Status: --- Hiatus ---

It's Just Our Fate

Meetings and Worries

(Jackson’s POV)

My cellphone was ringing. It was the fourth time this morning that it was going off, and I was getting sick of it. Lily was laying on my chest, sleeping, so I quickly grabbed it from the table and answered, “Reed.” The background noise sounded like people laughing and music, kind of like a bar, “Reed, It’s Rudy.” I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

Rudy was the guy that assigned me all the hits that I have and have been having for the last four years. “What do you want?”, I asked annoyed. He laughed and talked with someone else for a moment then focused back on me, “Just wanted to see how my favorite employee was doing. Hows the vacation so far?”

Lily wrapped her arm around my waist and snuggled in closer to me. I put an arm around her, smiling slightly, “It’s great. Anything else?” He laughed obnoxiously again and then directed his attention to me, “. How’s Lily?” I sighed a bit, annoyed he disregarded my question but then stared at Lily, “Sleeping.”

He let out an “Oh”, and laughed, “Well you tell her I said Hi, OH, and by the way, I need you to meet me at the docks. Need to discuss something in person.” I rubbed my face, irritated, “Fine. Time?” Rudy once again just laughed, “7:30. Be there.” And with that he hung up. I set the phone back down and rubbed my eyes.

I always hated the calls that brought me back to the reality of what I do for a living. I sighed once more and tried to shake off the thought. Rudy was the only person from my world that met Lily. I trusted him enough to meet her, and he guaranteed he would have people watch after her whenever I was gone.

Even though Rudy ran things real smooth in his neck of the woods, sometimes the people we kill have friends or family that want to get back at the hit-men. A few of my close colleagues got killed and I’m doing all I can to make sure that Lily is safe, when I’m here and when I’m gone.

Lily yawned for a moment and stretched, then turned on her stomach resting her arm on my chest and laid her chin on it, “Morning.” I smiled and kissed her forehead, “Morning.” She smiled at me, doodling objects with her finger on my chest, “Do you have to work today?” I put my hand to the side of her face, rubbing her cheek with my thumb and shook my head. She smiled and slowly straddled me, leaning down to kiss me gently.

It was moments like this that made me weak. I ran my fingertips up her bare back, kissing her back hungrily, “Mmm..” She pulled herself back some, trailing her index finger from the bridge of my nose to my mouth, “What do you wanna do today?” I smiled, holding back a laugh, “After that, there is really one thing I’d love to do.”

She smiled up at me, kissing my cheek, then slide off of me and onto the floor, walking into the bathroom. I sat up in the bed and stretched, I would have to leave at 7 for the meeting with Rudy, but I couldn’t tell her I was meeting him. Even though Lily had met him, and would be fine, it would be better for her if I didn’t mention much of anything.

The shower turned on and I could hear the mixture of the water running and Lily humming a tune. I got out of the bed and slipped on my boxers, walking out of the room and to the kitchen. Max got up eagerly, running circles around my feet, “Hey boy.” I gave him a quick pat and then started making some coffee.

After about 20 minutes, Lily came out from the shower to the living room, dressed in one of my white v-neck shirts, and sat down next to me. “I made you some coffee.” I said holding a mug out to her. She smiled, kissing my cheek quickly, “Thank you.” I kissed the side of her head and continued watching the news, sipping my coffee, focused on what I saw.

Lily fiddled with her mug, barely taking drinks out of it, and if she did they were merely small sips. I set my mug down on the coffee table and looked at her occasionally, wondering what was wrong. “Babe, you alright?”, I said, eyes still on the TV. I could feel her eyes staring at me, trailing my face for something, “What were you really doing in New York?”

I muted the television and moved back a little so I could look at her fully. Her eyes were curious but serious about what she was asking; it was definitely something I knew was going to come around. Even the day I got back, something about it seemed very uneasy with her. “I told you, I had to go up there to pitch one of the new products that the company is coming out with.”, I watched her face carefully, trying to read her emotions.

She scratched her head, not buying it, and tried again, “Jack, you can tell me things, you know that and if…” I sat up straight pulling my arm from her and resting it at my side, “..If there is someone else then I just wann-“

I pulled her face to me, kissing her as roughly as I could, I really didn’t mean to but I was getting angry at what she even considered I would do to her. She kissed me back slowly, my hands behind her neck, holding her there.

When I finally pulled back I stared into her eyes, in all seriousness, my thumbs on each side of her face rubbing her cheeks, “I would never do that to you. Never.” She shut her eyes, not wanting to look at me, “Lily…” Her eyes opened, tears forming in them, “I love you… Why would I ever do something to jeopardize losing you?”

She pulled her face from me slowly, still holding her mug and stared down into it, then set it on the coffee table. She wiped her eyes and I sat, anxious, wanting to hold her and tell her I was here. Lily looked back to me and covered her face with her hands, “I’m so sorry, Claire was talking to me about it and it just got stuck in my head.”

I pulled her to my chest, kissing the top of her head, “You wanted to know, and I told you the truth, it’s alright.” Typical that Claire would be the one to say something, even though we were all friends, Claire never seemed to fully trust me. Especially since Lily is her best friend, which is understandable.

I pulled her shoulders back gently to look at her face, “Lily, I love you more than I can ever explain and I’m telling you, I would never ever cheat.” I smiled, trying to reassure, “How can you cheat on such a perfect girl?” She made a small smile, wrapping her arms around my neck, murmuring I’m Sorry’s and I love you’s.

I held her tight to me, I didn’t want it to stop but I knew sooner or later, I would be leaving to see Rudy, and whatever it was, it wasn’t going to be good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments :)