I'm Not Gay

Chapter Four- Dance, Dance

Things started changing between Matt and C.J. No one knew the strange, confusing thoughts warring through Matt's mind. No one knew that C.J. chose a new target for his sarcastic comments; the target being none other than Larry Fareson. The following weeks, students found themselves on the verge of hysterics as Larry ended up in numerous embarrassing situations.

It was nearing the end of September and with it came Homecoming. Matt and the guys watched as giggling girls went out of their way to get attention, hoping to snag a date for the dance. Matt went through a list of decent girls, wondering who he should ask. As his thoughts trailed, his gaze landed on a lone figure making his way through the school halls, completely oblivious to the hopeful gazes.

"Hey, Livingston!" The walking boy paused mid-step, blank green eyes turning to the sound, only to glare at the tall athletic blond, "Still lacking a date for the dance?"

"Yes," C.J. replied calmly.

Matt quirked an eyebrow. It wasn't like the boy couldn't snag a date. Hell, he could probably go with more than one girl at the same time and none of them would care. It seemed like C.J. just wasn't interested. Matt remembered watching the boy from afar, watching as the boy declined every invite with a sense of calm and sincerity.

"Can't blame anyone, though. Who would go with a freak like you?" Larry snarled, his friends chuckling.

C.J. smirked, looking at the leggy raven-haired girl beside Larry. A warm blush formed on the girl's cheeks as C.J. carefully took her hand, kissing the back of her knuckles softly.

"As lovely as it would be to have you as my date, I'm afraid I must decline. Maybe next time, when you gain a better taste in those who surround you, I may consider joining you," the lithe-formed boy commented.

The giggle from the girl caused Larry to flush red, but C.J. had already pulled to his full height, looking up at Larry, "See, Fareson, I have no problem getting a date. I'm just not interested."

C.J. walked away from them, leaving behind a fuming Larry and a blushing girl. Matt chuckled at the boy's guts. He sure had a lot of them. He seemed to have no sense of care when it came to offending people. The boy disappeared through the people and Matt once again sighed, trying to brush his thoughts of the boy away from his mind.

By the time Lunch came around, Matt entered the cafeteria only to see Jimmy's tall form standing over C.J.'s table. Quirking an eyebrow, Matt watched as Jimmy seemed to be talking about the boy needing a date.

"Look, all you have to do is ask one girl. Just go and have a good time. Larry expects you not to show up at all," Jimmy commented.

C.J. smirked, "I do enjoy pissing that kid off. Look, I'm just not good with these kind of things."

"Well, why not take someone you already know? I mean, Katie doesn't have a date yet," Jimmy suggested.

C.J.'s amused face fell, shock flickering through his green eyes for a moment, "What? Surely..." Jimmy shook his head causing C.J. to sigh, "Fucking idiot."

C.J. stood up from his seat and Matt watched as he approached the table Matt usually sat at with the guys. Katie and the rest of the guys sat at the table, obviously having a highly amused conversation. C.J. appeared at the table just as Matt and Jimmy did, the table falling silent at the unusual sight of C.J. being there.

"Hello, Kate," C.J. greeted softly, giving the girl a soft smile, "Do you mind if I take a seat? I'd like to talk to you about something." Katie ignored the glaring Zacky and nodded enthusiastically.

"What's up? Is something wrong with D.J.?" Katie asked, eyes growing concerned.

C.J. shook his head, smiling as if amused by her thoughtfulness, "No. D.J. is fine...well...giving his situation. No, I seem to be in a predicament and I heard you don't have a date for the dance yet."

Everyone except Jimmy tensed at the words, Katie's face gaining a soft blush, "W-what do you mean?"

"Well, see, you're...used to this kind of thing, so I need some advice. There's this girl I want to ask to the dance," Katie's eyes widened, "She's a pretty little thing. Beautiful brown hair. Probably the most gorgeous brown eyes I've ever seen, but...I don't know if I have a chance with her."

Katie giggled, "Charlie, the girl would have to be crazy not to accept going with you."

"You mean, she'd have to be crazy to accept going with me," C.J. returned the grin, "You're probably right about that, but what should I do?"

"Well, you're probably one of the most sought after kids in this school," C.J. rolled his eyes at her comment, "I'm serious. Just...ask her. You never know, she might say yes."

C.J. grinned widely, leaning forward to place a kiss on her cheek, "I have a perfect idea. Hey, you wouldn't mind meeting me after last period, would you?"

Matt watched Zacky's eyes widen at the words, hurt flickering through his eyes as Katie nodded, "Of course. I can't stay after long though. Mattie and the guys have practice."

