Through Reza's Eyes

Tehran, 1850

Tehran, 1850

Father has just explained to me the reasons for his sudden departure to Russia. Though I cannot understand them all, I am excited to see this mysterious traveler whom the servants call “Erik.” It is said he is a magician, healer, and musician – though there might be more to him than meets the eye. He also wears a mask, but I cannot imagine the reasons.

Father will be gone for a month, leaving me in the care of the servants. Moreover, I am to be on my best behavior when he returns and not cause problems for the servants while he is gone.

* * *

Tehran, 1850 (a month later)

Father has returned at last and brought the mysterious traveler with him. At last I will get to see this “Erik” with my own eyes!

Erik is standing before me, and Father is looking at me expectantly. I take a deep, calming breath and say, “May your heart never grow narrow, sir.”

Erik looks at me. “I shall try not to let it.”

Before I can stop, I burst out with, “Are you really the greatest magician in the world?”

Father looks at me disapprovingly. “Reza, you forget your manners.”

“Your father is quite right, Reza,” Erik said. “However, if you can wait until tomorrow, I will surely show you something then.”

I started to protest, but the death glares I received from both my father and Erik silenced me.

Then Erik said, “You have disrespected your father. You will go to him and ask his forgiveness.”

Silently, I walked to where my father stood and asked his forgiveness for what I had done. Father forgave me and sent me off with one of the servants.
♠ ♠ ♠
Through Reza’s Eyes
A retelling of Erik’s time in Persia as told by Reza Khan
Written by KnowYourEnemy05