Paranormal Trip

Chapter 10

I went up to the pentagram with a mission to see what it was that the spirit in my dream had been trying to tell me. The word star seemed to be the key word and yet I didn’t know why. I hadn’t expected to run into Ryan, and had planned to stay away but the man’s story had me slightly intrigued and the pentagram seemed to be pulling me towards it, almost daring me to solve it’s mystery. I put my hand on the area below it, feeling the same spark as before. The cold feeling followed and then a warm feeling and a burning feeling that had me checking my hand as I tuned out the warden. Peter was warning me to be careful as I put my hand on it again, this time feeling a shock before I was rudely yanked backwards by Ryan. It always annoyed me when he did that and I wanted to point out that my hood was not there for yanking but the warden speaking had silenced me since I had been raised with some manners.
As the man talked about the families I was tempted to ask how no one could notice a pentagram on the wall. The thing looked kind of large and obvious to me, making me wonder if they had been telling the truth, but at the same time, it seemed that this place was run more on lies then truth.
I remained in the Warden’s tower with Ryan as he called the rest of the crew up. Neither of us said anything, me to busy staring at the pentagram and Ryan likely too busy preparing what he was going to say to ask me what I was feeling. I smiled when I saw Katrina come in followed by everyone else and moved to stand beside her as Ryan cleared his throat.
“For tonight’s dead time, this is where I’m going to be,” I felt my heart stop at his words and wondered if this was how he felt every time I offered to go head to head with a demon. Like your world might fly away without you on it. “I’m going to be here by myself, because last time I was unable stay here the entire duration. What you guys all went through, being alone and isolated for an hour is what I was supposed to do. But the activity was so intense and insane that I had to leave.” I felt my stomach drop and turned my head to see Taylor giving me a reassuring look, one to tell me that it would be okay. Peter’s look didn’t tell the same story, his look told me that there was something more they couldn’t tell me, or wouldn’t tell me.

As we headed down the tower I cornered Ryan, something he seemed to know I was planning to do as he led me to an area that seemed well lit and good for talking.
“You, I can’t, why?” I said unable to form a complete sentence. Ryan just sighed.
“I need to finish this Claire,” Ryan said as I started to pace.
“Well I still need to finish Gone with the Wind, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to risk my life to do it.” Ryan made a face but didn’t say anything. “Ryan, what happened up there?” I asked watching as Ryan shifted uncomfortably.
“I don’t want to get into it anymore Claire, I don’t want to think about it or relive it. I just need to go up there and finish this.” Ryan said making me stop in my tracks.
“Finish what Ryan?” I asked wondering what he had to finish that was so great he’d put himself in danger.
“I need to go and do and say a few things. It’s important to me.” Ryan said making me stop and just let out a sigh of my own.
“Fine,” I said knowing that nothing I said would stop him. “Just promise me that you’ll be careful and that if anything goes wrong you’ll get out of there.” I said as Ryan stepped towards me.
“Why do I feel like I’ve said those words before?” He asked making me laugh slightly.
“Because you have, but situations reversed now. Though you should know that just because I know how you feel now every time I battle a demon does not mean I’m not going to keep doing it, because I am.” I said as Ryan got closer. “I’ll just at least know how you feel now,” I looked up as Ryan stood a few inches from me.
“Good,” He said leaning down to kiss me. He pulled back and just put his hands on either side of my face. “I’m going to be okay alright?” I only nodded, he would be okay, because if he wasn’t then I was going to go in after him.
I watched as Sergey put the vest onto Ryan, wondering if there was anyway I could sneak up the stairs a bit away just to keep an eye on him. Based on Peter’s face the answer was no, that there was no way I was going up there, at least not without an army behind me. I watched from a distance as Ryan was anointed and gave him a final hug before he went up, praying the whole time that he would come back down.

I sat in attention as the cameras started with Ryan. As he asked about laughter I buried my head in my hands. “No, but Claire is freaking out.” Sergey said making Ryan laugh slightly.
“I’m fine Claire,” Ryan said continuing on. I watched the monitors, wishing I could be there myself to see something. As he reached the pentagram my heart sped up, and started pacing.
“Claire, will you stop?” Josh asked as Ryan came over the radio mentioning humming. I only started pacing faster as Josh turned back to the camera. I heard Ryan yelling and looked up at the ceiling hearing footsteps. No one else seemed to hear them though, at least not that they would say. Instead they focused on the cameras as Ryan made his speech. I made sure that the crew was distracted before dodging out of the room for the showdown I knew needed to occur.