Status: Abandoned WIP. Sorry!

Sing Me To Sleep

Chapter eighteen.

The midday sun beat its warm rays down on Alexander Gaskarth like a professional boxer, pummeling his face laden with day-old stubble and bags from a bad nights sleep. He felt battered and bruised physically, but completely numb mentally, the horrors of the morning replaying in his abused mind...

Missed call
Jack Barakat (11)


Alex blinked at his phone as another digit found its way onto the screen. He probably should have answered it, he figured lamely, seeing as Jack had called him 11 times in 5 minutes. He just really didn't give a shit right now. Couldn't be fucked with Jack's stupidity, couldn't cope with being awake and definitely couldn't hope with the heart-quenching revelations that his best friend was hurting herself over
some boy.

Alex rolled onto his side.

His message tone went off, a little bubble of a message lighting up his phone screen.

Katy's in hospital, you fucking dick. ANSWER PHONE.



Jack blinked blearily at him, the stress of the situation etched onto his young face. Alex stared back. The same words played over in his mind. "Nothing we can do" they'd said. Too much blood loss they'd said.

He wished they hadn't said.

Alex barely read the message, the reality of the words diving through his chest and sinking to his stomach like a 500 pound diver, before his phone started ringing again. This time there was no hesitation; the phone rang once and he'd answered.

"Fuck, Alex, you fuck. It's fucking serious - she's fucking dying - I don't know what the fuck to do - Cass is freaking the
fuck out - her mom is fucking catatonic - I'm so fucking.." Jack's incessant babble poured out of the phone, the obvious panic in his voice turning the 500 pounder into a 1000 pounder.

"Jack, shut the fuck up! What the fuck happened?
What do you mean, she's dying?" Alex screamed down the phone, tears already prickling his eyes as he pulled odd shoes on, a denim jacket that was too small for him.

He left the house.

"She's dying, man! She's in surgery right now I don't-... I don't know what the fuck to do! No body's telling us anything! I don't even know what happened, they just called us because Katy's mom asked us to... She's a wreck. She can't even tell us what happened. You need to get here."


All four were now sat in the family room of the hospitals ICU. A family councellor sat in the corner with an unresponsive Katy's mom. Cassadee hadn't stopped sobbing since Alex had arrived, and Jack returned to his position, comforting her. Rian was on his way.

"Jack!" Alex shouted as soon as he saw the boy, pelting over to him.

"Alex," Jack replied wearily, "It's so bad. So fucking bad."

They walked into the family room where Katy's mother was rocking in the corner, sobbing. Cassadee was beside her in a similar state, tears continuously leaking from her face.

"Her mom found her," Jack explained, his voice breaking and tired-sounding. "She... She's cut herself deep."

Alex opened his mouth.

"I know you know. I saw. This morning, when you left." Jack closed his eyes. He looked exhausted. "She lost a lot of blood. I... I think she meant business this time."

Alex sat silent, his mind reeling.

"Why?" he whispered.

Jack looked at him, sympathetic, like he knew something Alex didn't. Alex's brows furrowed.

"Jack?"

"She's in love with you, Alex," Jack whispered, not meeting his eyes. "Cass told me."


Alex sat by the sleeping girls bed, her arms wrapped heavily in bandages, her eyes shut heavily with massive bags sitting under them.

He held her still hand, resting his head next to hers.

"I love you so much," he whispered to her, even though she couldn't hear him. "I wish you'd just talked to me. I wish I'd asked..." Tears started to drip from his tired eyes. "Please don't die on me," he rasped. "I'm begging you. I can't lose you. You mean too much to me."

Alex heart raced. Katy loved him. He'd couldn't believe it.

Before letting it sink in, Jack continued.

"Lindsey bullies her. She's still not over her dad leaving. She's so sick, Alex."

Tears started to drip from Alex's eyes.