Paranormal Trip

Chapter 12

The pentagram had me thinking about the words the woman had said, star. Staring outside the building earlier that day, I had remembered where I had seen an actual star, on the front of the building. That thinking had led me to where the star essentially was in the building, near the front in a cell.
“I thought I told you to leave,” the gruff voice said causing me to turn in the cell, Peter and Taylor forming a shield in front of me.
“And I thought I told you no,” I said noticing the spirits start to collect behind him. “No, if you want me to leave then we do this one on one.” I said causing Peter to look at me and the man to narrow his eyes.
“One on one?” He said as I stepped forward.
“Yes, one of my angels against you.” I said confidently. “You can choose the angel. But if they win, you have to release the spirits. If they lose then we leave and never come back.” I said knowing I could do that if my angel lost. The ghost seemed to think about it, his dark eyes finally settling on Taylor.
“Fine, we can do that. But I want the red head.” The man said motioning to Taylor. I looked to Taylor and she smiled as she pulled her sword and the others formed a circle around me. The spirits backed away as the gruff voiced man stepped forward to face Taylor.
“Claire!” I heard, a mere echo that bounced in the halls. But I knew Katrina’s voice when I heard it. I didn’t respond as Taylor and the ghost circled on another, the man pulling a sword that looked very much like the one I had seen with the demons. The pentagram suddenly made sense to me, it all did. The spirit had died long before the pentagram came and when it did, the demon had possessed him, figuring him to be the most dangerous spirit. With a spirit’s body the demon had ruled the other spirits, scaring those away who dared challenge the power he held. He’d even tried to scare me off, at least until I refused to scare, and I wondered why it had taken me so long to discover all this.
“Claire!” I heard yelled again, this time closer, but it was muffled as the swords suddenly clashed and kept clashing. I could see that the gruff man had an advantage over Taylor in his size, but she was fast and she had faster moves.
“Claire!” A male voice that sounded like Sergey’s yelled as the battle continued, the spirits cheering for the half demon while she silently prayed for Taylor. With every word of her prayer she could see Taylor growing a bit stronger. With a final clank I saw Taylor’s sword turn and suddenly the demon’s body was cut in half. The demon gave a scream that had me covering my ears, and the footsteps that were down the hall pounding in a run towards where I was. I closed my eyes to shield my eyes from the sight and when I opened them again the cell was silent and the spirits had disappeared.
“I found her!” Sergey yelled back to someone as he came towards me, Katrina following soon after.
“We’ve got her,” Katrina radioed and I heard a question of where. “Red’s cell.” Katrina said as Sergey put a hand on my shoulder forcing me to look at him.
“You okay?” Sergey asked as I looked around.
“Yeah, the spirits are free.” I said as Sergey looked at Katrina who only gave him a look to suggest she had no idea what I was talking about. “The man, he was half spirit half demon, caused by the opening of the portal. He was keeping them here.” I said quickly knowing I had to get it all out. “I released them, Taylor defeated him. They’re free now.” I said as more pounding outside the cell suggested someone else was coming. I looked towards the doorway to see Ryan with a relieved look on his face.
“God, Claire don’t do that to me.” Ryan said coming in and checking me over for injuries. I waved off his concern, glad to see that he was okay. “Why would you run off on your own?” Ryan asked as I just sighed.
“I had to,” I said giving Ryan a smirk. “I had something I had to finish.” Ryan looked lost for words, and he also didn’t look all that pleased that I had just used his words against him. But he let it go as he pulled me towards him in a hug. I patted his back, trying to reassure him that I was alive. I wasn’t going anywhere, and I knew that it was all over, that the spirits were free, and that made everything okay to me.