if I don’t? What are you gonna do?”

“Lindsey,” Alex said quietly, his voice dangerous. “Apologise, or you can leave. It’s up to you.”

She stared at him like he’d just called her a very dirty name. His expression did not waver. He needed to get back in sync with his best friend – ever since Lindsey had arrived in Alex’s life, they had been rapidly drifting apart. He saw now that Lindsey didn’t treat Katy quite how she should, or quite how he’d like.

She turned harshly and spat an apology at Katy before storming off towards the venue’s toilets. Alex sighed after a couple of minutes, breaking the awkward silence in the group. He noticed Rian and Cassadee standing as far away from each other as possible. Everyone else was either looking at the toilet door where Lindsey had disappeared or at the floor. Katy was looking at Alex, though, a kind of interest in her eyes…

Alex was next to her in seconds.

“Hey, Evan,” Alex smiled feebly, trying his hardest to be friendly to the Finnish boy. Evan smiled briefly. Evan knew Alex didn’t like him – he hadn’t exactly hidden his distaste in the past. “Could I, er, get a minute alone with Katy? Please?”

Evan nodded, and walked over towards Cassadee. Alex sighed in relief and turned to face Katy.

“Hey,” he said awkwardly.

“Uh, hey, ‘Lex?” She giggled at his discomfort. Alex laughed and rubbed his forehead.

“I’m sorry about Lindsey.” He frowned and stared at his shoes. Katy stayed quiet for a couple of seconds before reaching up and placing her hand on Alex’s upper arm. Alex looked up at her sheepishly. Katy’s heart fluttered, and she smiled.

“It’s not your fault, Alex,” she told him. “I think Evan was making a bigger deal out of it than necessary, to be honest.” ‘That, and I deserve it for being in love with you, her boyfriend,’ Katy sighed mentally.

“Even so,” Alex carried on, smiling at Katy full-on now; a smile that she hadn’t seen directed at her in weeks, “I want you to come over to mine after the show. We haven’t had any ‘best friend time’ for a while now. It makes me sad, Katy!” He started talking in that ridiculous, irritating, over-the-top baby voice – and Katy loved it. He pouted, a smile twitching at the corners of his mouth. Katy smirked at him.

“Well…” Katy pretended to contemplate his offer. Alex looked at her with puppy eyes, knowing she would say ‘yes’ anyway. “Only if I get your Superman pillow.” Alex feigned horror.

“But that one’s the comfiest!”

Katy narrowed her eyes in mock evilness.

“I know.”

Alex pouted and said, “You’re so evil, Katy, but you can have the Superman pillow.” Katy did a fist pump before latching her arms around Alex.

“You’re the best, ‘Lex,” she told him. He told her he knew, and laughed carelessly. It felt so good to be at ease with Katy like this. It had been so long.

Her arms moved from around his neck to encase his waist instead, and she pulled him into a proper hug, resting her face in his neck.

“I missed you, ‘Lex,” she said quietly, knowing he would know what she was talking about. Alex frowned slightly, wrapping his own arms around her waist.

“I know, Kate. I missed you too. I’m sorry.” He kissed the side of her head. So what if Lindsey walked in and saw? What the fuck would she do? Alex didn’t care anymore. He was starting to see Lindsey in a different light. She was disrespectful, both to herself and her body, and to others. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to be associated with that.

“Sorry to break up the sop-fest,” Jack said, grinning and placing his hand on Alex’s shoulder, “but we have to sound check, bro.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I reall hate this chapter. Forgive it. Ugh.

f-lies
Alex needs to sort his priorities out, eh? Thanks for the comment <3
ZombiesGoRAWR
Hahaha! She is, indeed! Jack <3 hahaha. Thanks for the comment <3
rivals are insane
Thanks <3
scandalous;
hahaha oh, I feel special :3 hahah! both of those ideas are very good. I don't think Katy's got the balls, though. Thanks for the comment <3
emmet.the.teddy.bear
'well, well, well. the shit just hit the fan' kind of drama? possibly. Thanks <3
lies; unanswered
hahaha I love all this hate for Lindsey. Thank you <3