Status: Temporary Hiatus - starting College soon, will resume shortly.

Wir sind Eins wie Yin und Yang

Chapter Two.

The sun flooded my bedroom because I’d forgotten to close the curtains after last night. Thursday, that means work, great. As I hauled myself out of bed I checked my phone to find I had a message.

‘Hey, it’s just me ;) we haven’t talked in a while, I’ll have to come over or something to see you. Bye xx’

Rachel, one of few friends I’d left back in England, I rarely went on the computer to e-mail her and phone calls cost a bomb overseas. I put my phone back down and made a mental note to send her a message later, but right now I had to get to work and fast.

I made a quick getaway through the city and turned up at work surprisingly early, I lazily opened the door and checked in before beginning to clean tables ready for the early morning customers who decided they are too lazy to eat breakfast at home. One such group of people who were the first to arrive, I recognised from last night, it was the strangely dressed pair and their two normal friends. Now I could see them properly the two which stood out looked vaguely similar, but it was difficult to see as one of them was wearing thick black make-up.

As they took their seats I took out a couple of menus and headed over attempting to put a smile on my face, I didn’t want to put them off their meal after all. They each looked up at me as a placed the menus down on the table and gave their thanks.

“Can I get anyone a drink?” I offered as they flicked through the list of this morning’s offers and best meal deals.

“Oh, I’ll take an orange juice, please.” The one with spikey hair ordered, everyone else nodded which I assumed meant they wanted the same. I retreated to the kitchen where Michael was getting ready to cook the first orders of the day. His sandy brown hair hung over his forehead just brushing the top of his grey-blue eyes. His olive skin contrasting neatly with the white uniform he wore.

“So, what’s it like this morning?” He asked.

“Nothing exciting, just got one group in at the moment, but they look a little weird.”

“Oh yeah?” He wandered over to the small service window to take a look then turned around and wrinkled his nose. “Not my type.” He declared. “But they look a bit extravagant for this part of the city don’t you think?”

“Exactly. They were up the Fernsehtrum last night as well. Probably just some crazy tourists.” I finished off pouring the drinks and took them out front and gave them each a glass where they were sitting. “Decided anything yet?” Sounding polite isn’t as easy as it seems after an early morning start.

“Eggs please.”

“And how would you like them?” I began to write down the order.

“Scrambled.” He smiled up at me. Then the one who seemed to be his brother or something sniggered which got him a look and a slap on the arm, after that he then gave a questioning look at me.

“Have we seen you before?” He questioned looking confused obviously trying to recall the memory.

“I was in the Fernsehturm the other night. You were complaining about the food.” I tapped the pencil against the paper pad in my hand.

“Oh yeah. Well, I’ll have some eggs and sausage with bacon.”

“Worst vegetarian ever.” The blonde one mumbled under his breath.

“Oh, does mine come with toast?” The first brother asked, to which I nodded in reply. He beamed up at me then took a drink of his juice while I took down the rest of the order then disappeared back into the kitchen with Michael. I passed him the paper and he started getting it ready to be served.

“He was definitely checking you out girl.” He nodded toward the window I looked to see the dark thin one tapping the one with oversized clothes on the arm.

“No he wasn’t.” I set about getting plates ready.

“For sure he was! He’s kind of cute as well, you should get his number.” He looked at me with a glint in his eye.

“No.”

“Well at least get it for me then!”

“What happened to ‘not my type’?” I asked getting cutlery out.

“You’ll regret it.” Michael answered in a sing-song voice. I just glanced at him before leaving the kitchen to take out the first orders. When I came back in to collect the last of the dishes he made a phone sign at me with his hand to which I responded by sticking my tongue out at him. I remained in the café area cleaning things that didn’t really need to be cleaned, with the sole objective to avoid having to face Michael again until the group had left. They were quite loud I’d have felt bad if there’d been any other customers in this early, fortunately no one else was lazy enough to come out for breakfast on Thursday, that all they all had a job to get to.

“Excuse me, would it be possible to get another drink?” The voice piped up on the other side of the room. I looked up, “same again please.” I nodded then rolled my eyes as I turned toward the kitchen making sure they didn’t see. I found Michael balancing trays on his head, I grabbed one causing him to drop them all and cry out. I’d disappeared again laughing to myself before I got a chance to see his reaction.

I was just leaving the kitchen as someone walked straight into me and all the drinks went up in the air and landed the wrong way around, on me. It was only when I heard the smashing I realised there was now glass everywhere and I was covered in orange juice. I looked up to see which fool hadn’t been watching where they were going, it was the one that didn’t know how to buy clothes that fit him properly. He just sort of stood there looking with wide eyes at the mess.

“Shit, I’m sorry!” He finally said still glaring.

“It’s fine, it happens a lot, don’t worry about it.” He finally moved and started to pick up the broken glass. “Really, it’s fine.” I repeated taking the glass off him and putting it on the try before retreating to the kitchen. I put the try down and noticed red over my hands, great just what I needed, a glass cut.

“Whoa girl, what happened out there?!” Michael ran over with a first aid kit while I ran my hand under a cold tap trying to get rid of the blood/orange mixture that covered it.

“The one that was ‘checking me out’ ran into me. Look, I’ll sort this out, you just try and do something about the mess out front. I think I might have a change of clothes in the back.” He looked at me before I practically pushed him out of the door. I heard what I thought were a lot of apologies being thrown through the door. I’d be more than happy if, when they walked out of the door this time, I didn’t have to see this people again.