Cold As My Heart

Phantom

“There’s nothing to do B! I swear I can’t stand just hanging in this hotel.” I sighed and tried to ignore Jekka as best I could. Greem was out to get some food and I was watching Jekka and it wasn’t much fun.

“There’s nothing I can do about that Jekka, Artemis said to stay in Rome and to lay low until we get more people here and to gather Intel. Since the catastrophe the night we first got here we have to really lie low. Just watch TV. or something.”

“I hate Italian TV! I like Russian, Italian is so hard to follow!”

“Well for your information you grew up with Italian, for sixteen years! So quit your whining and leave me in peace!” I got up and went to lie on the bed. There was two beds in the tiny room, and Jekka had been lounging on the other bed watching TV, complaining about plots for different programs, and annoying the hell outta me. I should be glad to see her again but she was drawing my last string.

“I like you tattoo’s.” I jumped as she came around behind me and sat right by me. I had interesting tattoo’s for sure. They went from my elbow to my wrist on both my arms, they were black and was just some lines and shapes, but I loved them.

I began to feel just a little bit uncomfortable as Jekka ran her hands down my tattoos and I shifted away from her. I turned around and saw a puzzled look on her face and then it cleared away.

“What am I thinking! It’s been nine years! It’s different.” Jekka got up fast and slammed the bathroom door, locking it. I sighed again and shook off the feeling of want. It had been so long since I had touched Jekka, felt her smooth arms around me, her soft lips.

I shook myself and laughed out loud. I really didn’t feel anything for Jekka anymore, she was engaged and I had moved on, but sometimes I would catch myself looking at her and I really think I should find someone else before she drives me insane, again.

“I found something besides Italian, does Tai food sound good?” I turned to Greem’s voice and I nodded, not really caring what went into my body. I heard the sounds of a shower running and I tried to shake the image of Jekka in it.

“So find anything interesting Greem?” I asked and he just shrugged.

“Not really, I didn’t see anyone suspicious.” Just then Jekka came out with nothing but a towel wrapped around her and I got a squeeze in my gut and I turned around as I heard praise come out of Greem’s mouth.

“I think I’ll go out and do some reconnaissance before I hit the hay. I’ll be back late so get some sleep you two.” I left the room, grabbing nothing but a jacket. I didn’t want to be around when I could sense the atmosphere in that room. I was generally happy for Jekka, but I wasn’t going to be around when she was hooking up with someone besides me.

I wandered aimlessly around the streets, the sun just beginning to set. It was my favorite time of day, cool without the bright light of the sun to ruin the mood of ambiance. I really don’t know what drove me to a random park in the middle of Rome. It was nice to sit in a park when there wasn’t annoying kids running around, yelling.

People walked down the streets, hurrying to get home and avoid the biting cold that permeated the night. I people watched for awhile, I had my hood up and I guess I looked a little ominous but I enjoyed the cold.

Then in the cool dusk I saw a woman on the other side of the park. She looked at me with a piercing look in her eyes and I caught my breath. She was single handedly the most beautiful woman I have seen in my life. She had long, dark red hair that swirled around her sturdy frame. She had nothing on but a black trench coat, she was barefooted. She shivered once and turned to leave.

I jumped up immediately and chased after her. She seemed to vanish into the coming night and I reached out for her. Then she was gone. I whiled around and my eyes roamed the entire park but she was gone.

“Why are you following me?” I heard her voice and I turned around in a flurry. Her voice was unexpected, it held a tenor chord to it that didn’t match her light face. But something about it matched perfectly with her piercing, terrifying eyes.

“You seemed cold.” I said with a smile. She half smiled at me and backed up a step.

“If only you knew how true you really were.” With that she started running and she didn’t stop and I didn’t follow her. She enchanted me but I knew something was off about her. She was like me