My Calling

Chapter Five

After spending the past hour sitting around the bus it was pretty safe to say that my band and my old friends were getting along fantastically. Well, everyone but Alex, he had disappeared. I sat quietly, listening to everyone else's conversation, not entirely ready to let my guard down but happy nonetheless.

"Do you guys want to go walk around? We can see who's here already," Jack said, clearly tired of sitting around. Everyone else seemed to agree and started making their way off the bus.

"You coming Lex?" Blaze asked on his way out the door.

"Actually, I think I'm going to stay here for a bit. Today's been a lot to take in," I said quietly. He shot me a look of apology and nodded.

"If you don't mind the company I'll stay behind with you," Katie said, taking the seat across from me.

"I'd like that," I smiled at the pretty girl. I knew we would be good friends.

When the door closed Katie spoke up, “Listen Alexis, I know the boy's side of the story and I can tell you have clearly been through a lot, I just wanted to let you know that I'm here if you want to talk about it. But I want you to know I'm not trying to overstep my boundaries or anything like that."

I smiled," Thanks Katie, and you're not overstepping anything. In fact, I think after everything today it might be good to talk about it. You know, Blaze and Cass are the only people who know the whole story?"

She shook her head and waited for me to continue.

"Well, it happened in the middle of our senior year, right before Christmas," I began," The boys were excused from school a little bit before Christmas break for a small tour. It was kinda hard without them, they were my best friends, and Alex, he was everything to me. My parents took me out one night to cheer me up, and it was a wonderful night. I was always close with my parents. On the way home there was a really bad accident," I paused for a minute to stop the tears that were threatening to spill over.

"Apparently I had been in a coma for almost a week. When I came around all I wanted to do was be back in that sleep, they told me both of my parents had died during the accident. Being a minor, they told me that as soon as I was well enough I would be sent to a foster home, potentially in another state. I couldn't take that, so I ran. I couldn't go home because I knew they'd find me there. The only people in the world I had left were the boys, so I found a pay phone to call Alex. I just needed to hear someone's voice that cared about me, and I needed a place to go. A girl answered. She told me that Alex didn't want to talk to me, not now or ever again. She said that they were dating. And then she said he doesn't love you,"

By now tears were streaming down my face. Katie had abandoned her spot across from me and was now sitting next to me, her arm placed around my shoulders in condolence.

"What did you do?" she asked quietly.

"I didn't know what I was going to do for a while. I honestly felt like I had nothing and no one to live for. But I knew my parents would have been disappointed in me for thinking like that. I remembered going with my mom when I was thirteen to her college roommate's house in Georgia and meeting her family. She was the only person I could think of in the world, so I hopped on a bus and showed up on her doorstep. You know, Blaze was the one who answered the door. I honestly think we became best friends at that very moment. I don't think he even knew who I was, but he pulled me into this tremendous hug, and in a way he's never really let go. He's always there for me."

"And now you're going to spend the next three months on a bus with Alex?" Katie asked, letting out an exasperated sigh.

I paused for a minute," Yes, yes I am."

She pulled me into a big hug and we sat in silence.

------------------------

Alex's POV

I was in shock. Apparently Alexis and Katie didn't know I was in my bunk on the bus. I had never imagined that any of that was why Alexis had left us. I felt like the biggest jerk to ever exist