Status: Completed

Caught Up in the Moment

One

It was the last day of the Bamboozle tour tomorrow. We were in Boston, and everyone was excited about the show the next day.

All the bands were hanging around outside their buses in the parking lot of the Comcast Center, laughing, playing music, and having a genuine good time.

I, on the other hand, could barely even hear Alex singing Bonfire by Third Eye Blind next to me.

This tour, I wanted something big to happen. I left the house months ago with the anticipation that I'd have this huge experience on Bamboozle, and it hasn't happened yet.

Don't get me wrong, the tours been great so far, and every band I've had the pleasure of bonding with has been great, but somethings been missing this whole time.

Zack must have noticed the look of longing on my face, because the next thing I new, he was throwing his shoe at me.

"Ouch! What the fuck was that for man?" I asked, glaring at him and rubbing my cheek, where I'm sure a bruise was forming already.

"Wake-up dude." Zack never talked much. He needs to get laid.

Sighing, I got out of my worn out beach chair and walked back to the bus for a nap.
It was 10 at night, the day before our last Bamboozle show, and I'm sure any normal person would be drinking beer and having sex on a night like this.
Normally, I would have been dancing around to no music and making sexual noises with Alex all night, but I just couldn't think straight right now.

Climbing on to the bus, I shut the door behind me before shutting off the light above the sink and climbing into my bunk.
Before I knew it, I was asleep.

-----------

"Dude, Jack-Off wake up." Rolling over, I squinted at the figure above me. It was Benji Madden from Good Charlotte.

"Uhm, what are you doing?" I rubbed my eyes, swinging my legs over my bunk and standing up, realizing I was still in yesterdays attire.

"Waking you up. Your band sent me in here to get you. It's 10 am dude."

"It's Sunday?"

"No shit Sherlock, join us outside why don't you?"

I followed Benji outside where Rian and Alex were waiting with Steve from Third Eye Blind, talking about monkeys or some shit.

"Nice of you to join us Jack." Steve said with a smile.
I smirked back at him. Forget my attempt to be nice today.

"We were, uh. Just headed into the venue to look around. Wanna join us Jacky?" I could never just say no to Alex, he was my best friend. If I ever even tried to spell the word no, he'd pout at me till I gave in.

I smiled at him, "Sure Lex. Where's Zack?"

Rian sighed before stuffing his hands in his pockets and leading us to the back entrance to the venue. "Either working out or eating ketchup."

Zack loved ketchup, almost as much as he loved having rock hard abs.

As we were walking toward the venue, I felt Alex brush his shoulder against mine. Looking over at him, I shoved my hands in my pockets and saw him smile.

"What happened to you last night dude? You were so out of it."

"I was really tired I guess." I shrugged, looking ahead of me again.

"Okay..." He skipped ahead of me, leaving me to walk alone.

----------

It was currently 3 pm and we still had 2 hours before Forever the Sickest Kids started the show off at the big stage.

Alex and I decided to stay inside with the other bands as opposed to going out with Rian to walk around, in fear that we'd get jumped by fans.

But today was different. I felt like I had a reason to go out there.

It was a hot sunny day, so wearing a hat and long sleeves was out of the question, so instead I slid on a baseball cap and sunglasses, in hopes that I'd disguise myself.

Walking out the back entrance of the venue I was hit with a wave of heat. I decided on going to the merch tent. Everyone would be watching the other bands by now anyways, and I could bother Vinny while he's working.

Showing the security my pass, they let me slip though a small wooden door that led to the pavement next to the stage. Conveniently, All Time Low's merch tent was set up right in front, and I slipped right in next to Vinny without being noticed by anyone.

There were very few fans outside here. A few were laying on blankets in the shade, and others were soaking up some sun and listening to the distant music of Drive A, who were currently playing on the stage in the woods.

"Hey Jack! What's goin on man?" Vinny got out of the chair he was currently sitting in to give me a fist pump and talk to a customer that just walked up to the table.

As I sat in the chair, I looked around me. Poor Vinny was stuck out here all day under a tent while the rest of us were goofing off inside.

I thought he had it bad, until I saw her, standing a few feet away from the table where Vinny stood.

She was short, couldn't have been taller then 5'5, with wavy brown hair that stopped by her shoulders. Her eyes were small and brown, but darker. Like chocolate. Her blonde friend said something to her, making her laugh. Her smile was big, showing all her teeth, lighting her face up.

She was beautiful.

"Jack? Dude, hand me a poster please?" I tore my eyes away from her face to obey Vinny's request and handed him a poster that he handed to a little girl who thanked him and ran off to her mother.

The girl stepped up next with her blonde friend, playing with a 50 dollar bill in her hands. I watched as her eyes scanned the board behind me, her eyes landing on mine for a mere 2 seconds before pointing to a shirt and whispering to her friend.

"I have a small, no medium." Vinny told her, walking to the brown box to his right and throwing her a gray t-shirt with the "Dear Marie, Count Me In" lyrics.

She handed him her money before walking away with her friend.

"Uh, Vin? I'm gonna go find the guys." He waved at me was I walked back through the wooden door, showing security my pass before running as fast as my legs could carry me into the lounge everyone was sitting in.

"Jack," Alex asked as he saw me running passed him, "where you goin' dude? We were about to head to the caters tent to get somethin' to eat."

I looked at Alex, a smile on my face.
"Well you know how when we left in May, I was saying how I wanted some really epic shit to go down this tour? And the other night I was all pissy and shit because nothing severely epic has happened?"

He raised an eyebrow at me, his lips in a flat line.
"Uhm, yeaaah? Why?"

"I think I found her." I turned to walk away again as he grabbed my wrist and turned me around.

"What do you mean her? I thought it was an 'it'?"

"Well I mean, I did too. But I was hanging out with Vinny at merch and this girl was standing there, and she was just, wow. I have to go find her."

"We play at 10!" He called after me as I jogged out of the lounge and to the stage.

I jumped off the stage and good the flight of stairs all the way up to the pavement. I turned to my left, running past all the people that were walking around the venue.

I spotted Rian not to far away, buying a beer from one of the vendors by the small stage.

"Hey dude," I said, panting and patting his shoulder, making him jump and turn around.

"Heey man what're you doin?"

"Looking for a girl."

He took a sip of his beer, letting his eyes scan the grounds.
"Well that really narrows it down. I'm gonna go find Zack, I'll see ya later."

I walked away from Rian, going down the stairs that led into the shady, tree filled woods. Great Big Planes was playing as I walked through the woods and closer to the stage.
My feet brought me towards the side where the bands would ready themselves and meet fans.

I spotted the girls blonde friend talking with two other girls.

Then I spotted her. Her hair was in a loose ponytail now, slinging over her left shoulder. Her neck was being hit by the sun, the brown tank-top that was on her body hugging her curves just right.

Her friend turned around as the other two girls walked away, waving at them before scanning the crowd.

She spotted me then, looking closer in confusion. It took her a few seconds for her eyes to widen in realization before turning to my mystery girl.

Shit.

"It is not. You told Kayla and Emily yourself that the other girl said Jack and Alex were hiding because they didn't wanna be raped or whatever."

"Kaytlin I swear on Zack's life that Jack fucking Barakat is standing over there. And he was staring AT YOU."

So her name's Kaytlin? That's a pretty name.

I took a step forward, closer to the girls.

"Oh hey look! We should get his autograph!" Her friend took her arm, Kaytlin following behind her quickly toward the side of the stage.

I watched as Kaytlin and her friend waited their turn to take a picture with Great Big Planes. The smile on Kaytlins face when it was there turn was one I couldn't possibly forget about.

I watched her as she turned to him to say thank you, and as they walked my way her friend stopped in front of me.

"Jack Barakat?" she whispered, as she knew that I didn't want to be recognized.
I sighed. Maybe this was my only chance to talk to Kaytlin.

"Yeah, that's me."

She smiled. "I'd ask for a picture and what not, but I don't want you to be mauled."

I smiled back at her, appreciating her respect.

"Come with me then," I turned to Kaytlin, "you too."

Kaytlin smiled at her friend, then at me before saying "I'd be glad too."

----------

"JACK!" As soon I stepped into the dressing room, Alex attacked me in a hug. "Who're you're lovely friends?"

I looked behind me at the girls who were just standing there, playing with their hands nervously. Kaytlin's friend was looking at Alex, a blush brightening up her pale face.
She stepped forward, offering Alex her hand.

"Amy, and this is Kaytlin." Alex took her hand and kissed the back of it, her blush growing a deeper red.

"It's nice to meet the both of you. Are you hangin' out with us today?"

Amy let go of Alex's hand and turned to me, holding her hands behind her back.

"Yeah I guess, I mean. If they're okay with that?" I stated, looked between the two girls, who looked at each other and nodded.

"Of course we are." Kaytlin said with a smile.

---------

I was currently sitting on the bus, next to Kaytlin, who was laughing at the ridiculous things Alex was saying.

It was 4 o'clock, and we had to be at the venue by 5.

Amy had gone somewhere with Zack 30 minutes ago, and I really didn't need to know the details.

I turned to look at Kaytlin, who was already looking at me, and I think she even made me blush.

"Hello." I said with a smirk, moving sideways so I could get a better look at her face.

"Hi there." She was beginning to get flirty with me; Not that I had a problem with that.

"So, Kaytlin. Uhm, why'd you come to Bamboozle?"

She looked at me funny before turning her body around to the side to face me better.

"Well, Amy asked me to go with her. And after we went over all the bands that were gonna be here, we agreed that we liked them all. And especially since you guys are her favorite, she just HAD to go. And I gave you a listen, and I'll admit you guys are really good. And what makes it even better is that it's my first concert."

"Really? Like, ever? Not just a concert like this?"

"Not just one like this. Ever. In my life." She put her elbow on the back of the couch and rested her head on it, her knee settling into the cushions.

"How old are you?" I felt nervous asking that question; She looked a lot younger then she probably was.

"18, you?"

I let out a breath I didn't realize I had been holding in.

"22"

"Ah, fully legal. Must be nice."

I smiled at her sense of humor.

"Oh it is. You should try it some time."

"I'll give it a go when I can. I still got 4 years."

"Well when you get there, you should call me. We can make it a party."

I decided that maybe flirting with her wasn't such a bad idea. What could it hurt?

"That sounds like a fine idea Mr. Barakat."

She smiled at me, letting her fingers run aimlessly through her brown hair.

"Heeey dude." Zack walked into the bus then, his hand clutching Amy's. He plopped himself next to me, Amy settling herself beside Kaytlin, a smile evident on both of their faces.

"I don't wanna know, so I'm not gonna ask." I told him, raising my hands above my head.

"Good, because I probably wasn't going to tell you." He got up then, walking to the bunks, winking at Amy on the way by.

"LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO." Alex ran from the back of the bus a few minutes later, screaming and running out the door. Checking the LED clock on the microwave, I noticed it was 5:05, and we should have headed to the stage 5 whole minutes ago.

I got up off the couch and offered my hand to Kaytlin, who to my surprise, smiled and took it.

---------

Amy and Kaytlin were sitting backstage as we get ready for our set. We had introduced them to the other bands, and Caleb Turman from Forever the Sickest Kids was doing a good job at keeping them entertained.

"Alright guys. Let's rock this bitch." Rian began his trek to his drum set, and one at a time we each walked out on stage. I turned to see Kaytlin smiling at me from a far.

"Break a leg Barakat." she said with a smirk.

"Well, I would. But I kinda need something first."

She smirked and took a few steps forward before she was right in front of me.

"What's that?" she asked, taking the hand that wasn't holding my guitar in hers.

I leaned down and gave her a short kiss on the lips, leaning my forehead on hers.

"That."

----------

After the show, we headed back towards the buses. Kaytin and Amy were already there, talking to the security.

"Miss I'm sorry but I don't believe you. I don't care if you know him personally, you don't get over there without proof."

She turned around, about to walk in the direction of the parking lot when she spotted me and ran over, Amy hot on her tail.

"Jacky!" she yelled, "Tell him I know you and that I'm not a lying fan girl?"

I smiled at her, nodding my head and led her back towards security.

"The ladies are with us." I flashed him my pass and squeezed Kaytlin's hand in my own.

Once on the bus, I found that Alex was way ahead of me on the Alcohol Consumption Meter and Amy sat with, Zack who were already beginning to be mushy on the couch.

I took Kaytlin back outside the bus and led her to the back, where hopefully no one would see us.

"May I ask what you plan on doing over here Jacko?"

"Nothing. I wanted to talk to you, is that such a crime?"

She leaned against the back of the bus and slid down onto the ground, crossing her legs under her and patting the spot to her left.

Smiling down at her, I sat next to her on the ground and was about to speak before Rian ran around the corner.

"There you two are! Are we gonna party with everyone else for one last time, or are you too busy making babies?"

Kaytlins face turned three different shades of red before settling on the darkest shade, which was light in comparison to her naturally dark skin.

"We were just talking Ri...No baby making yet."

I smirked at my remark before looking at Kaytlin again to notice that her face was an even darker shade of red as she played with the lace of her shoe.

Rian walked away, his foot steps getting quieter and quieter with each passing second.

"So I know this might sound weird, and I met you just today and all, but-" Kaytlin cut me off before I could finish.

"You're a sweet guy Jack, but after all this I'm going back home, and you're going on to do whatever. I bet you'll find another girl on one of your other adventures and you'll forget all about me." She was holding on to my hand then; mine in between both of hers.

"Look Kayt, you don't get it. My heart stopped the moment I saw you, and that was this morning when you bought that t-shirt. I don't know, you're a fun girl, I can't forget you. And I won't. Even if you walk away from me right now."

She looked at our hands, clasped together in her lap.

Sighing, she looked at me again.

"Well, if you're so determined..."

I kissed her cheek, stroking the spot with the knuckle of my pointer finger.

"I am determined. I'll call, e-mail, text, and visit whenever I can."

"I haven't known you very long Jack Barakat, but I believe you."

And as she leaned up to kiss me, I knew that this was the start of something that would last a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
For my friend Kaytlin, whom I love dearly :)

She loved Jack since the Bamboozle Roadshow back in June.
I hope you liked, comments would be appreciated :)