C.J. stood up and left the cafeteria, Matt catching a strange glint in Jimmy's eyes, "Hey, everything alright, Rev?"

"I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but why does he always leave without eating?"

All eyes turned on Katie, her smile fading as sorrow filled her eyes, "Charlie's always been that way. Even before we became friends. I...I don't know why, but Charlie is unable to eat unless hungry and Charlie only gets hungry maybe...once a day."

Matt shook his head. This kid really didn't give a damn about himself. Something inside Matt's chest clenched at the thought. What made the boy not want to eat?

~~~~~~

"Katie! Wait!"

Katie glanced up as Zacky Baker made his way through the crowded halls. The release bell of their final class had rang and kids made their way out of the school building with enthusiastic speed. Katie couldn't help but grin widely as her gaze connected with the familiar green eyes.

"What's up Zacky? I have to get going to meet Charlie."

"No!" Zacky shouted, causing her to flinch slightly, "Um, sorry. I mean, don't. He only wants to ask you to the dance."

"Really?" Katie glanced over Zacky's face, "That's interesting."

"No. You can't go with him," Zacky sneered out the reference to the boy.

Katie quirked an eyebrow, "Are you trying to say I'm not good enough?"

"He's not good enough for you," Zacky shot back instantly, watching as a blush appeared on her cheeks as her gaze moved to the floor. "Look, I...I want you to be my date to the dance. I...I've been trying to ask, but you...you make me nervous."

Katie giggled slightly before leaning forward, kissing his cheek, "I'd love to go with you, Zacky."

Passing students gave them side glances as Zacky let out a cheer, hugging her close. Zacky pulled back, his lips parted as he sought a way to say something, his gaze falling deep with her light brown eyes.

"Oi, why don't you all put your eyes back in your head and mind your own business," a familiar voice commented, causing Zacky to take notice of the stares they were getting.

Katie whirled around to see her friend standing just a few feet away, a single black-tipped purple rose held delicately in his hands. Katie's eyes widened as fear of having to decline her friend's offer filled her heart with guilt. Oh no. What if Charlie was going to ask her?

"It's about time, Baker," Katie and Zacky both stood straighter at the words, "When Sullivan told me you didn't make move yet, I decided to see if that streak of jealousy you have would get you to do it." Katie ignored Zacky's shocked gaze as she launched herself at the boy, who caught her, mindful of the rose, "You deserve the best someone has to offer, Kate, and I don't think I've seen anyone fight so much for your attention than him."

Zacky felt his cheeks warm slightly at the words, but Katie only let out a giggle, kissing her friend's cheek, pulling back as a thought crossed her mind, "So you weren't going to ask me? Who is the flower for?"

C.J. flashed Katie a mysterious smirk before kissing her cheek, "Sorry, luv, but you'll find out soon enough. You go have fun at the band practice."

Zacky watched as C.J.'s form once again disappeared through the doors. Damn. That kid never stayed around long enough for a thank you of any kind, did he? Zacky let out a sigh, running his fingers through his hair before feeling Katie slip her hand in his, pulling him down the hall. A wide smile formed on Zacky's lips as he trailed behind Katie.

'I guess I owe Livingston after this.'

~~~~~

The week flew by, closely followed by the night of the Homecoming Dance. Matt had decided to take one of the girl's in his Creative Writing class. Matt's thoughts started to stray as his gaze followed the giggling Katie being twirled around the dance floor. Livingston had done what none of them could. Livingston got Zacky to finally gain the nerve to ask Katie out.

Matt shook his head when the doors opened to the gym and in walked a beautiful, leggy brunette. The curves of her body were wrapped in a deep, plum fabric, beautifully decorated gems sewn into the bodice of the dress. Her thick brown hair fell along her shoulders in thick, bouncy curls, make-up done tastefully. Something about her seemed familiar, but Matt couldn't figure out why.

The beautiful girl smiled warmly as she looked behind her and sure enough, a boy stepped up beside her. Dressed in a tailored, purple pin-striped black suit, the undershirt matching the girl's dress perfectly. A pin-striped fedora, matching his outfit completely, sat on top of the boy's head. It wasn't until Matt found himself staring into a pair of familiar green eyes, once again outlined with eyeliner, that Matt realized who the girl was.

She was the same girl from the party. Matt watched the couple as C.J. took her hand, his hesitation obvious, but that didn't hinder the girl from granting him a gentle smile. Something seemed off about this. Matt felt the temperature around his group falling and with a glance around, he found his gaze settling on Brian, his brown eyes glaring at the conversing pair.

'Jesus Christ, not this shit again.' Matt thought as C.J.'s name was called out by Katie, who waved the pair over.

C.J. seemed to ask the girl something, to which she nodded, and the two made their way over to the large round table. Before anything could be said, Jimmy pulled himself from the chair and clapped C.J. on the back, congratulating him on getting Zacky to ask Katie out. C.J.'s once calm gaze flickered to one of sharp pain before they grew to their usual black appearance.

"I appreciate the thanks, Sullivan, but I would appreciate it if you would refrain from hitting me," C.J. commented, pulling out the empty seat beside Katie, who sat perched in Zacky's lap, motioning for the brunette to take a seat.

"You're the girl from the party, right?" Johnny asked, a smirk appearing on C.J.'s lips as a soft blush formed on the girl's cheeks.

"Aye. My name's Lauren," she introduced herself calmly, brown eyes glancing at C.J. over her shoulder.

C.J. went around the table, introducing the guys and Katie while the guys took their turn introducing their dates. After a moment of chatter, the table fell silent as C.J. stood from his relatively newly acquired chair, and held out a hand to Lauren. Blushing, the brunette placed her hand in his before the boy pulled her to the dance floor. It was obvious Lauren wasn't much of a dancer, but C.J. took it in stride and began twirling, spinning and leading her in an over-exaggerated dance. The tension from the shy girl melted away as bright laughter left her lips, C.J.'s face forming a softened smile.

After a few dances, C.J. led Lauren back to the table and without looking to Zacky for permission, held his hand out to Katie. Matt quirked an eyebrow at the always present fingerless gloves, even at an event like this. Katie looked to Zacky, who seemed to be trying to find the words to say, when C.J. knelt down beside her chair.

"Come on, Kate. The next song is one you know. You know you want to," C.J. prodded until Katie sighed and stood from Zacky's lap.

Following C.J. to the dance floor, C.J. leaned in and whispered something to her that caused a wide grin to appear on her lips. Walking a few feet from her, C.J. motioned to the DJ, who switched the end of the hip-hop song to a slow, melodic beginning. Matt felt his jaw drop as Katie moved gracefully, her arms reaching above her head, her high-heeled feet swiping out behind her, her body twirling expertly before coming to a stop. C.J. seemed to glide up to her, placing a hand on her hand that rested on her right shoulder. Taking it gently, everyone watched as the usually clumsy girl spun gracefully in a twirl of red, her chest soon pressed against C.J.'s.

With a seductive air, the two moved as one, C.J. leading the petite girl in a rather impressive show of a Tango. C.J. twirled the girl under his arm before spinning her right into the opposite arm, her back arching as she was dipped into the crook of his arm. The plastic cup in Zacky's hand crackled under the pressure of his fist as he watched the boy's hand move up the middle of her body, through the valley of her breasts before the hand dove into her hair, pulling her upright. The moment Katie's chest met C.J.'s, the girl spun out of his grasp, looking away from him sadly, before being pulled back to him in a beautiful, graceful twirl. Both of them stared into each others eyes, a sense of longing between them. Dipping her head, she ducked underneath his extended arm, her chest pressed against his back, her hand pushing down on his shoulder, the boy's form sinking to his knees. Katie sashayed around him, her left leg extended as she leaned forward, her lips against his cheek and with a twirl, Katie left his side, his hand still extended in the air.

The song ended and everyone in the gymnasium was silence as Katie let out a giggle and tackled the boy as he stood to his full height. The sound of Katie's laughter broke the silence and an uproar of applause filled the gym. C.J. bowed gracefully before taking the blushing Katie's hand and after twirling her under his arm, he motioned toward her, to which she curtsied graciously before leading the boy back to their table.

"Where the hell did you learn to dance like that?" Brian asked, peering between the two.

"A few years ago, I met this slightly over-weight girl, with major issues with her self-esteem after she threw herself off of a pier," C.J. commented lightly, causing Katie to flush, his left cheek indenting with a dimple as he grinned at her, "I learned that she had many issues and I wanted her to feel better about herself. I wanted her to see the beautiful girl she really was, so I found out her name and signed us both up for a talent show. We practiced for...what two months."

Katie giggled at the looks, "I was so surprised when we won and I never felt so accomplished at the time. Charlie helped me constantly whenever I began doubting myself. I actually wouldn't be the 'me' I am now if it wasn't for Charlie."

Matt found himself amused as C.J. obviously looked a bit uncomfortable by the display of affection. C.J. shook his head and turned to his date, who smiled warmly at him. Offering to get drinks for everyone, C.J. stood up with the orders in his mind and walked off. The girls at the table chose that moment to hit the dance floor, all of them dateless for the song. As the guys began conversing about the band, Matt was surprised when Brian suddenly shot to his feet, eyes glaring in the girls' direction.

Larry Fareson gripped the upper arm of Lauren, her face scrunched up in obvious discomfort at whatever Larry was saying. Before Matt could say anything, Brian was moving toward them. Matt moved to follow, but felt a hand push him back to his seat, his gaze moving to look upon the stern jawline of C.J. Livingston. The boy placed the drinks on the table quickly, taking the serving tray with him as he followed Brian.

Brian and Larry were in a heated argument, neither one noticing the look of discomfort on Lauren's face changing to a look of pain as Larry's grip grew tighter with each shout of words. C.J. moved right past Brian, and whatever he did to Larry's hand caused the taller boy to yelp in pain, snatching his hand back from Lauren. Brian opened his mouth to say something but was greeted by Lauren's body being gently shoved into him, C.J.'s steel-green gaze never leaving Larry's.

Matt wasn't sure what was said, but Larry swung at the shorter boy, who ducked under the extended arm and twirling the tray between his hands and with a turn of his body, the serving tray connected with the back of his head. Larry fell forward, his knees hitting the floor, giving C.J. the time to toss the indented tray to the side. The shorter boy's fingers buried into the blond hair, his foot moving to shove Larry's stomach against the ground as his hand pulled the boy's head back. Cries of agony left Larry's lips until C.J. leaned over the boy's form, obviously whispering something in his ear before releasing his grip, Larry's forehead connecting to the gymnasium floor.

"Livingston!"

C.J.'s retreating form didn't even pause as he continued making his way to the table, "Yeah, yeah, detention Monday after school for flat out kicking his well-deserving ass."

C.J. gathered his jacket and his hat, setting it back on top of his head, before glancing at Lauren. Matt wondered what he was pausing for, but a small smile formed on C.J.'s lips.

"Hey, Haner," Brian glanced up, "Mind taking her home for me. I...I really should get out of here and clear my head, and I want to make sure she doesn't go home with some ass."

Brian, obviously realizing the underlying compliment, nodded as C.J. moved to brush Lauren's tear-stained cheek, pressing his lips against her forehead, "Take care of yourself, luv. I will see you Monday."

~~~~~~

C.J. Livingston smirked as he exited the detention room, remembering why he had been there in the first place. Something between him and everyone else in Kate's little circle of friends was changing, and he wasn't sure if it was a good idea. C.J.'s body tensed at the sudden sensation of eyes following him. Turning his gaze, he never saw the fist coming, the blow to his temple causing spots to appear before his vision.

Pushing past the dizzy feeling, C.J. felt his stomach hit the floor, a booted foot connecting with his exposed side. Retreating to the back of his mind, he barely heard sneers of vengeful anger and embarrassment. He barely reacted as more kicks were applied to his body.

It wasn't until the all-too-familiar sensation of leather leaving a stinging slap along the length of his back did C.J. let out a sharp yelp.

'Alright, what did that old bitch say? Something to block it out, right?'

C.J. felt his mind drift in empty thoughts, never once feeling the welts along his back. Never once did the words the boy was shouting register in C.J.'s mind. Never once did the glazed-over green eyes turn away from staring blankly at the bottom of the nearby lockers. C.J. vaguely wondered how the lockers were moving, and why the dimly lit halls seemed suddenly brighter. The boy barely registered the sudden flare of pain that sparked as his back was pressed against something, his arms bound behind him tightly.

The distant sound of footsteps fading away was the last thing C.J. remembered as he closed his eyes, his chin meeting his chest as he allowed everything to recede to where it once sat...deeply in the back of his mind.

'I knew it was a bad idea.'

~~~~~~

Matt laughed as he exited the locker rooms, him and a few friends outside of his usual group having just finished a game of basketball. Exiting the school building, Matt winced at the bright sunlight.

"What the fuck?!?"

Matt glanced over at his friend, who seemed suddenly sickened by something. Following his gaze, Matt's stomach churned at the sight of a beaten and seemingly unconscious C.J. Livingston tied to the flag pole by a single leather belt.

"Hey, guys, that was an awesome pr-"

Katie's voice dropped off and a choked sob left her lips, "Charlie!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to make a special shout out to my reviewer Tom-Tom...I'm glad you like the story...trust me, things can only get interesting from here on out.

As for my other readers, please leave a review.