Paranormal Trip

Chapter 7

The next morning Ryan was up early. He had plans to meet with a man about the Indian burial grounds on the property, but hadn’t told any of the team that, rather he was just going to wake one of them up. He stepped out of his hotel room, bag in hand and headed down the hall, pausing at Claire’s door. Part of him wanted to bring her with, tell her about the burial ground. But another part of him was still angry at her for the night before, for her yelling at him about how he was going about the investigation. It was this anger that had him going past her door for Eilfie’s, someone he was sure would be better suited.
“Eilf,” Ryan said knocking on the door. He heard some shuffling before the door was thrown open revealing Eilfie fully dressed and ready to go.
“I had a feeling you were going out early.” Eilfie said, in fact she had seen it in the cards and had been prepared for him. She had her things packed but a look behind him had her a bit confused. “Where’s Claire?” Eilfie asked looking for Ryan’s usual companion. It was always nice to have Claire around, her access to the spirit world giving great insight into what they would face. But she was nowhere to be seen.
“Probably sleeping, I figured just us would go right now and the rest of the team would catch up later.” Ryan said as Eilfie shouldered her bag and put her hat onto her head.
“Okay, your call.”

When the pair arrived they were greeted by the expert on the on the burial ground who told them about the people and what they suffered. Eilfie remained quiet beside him as Ryan asked questions about the burial ground and how it had been torn up by settlers. It sounded rather unfair to them, bothering bodies for gold that could easily be found elsewhere.
“Let me ask you a question,” Ryan began crossing his arms, “spiritually speaking, is there some sort of like vengeance attached with that like a stigma of vengeance to those that hang around?” Ryan asked the guide not noticing the car approaching the property. The man began speaking about the consequences as the car door shut and Claire appeared out of the car with Sergey. She held her tongue as the rest of the crew arrived and Ryan turned to view them all.
“Do interviews with the grounds crew and some of the former officers. Claire, walk with me.” Ryan said as the rest of the team went to do their jobs. Both knew who they needed to interview, and about what.
“Do you sense spirits in the hill?” Ryan asked looking at Claire. Her eyes seemed unfocused, constantly drifting back and forth as though she was looking for something.
“Not really,” Claire said finally. “I mean, I sense that there were spirits there but most have passed on.” Claire said running her fingers along the fence that led to the hill. “You can’t hold onto anger forever and those that angered them, they are long gone.” Claire said leaning against the fence. Ryan couldn’t help but wonder what she was sensing as he leaned against the fence about a foot away from her.
“Since you talk about being more open,” Ryan began causing Claire to turn and look at him. “What do you sense right now?” He asked watching the contemplative look on Claire’s face. Her brown eyes seemed to be searching for the right words.
“I sense a lot of regret here, a lot of pain.” Claire said turning to look at the hill. “The spirits feel like they were once trapped but they aren’t any more, and there are a few spirits who remain who are telling me how they feel.” Claire said a small smile coming to her features. “I’m not a psychic Ryan, I don’t feel emotions just see people. There’s a spirit of a guy beyond that tree who’s talking to me. He’s mostly here to watch over the lands, not bother anyone. He says the spirits in that place are the ones bothering everyone, he’s just a protector.” Claire said leaning off the fence. “And while we’re on the subject of openness.” Claire said turning to face him. “Anything you want to tell me?” Ryan looked at the hills a moment longer.
“Not right now, but eventually yes.” From the corner of his eye he saw the way his girlfriend’s face quickly blanked over, like she was trying to hide how she was feeling. He knew it killed her not to know what he was thinking, hell it hurt not to tell her sometimes. But at the same time, he knew that what he was hiding was something he had to face first before he could tell her anything.