Code

The Summer Planning

Nature's light was almost out, and two Fourth years watched the splendor of it. The sky turned a pumpkin orange color, with cotton candy clouds following the ball of light westward.

"Sunsets are nature's magical wonder, don't you think, Sev?" a red-haired girl asked her best friend, the both of them curled up in the grass.

Severus smiled. "Yeah, Lily, they are." His hands were out on either side of him, holding him up as he looked to the girl on his immediate left. His green shirt bunched up in places at the angle he was sitting in, his jeans doing the same at the knees.

"We're going to be going home tomorrow," Lily stated, a sad tone to her voice. "Petunia most likely won't want you within fifty feet of the house." She smiled apologetically, shrugging her shoulders. Her golden shirt clung to her, and moved with her movements. "I don't care. I can just go to your house and say that I'm going to a friend's," she suggested, not feeling a bit guilty about it. It was true.

He shook his head, his straight black locks swishing about. "My mom wouldn't like that. She'd probably send you away the first chance she gets." His tone was apologetic as well, his eyes averting her gaze.

Severus' mother hated muggle-borns, and didn't like Severus hanging out with people like Lily. That's why he couldn't seem to find a way to spend time with her over summer break.

Lily nodded, her green eyes wandering among the clouds. They had turned a dark peach color, patches of rose here and there. "Well, we can just tell our relatives that we're going to meet a friend at the park, and if they ask who we can give code names for each other," she suggested, as if it were the simplest thing in the world. Her eyes widened in excitement, the idea sounding too simple and realistic. She thought it would work.

He mulled over the idea, finding holes in the plan. She took hold of his arm and shook it, pleading playfully, "C'mon Sev! You know it's a good idea!" He smiled at her persuading tone, his head slowly shaking a 'no.'

"What if they ask for the other for dinner or something?"

She replied, "Then we'll say the other is already having dinner and can't come."

Severus sighed, leaning his head on Lily's shoulder. "I still don't think it'll work. They'll find out eventually, my mother and your sister," he muttered, watching the sun melting more into the earth, showing itself to another part of the world.

"No they won't," Lily insisted, turning slightly, causing Severus' face to be buried into her neck. She smiled, and added, "We won't let them. We're best friends, Sev. We have a right to see each other during the summer, at least write to one another. Since writing letters back and forth is out of the question, we'll have to see each other."

He chuckled, his breath making her neck warm. "Okay, okay. We'll hang out this summer." His lips ghosted on her neck, a butterfly's touch, before pulling away. Before she could even realize what had happened. He kept his head on her shoulder, and looked up at her. "What shall our code names be, then?"

"Hm," she thought, her forehead scrunched in concentration. Severus thought it was terribly cute, though he didn't speak it. "I'm not entirely sure, actually." She looked out at the sky, noticing that the sun had crept away, the small frame of light the only evidence it was there in the first place. "How about we mull over it after the last Feast on the train ride home? They'll scold us if we're even a minute late to the Feast. Oh, heaven forbid we're even a second late!" she said sarcastically, exaggerating her movements, causing Severus to move his head from her shoulder.

He laughed, something he hadn't done in ages. Lily grinned at him and said, "You have a nice laugh, Sev. I think you should laugh more. It's good for your health."

Severus gave a small grin in return as they headed back to the Great Hall, though he didn't say a reply in return.

The pair arrived in the Great Hall and parted ways, separating to go to their respected tables, as were the other students arriving in the hall for the dinner. Severus trudged over to Slytherin's table and sat down next to some boy's he was acquainted with, and Lily did the same, sitting next to a few friends.

Lily sat not too far away from James Potter, a boy who would unabashedly bully Severus, her best friend. She ignored him most of the time whenever he'd try to get her attention, unless she couldn't get away from him. This was a time where she could freely ignore him, as he was seven students down from her.

He was about to call out her name when Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat, causing the whole Hall to go silent.

He was smiling upon the congregation of students, and placed his hands on the side of the podium. "This year has had it's twists and turns, and here were are, the last day upon us. A full school year gone, and I think some of you had grown, and other's still need to." Some students snickered, proving his point as he looked at them, their snickers turning to silence. "And now we are here, all anxious to find out the results of the House Cup, correct?" All of the students cheered a yes, and he continued.

"The House Cup is for the House that has the highest points at the end of the year, and as the Headmaster has always done, I shall announce the winner," he smiled, his eyes grazing over the students heads, looking at each table. "With 387 points, in fourth place, Ravenclaw." The Ravenclaw group clapped, along with the other students, though their table was solemn. "Next, with 400 points, Hufflepuff." Their table looked solemn as well, and both the Gryffindor table and Slytherin table looked a bit more ecstatic and hopeful.

Both Lily and Severus looked at each other, an expectant look upon each of their faces. They knew who was going to win. It had been happening the past few years, and they were sure it wasn't going to change anytime soon.

"In second place, with 420 points, is Gryffindor, which means that the House Cup winner is Slytherin, with 430 points!" The Slytherin table was cheering long before they were announced as the winner.

Lily looked over at Severus and shook her head in amusement as she watched him jump up and down with his fellow Slytherins. They knew it was going to happen, and it didn't surprise her in the least.

"I think this requires a change of decoration, don't you?" A bemused Dumbledore stated, waving his wand and changing the draperies and banners to match the colors of the Slytherin house, which were green and silver. "Now, let the feasting commence!"

Food was placed magically in front of the students, urging them to start eating. Once all of the students had their fill, they were sent back to their House dormitories to get ready for the train ride home the next day. Most of the students had packed already, and others were heading off to finish their packing.

"Hey! Here's an empty one! C'mon." It was the next morning, and Lily was leading the way through the Hogwarts Express, having found an empty compartment for her and Severus to sit in. Once the two were in, Lily closed the door. She sighed, and then added, "Now no one will bother us while we try to figure out our code names."

Severus' eyes widened slightly, as he had almost forgotten about the code naming needing to be done. "Um, yeah," he agreed shakily, noticing James in the window behind Lily, glaring at him, but also looking at the back of Lily's head. Severus brought his line of sight back to Lily's, trying to keep the attention on him so she wouldn't turn around and notice James.

"We need to get our names straightened out, and no funny business, either," Lily continued, deciding to ignore Severus' slight stutter of agreement. "Do you have any ideas?"

He shook his head.

"I guess I'll start, then. We can suggest names for the both of us." Severus nodded, and she continued, pondering as she looked out of the window, the landscape racing beside the train. "Um...how about Alexander for you?"

Severus shook his head, his nose slightly scrunched up in distaste.

Lily grinned. "Okay...how about Grayson?" she prompted, getting another shake of the head. "Parker?" Another shake. Lily groaned, and then suggested shrilly, "Adrian!?"

Severus grinned and shook his head at her desperation for him to pick something. She mistook it for another negative answer and started to ramble off other names when he stopped her and replied, "Adrian's fine. I-I like Adrian."

"Finally!" she said, as she leaned back into the bench.

"Now, it's your turn to pick out a name," Severus said, and then suggested, "Elsie."

"Too babyish, I think," she dismissed.

"Catherine?"

"Maybe, but I'm still not sure. Continue, just in case." She smiled at him, relieved to get him talking any.

"Aubrey?" he fired off, his right hand waving around as if he were casting a spell, minus a wand being in his hand. She shook her head. "Jeanette?"

She narrowed her green eyes at him, and nodded an affirmative. "I like Jeanette." She smiled at him, causing his face to feel heated. "Well, it's settled. If they ask for a last name we can just pick one off the top of our heads and tell the other later."

Severus nodded, and leaned back, enjoying the rest of the ride home while Lily made small talk. Once they reached their destination, they had to leave separately, searching for their relatives.

They had decided to try out the code names in two weeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
C/C?

Hope you enjoyed reading. <3