Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Chapter One

Yet another tear fell from Adrienne’s check as she turned the page of her photo album. She sighed as she remembered the good days, when everything was all right, when everyone was happy. She looked at a picture of her sister, Allyssa, swinging on the tire swing that they had in the front yard, with her dad pushing her and her mom standing off to the side laughing. They look so happy. She thought. Why did they have to leave her? Why couldn’t she live normally like so many other kids her age? What would happen in the future? So many thoughts were running through her head that she jumped at the sound of the telephone ringing. She looked down and closed the album and put it under her pillow, like she had been doing since the terrible accident. She got off the bed and walked to her dresser to answer it. She picked it up and went:

“Hello?”

“Um, yes, is this Adrienne Nesser?” The caller went.

“Yes, it is. May I ask who’s calling?” She sniffled.

“This is Judy Webhouser, I am going to make sure you get where you need to be and make sure that you’re going to be happy.”

Happy? When would she ever be happy again? She whole life was in complete turmoil. How could it get any better?

“Uh, where do I need to be?”

She asked, rather confused. She didn’t have any relatives that she knew of that would take her in. They were all selfish, self-centered bastards. She sniffled again, her running nose starting to annoy her.

“You have an Uncle named Matthew Pritchard who lives in California, and he’s willing to take you in with his wife, Amelia.”

She doesn’t have an uncle or aunt that lived in California…this was freaking her out.

“When do I leave?”

“Well, for now, I’m going to take you to an orphanage so you won’t be home alone. You’ll stay there for about a week, and during that time, your Uncle Matthew and I will be talking about a time and date for him to come pick you up. I remember him mentioning to me that he had a son about your age that you might get along with.”

“An orphanage?!?!” She screeched. They were dirty, nasty, and fed you nasty food! Why did she have to go there?

“But I’m fine here, alone. Why do I have to go to an…. orphanage?”

“Because, honey, you can’t stay home alone for another week, for one you’re underage, two, you don’t have enough money to buy grocery’s, and three someone could break in and hurt you.”

All of the above were true, she was only fifteen who was terrified of meeting new people, and so buying supplies to keep her alive would be a dreadful task. There was also a possibility that someone could hear or notice that she was the only one in the house, and they could easily kill or rape her. She didn’t want that.

She opened the door to her bedroom to walk downstairs to get a tissue, when Judy spoke up.

“Hello, Adrienne, you still there?”

She snapped out of her thoughts as Judy’s voice startled her.

“Uh, yeah.”

She was too occupied by trying to blow her nose and thinking about how horrible an orphanage would be to even care about this conversation anymore. It’s not like anything would get better. It would only get worse. All her relatives, excluding her mom, dad, and sister, never cared one bit about her, so the thought of moving in with one of them scared her. How come she never knew about this uncle and aunt of hers? Why didn’t anyone tell her? Why did they live so far away?

“Well, I have to go now. I’ll come around and pick you up around noon tomorrow. Better start packing.”

“Uh, yeah, sure, okay.” She stuttered.

Judy hung up and she slowly put the phone back on the receiver. Soon she realized that her legs were shaking. She slowly walked back to her room, grabbing a suitcase from the hall closet next to her bedroom door.

*****

“Finally,” She mumbled.
She had just finished packing all the stuff that she wanted to keep. Normally if her family and herself went on a vacation, she would be the last one to pack. But she started right after she got off the phone with Judy. It helped her not think about all the bad things that were going on in her life. It was amazing that she hadn’t started cutting. She zipped up the fourth and final suitcase filled with clothes and other accessories, such as her iPod, notebook, and her treasured photo album. She took the suitcases down the hall to the front door. Judy would be coming at noon tomorrow. She kept reminding herself. She didn’t feel like waking up early to pack, so she decided to stay up late to do it. Now that she was done, she could get a snack and go to bed. She walked into the kitchen, grabbed a banana, and headed back up the stairs to her bedroom. She sat on her bed, finishing up her banana. She tossed the banana peel into the trashcan, and slid underneath her comfortable sheets. She closed her eyes and within seconds, she drifted off to sleep.