Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Chapter Two

“Good morning Minnesota! The time is now 8:30 and we have the latest weather announcements!”

The radio blared into Adrienne’s ear and it woke her up with a start. Remind her why she needed her alarm to be so loud? She rolled over and turned it off. Yes, peace and quiet. She thought. Suddenly she jumped out of bed, remembering that Judy was bringing her to the…to the…disgusting place. She sat down on her bed, wondering who this Matthew Pritchard guy was. Or his wife Amelia, for that matter. She stood back up, not as excited this time. She looked at the alarm clock. It read 8:33.

“Uhg.”

She got up, and changed into presentable clothing. She walked downstairs and walked into the kitchen.

“Okay, so it’s a banana or cereal.” She said.

She quickly decided that she wanted cereal, and she opened the cabinet above the fridge to get a box. She grabbed the Fruit Loops and sat them on the table. Then she got the milk, spoon, and bowl and sat down at the table. She poured her cereal and milk into the bowl and started eating.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Adrienne looked over to the handset and got up to pick up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Adrienne, this is Judy. I was just calling to make sure you were up.”

Hearing Judy’s voice made her remember where she was going in a couple hours. She really didn’t want to leave just yet. It had been two month’s after her tragic loss, she still wanted to stay home and get over it. It may seem that she has gotten over it, but deep down she still is grieving over her mom, dad, and sister.

“Oh, okay. I’m up. I’m just eating breakfast.”

She walked back to the table and sat down.

“That’s good. Remember that I’ll be there right at noon to bring you to the orphanage.”

“Don’t remind me! I don’t even want to go to that place!”

“Settle down Adrienne, don’t worry, you’ll only be there for a week or two.” Judy attempted to calm Adrienne down, but failed.

“Don’t you think that I should have a say in this? What if I don’t want to go there? What if I don’t want to go to California? You shouldn’t have to make me. I don’t even know you!”

“Adrienne, calm down, alright? You’ll need adjusting time, but you’ll be fine once you settle in.”

“Fine, whatever.”

She hung up. She didn’t need to argue this early in the morning. She finished her cereal and put her bowl in the sink. She trudged upstairs into her room to listen to her iPod. Once she sat down on her bed she reached over to her bedside table and pulled it open.

“Where’s my iPod?”

Then it hit her. It was in her suitcase. She got up and walked downstairs and to the front door, where she put her suitcase the day before. She opened it up, and then all the stuff fell out.

“Dammit!” She howled.

Normally she didn’t cuss, but since no one was here to yell at her, why not? She grabbed her iPod and threw it aside. She gathered up all her clothes and shoved them back into the suitcase and shut it again. She got up and grabbed her iPod as she headed back up the stairs again. She got back into her room and layed down on her bed. She turned on her iPod and listened to the music take her away from reality.

*****

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Adrienne shot up in her bed. She must have fallen asleep.

“What was that?She thought.

She got up and turned her iPod off and laid it down on the table. She got up and walked downstairs.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

“Geez!”

She looked at the clock in the living room.

“Oh yeah!”

Judy was going to be here to pick her up to go to that…place. She walked to the front door and looked through little window. A woman with red, short, curly hair was standing there. It must be Judy. She opened the door.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Adrienne, you ready?”

“Am I going to the orphanage?”

“Yes.”

“Then no, I’m not ready.”

“Adrienne, honey, how do you know that it will be so bad?”

“I’ve seen bad stuff about them on the television.”

“Like what, Adrienne?”

“They lock us up in cages inside this prison-like building. They feed us nasty food. They don’t let us shower. It’s unhygienic. It’s disgusting. I don’t want to go there.”

“Well, people on the television lie a lot. You’re going and you can’t stop me from taking you.”

“Fine, you stupid fucker.”

“Don’t you dare use that language around me, you here?”

“Yes, my mighty princess.”

“And don’t be sarcastic around me, either.”

“Aren’t you picky?”

With that, she walked back upstairs to get her iPod. There was no way that she was going to forget that. She walked into her room and grabbed it.

“Goodbye, old happy life. Hello, new unhappy life.”

She was coming back down the stairs when Judy said:

“Where did you go?”

“I went to my room to get my iPod, you got a problem with it?”

“Just come on Adrienne.”

Judy walked out of the house and Adrienne grabbed her packed suitcase. She closed the door behind her and reluctantly followed Judy. Judy open up the trunk of the car so Adrienne could out her suitcase in it. She was guessing that this was Judy’s car. It was a red Pinto, pretty crappy in her opinion.

Image

She threw her stuff in the trunk and slapped it shut. Judy led her to the back door of the car.

“You’re sitting here.”

She got in and Judy started the engine.

“How far away is it?” Adrienne asked.

“About an hour, if we don’t get stuck in traffic.”

“Oh, joy.”

For the next hour, Adrienne listened to her iPod and looked out the window. Everything that they passed that she had done something around she said goodbye to under her breath. Now that her life had fallen to pieces she was forced to start a new one, no matter how much she didn’t want to. She wanted everything to be how it was. She didn’t like change, and this was too much of a change for her to handle. Fat tears started rolling down her cheeks as she silently cried. Judy may have said something to her but she wouldn’t have heard her. As Judy continued to drive and Adrienne continued to cry, she never thought of the possibility that she might be happy with her new life….