Sequel: Hurricanes

Thunderstorms

Two.

Grace had always hated the rain, I discovered that when we first met. What was thought to be a clear night sky ended up becoming a rainstorm to counteract the draining heat of the day. I remember how she scowled as she stood on the porch smoking a joint. She always did things like that alone. At the time I had been warned off by friends, they told me she was crazy and was oblivious of anything outside of her own little world. I'd listened to them at first but when I left the party for some fresh air she was just standing there, I couldn't help myself. I spoke to her first and she didn't acknowledge me for a little while but I persisted. I don't even know why I bothered, she just seemed to draw me in.

When she finally spoke to me it was as if she'd crashed down to earth like an atom bomb, she was just so different. Her views on life shocked me and yet they seemed so natural to her. She's said that the world was bringing her down and that she felt like an animal amongst people. Bringing her cigarette to her lips loosely she smiled and told me that I didn't have to worry because she was going to make me proud. I didn't really understand anything she'd said to me so I just assumed it was the pot talking. But now I feel like I understand her, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew she was right. She then went on to tell me how she hated the rain, yet there it came, again and again bringing her back down to reality. I guess that's why she smoked pot so much at parties, to escape reality. She interested me and I didn't even know what her family life was like, let alone anything else about her.

When we grew closer she asked me to stay by her side, she said she needed me there when she would leave it all behind. The rain was pouring as she said that. I accepted her terms quickly because she made me feel so alive. I was more happy than I had ever been when she told me about her dreams, she had never told anyone else before. However her dreams were not what I expected, she wanted to disappear and she told me that she needed to do it so that no one could touch her any more. I never really understood what she meant by that but I tried to accept it. She needed to be sure that people wouldn't harm her because she always felt the difference between her world and theirs and I couldn't change that feeling. There was one thing I noticed from the day she left, since she'd been gone it was raining all the time. I just hoped that wherever she was she had shelter.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe.