Status: Done

A Second Chance

The Cook and The Tranny

Once inside I was greeted by some familiar faces, and past those faces I saw another younger looking girl in a short purple dress with pretty red hair. She wore an apron on her dress. I guessed that she was Lidia.

“Oh, Mallory, hello.” I was happy to see Celine standing in front of me, I smiled politely at her.

“Hi Celine, I’m looking for Lidia. She had an order of strawberries from Honey Milk Farm.”

“Ah, Lidia is mine and Kyle’s daughter. She’s practicing to be a chef under Brenda’s guidance.” Celine looked around to make sure no one was close, then quietly whispered, “She’s really not that good of a cook.” I smiled at her sadly.

“Well, I’m not here for a meal, just for deliveries.” Celine grinned happily, then called Lidia’s name. Before Lidia had a chance to respond, a small explosion was heard and seen from the kitchen. Both Celine and I looked over to the small cooking area.

“Lidia! I’ve told you a billion times, stir slowly!” I heard Brenda scold her granddaughter. Celine looked to the ground sadly.

“Oh Lidia…” She said quietly to herself. Smoke was seeping out of the kitchen when out came Lidia and Brenda, both coughing violently. Lidia looked over to her mother and I, then slowly made her way over to us.

“You called Mom?” Celine was staring at the mess of a kitchen behind Lidia’s head when she answered half heartily.

“Uh, yes. The strawberries you ordered are here.” Lidia looked over at me expectantly.

“Uhm, hi. I’m Mallory.” I’m new to the island. Uh, here are your strawberries.” It was in that one solitary sentence that I realized I said “uh” too much. I mentally scolded myself.

“Uhm, I’m going to go help Brenda fix Lidia’s—I mean the kitchen mess.” Celine wandered away toward the kitchen that was still engulfed in smoke. I placed the box of strawberries in Lidia’s hands as she sighed sadly.

“Thanks. Sorry you had to see that.” I smiled at her.

“Eh, it’s ok. I’m really not that great of a cook either.” She smiled timidly at me; it had obviously made her feel better.

“Hey, can you do me a favor and try one of my herb cookies? It’s my first time making them, would you mind trying one?” I thought back to what Luke had told me, about not eating her food. I was about to say no, when I saw her face. She had such a hopeful smile, and her eyes were pleading with me, I just couldn’t let this little girl down. I mean, it was the first time she ever made them. Maybe this was that one recipe that she was good at, it was worth a shot.

“Sure.” Her smile exploded into a huge grin that hurt my face just to look at. She turned and handed me a cookie.

I was way wrong.

When it first hit my taste buds my first thought was that I just ate dried puke. I wanted to spit the repulsive food out of my mouth right away, but then I looked at Lidia and I just couldn’t do it to her. So I sucked it up and swallowed.

“Well, what’d you think?” I picked my words very carefully.

“It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever eaten.” I tried to smile and sound hopeful, but I failed miserably. Lidia’s face fell.

“You hate it! I suck! I always will! I should just give up and stop trying!” She yelled. I gently put one of my hands on her shoulder to comfort her.

“Not everyone can be the best at everything. Cooking might just not be your thing. You’re probably great at something else though. We can’t all be perfect.” I said suddenly sounding a lot older than I was.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. But I work at an inn. My mom’s a great cook, my grandma’s an amazing cook, and I’m supposed to follow in line.” I could see small tears welling up in her small blue eyes. Everything she was saying brought back memories of my own parents and their expectations of me.

“Hey, I know what it’s like to have people expecting you to accomplish great things. You try, and try, and try but it’s still not good enough. That’s when you have to realize that you just weren’t meant to fulfill that in your life. You’re not alone.” She smiled at me slightly.

“Thanks.” I walked to the door and put myself half out of it when I called back.

“And who knows, maybe someday you’ll get that cooking stuff right.” I smiled and walked out the door.

Even though I just gave Lidia a little lecture on being your own person and everything, the whole time I was talking I was holding myself from cutting off my tongue. Her cookie had left a discussing aftertaste and I swear it was slowly burning a hole in my mouth. I ran straight up to Luke.

“Do you have food on you?” He chuckled.

“You ate her cooking didn’t you.” He didn’t say it like a question, just a plain statement, which sadly it was.

“Well, she looked at me so hopefully, and I couldn’t say no, and I ate it, and I wanted to rip my tongue out, and I couldn’t tell her how bad it was, and, and— you’re not helping by laughing!” I yelled when I saw the cute little carpenter boy cracking up.

“S-Sorry.” He stuttered though his immense laughter. I grew a little irritated with him, if only for a split second.

“Look, do you have food or not? My tongue is about to jump out of my mouth.” After a few minutes he regained himself and pulled out a bag of spinach from his pants pocket; he handed it to me. I took it and stared at him like he had three heads. “Who are you? Popeye?” I chuckled; suddenly back in a good mood.

“Dude, Popeye got to beat in the baddies and always got the girl in the end. I’d love to be compared to him.” I popped the spinach quickly into my mouth to rid myself of the horrible taste of Lidia’s cooking. As I chewed I looked at the last box of strawberries. I swallowed then spoke.

“Ok, Mr. Sailorman, where’s Mark?” I asked when Luke began walking. Subconsciously I followed.

“I’m guessing the clinic, that is if it’s not closed.” I blinked at him.

“They close the clinic? What happens if someone get’s sick when it’s not opened?” Luke chuckled to himself as he shrugged.

“Sucks for them.” We rounded a small corner and walked a tiny bit until we stood in front of the small medical building. “That’s it. Mellon Tree Clinic.”

“They have some really weird names in this town.” I pointed out. He looked over at me with a sarcastic smile.

“You have no idea.” He said as he rolled his eyes. I walked toward the clinic doors when to my surprise Luke followed close behind. I looked at him before I entered.

“You’re coming in too?” He smiled.

“I wanna see your reaction to this one.” I frowned.

“My reaction to what?” Luke pulled open the door and pointed behind me. When I first looked, I just stared. I saw someone in a white doctor’s coat, with a Japanese garment on underneath composed of colors of yellow and purple. Their black hair was neatly tied back in a ponytail with some loose strands dangling in their face, right above their small glasses. I just stared at the person with a shocked face; Luke was loving it. I leaned closer to the boy and quietly whispered.

“Uhm, is that a boy or a girl?”

“I’m not sure myself, but I’ve heard people refer to—” Luke paused, wracking his brain for the right words. “That person as a him. Plus I heard that Chloe had a thing for him, and I’m pretty sure she isn’t a lesbian.” He paused. “Then again, it wouldn’t surprise me if she was.” I would have laughed if Luke hadn’t sounded so serious. Mark then must have caught sight of us and came walking over.

“Hello. Can I help you two?” He sounded like a guy…kinda. I shook myself mentally.

“Strawberry delivery from Honey Milk Farm.” Luke said to my surprise. Mark smiled.

“Ah yes. Thank you Luke.” Luke handed him the strawberries when the doctor looked over to me.

“I don’t recognize you. Do you feel ok?”

“Oh yes. I feel fine. I’m new, my name is Mallory.”

“Well, welcome to the island Mallory.” He said as he smiled and walked over to his desk. Luke and I ditched the place before the tranny had a chance to come back.
♠ ♠ ♠
HA ♥