The Flood Is Getting Closer

nineteen

“Are you freaking insane!” I couldn’t be calm another minute. She dropped her wrench and Gabe also looked. “I might be” She said. “I think I hear my phone” Gabe left. “Natalie before I went to bed an old racing buddy texted me told me about tonight. I been up since working on her” She said. “Again this is nuts I thought we were going to lure him and then ambush” I said. “This is way better” Scottie said. “How so? Cause all I can think of how nuts you are right now. You need to sleep you need to not do this like this. You just need to be happy with Max” I snapped. She turned off the lamp and closed her tool box. “Where are you going” I asked. “Your right I shouldn’t do this so I’m not” She walked back into the house. I followed her. “You’re done already” Gabe said holding a cup of tea in his hand. “Apparently to this one I’m crazy” She takes the tea and walks upstairs. Gabe looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders and walked upstairs to my room. There was a knock at my door. I walked to it and opened it; Craig pushed me into the room and kissed me, walking me backwards onto the bed.

I got my breath back and looked at the sweaty guy next to me. "Any reason why we just did that?" I asked. He smiled and pulled me into his arms. "Well if you're going through with this thing then I wanted to have you first." I frowned at him. "You think I would have sex with him?" I asked deeply hurt. "No," He started. "Just get out Craig." I said. "What? No!" He said loudly. I glared at him. "I didn't think you would have sex with him, I just wanted you and have done for a long time." He said. "Yeah that's not what you just said before." I muttered. "I'm sorry I didn't mean it in that way." He said pressing his lips against my shoulder. "Okay," I said and turned onto my side so I was facing him. The door swung open and Scottie walked in and straight back out quickly. We both burst out laughing. "Oh, Nat I love you." Craig said, his eyes went wide and so did mine. "Huh?"

Scottie’s POV

“You should really get a few minutes of shut eye” My brother said. “But the race is tonight I have to make sure the car is up to speed” I said. “I can take care of that you need to get some rest” He took my wrench from my hand. “Fine” I walked upstairs into my room. I shut the door and fell on the bed. Falling asleep almost instantly.

Flashback Age 18

“Well Ms. Saporta congratulations you’re pregnant” The doctor came back into the room reading the test results. “Are you absolutely positive I am pregnant and it’s not a tumor?” I asked him. He takes off his glasses and stares me in the eye. “I’ve been doing this longer then you’ve been alive. I know when some is pregnant” He said and left the room. I got dressed and left the doctor’s office with information and stuff I needed for the pregnancy. I looked at my cell phone. No missed calls or text messages from Ronnie or anyone. How on earth am I going to tell him we’re having a kid…

I got home and still hadn't heard anything from Ronnie. I tried to call him but it went straight through to answer phone. A few hours passed by and I must have fell asleep because I woke up to a thumping on the door. I groaned and sat up rubbing my eyes. I walked to the door and opened it to see Ronnie out of his face and looking really angry. "How long does it take to open a fucking door!" He growled at me. "I'm sorry I was asleep!" I said, he pushed me back and walked into the apartment straight to the fridge. "Why is there no beer!" He roared. I knew what was coming but I had to stop him, I am carrying his baby. Unfortunately he didn't just hit me with his fists; I don't know what it was but the next thing I knew I was out cold.

End of flashback

I got up feeling the same as I always felt. I walked into the bathroom and lifted sleeve. Distinctive burn marks on the inside of my upper arms. Tears swelled in my eyes. “Scottie” A knock came from the other side of the door. I wiped my eyes. “One second” I splashed some water on my face and opened the door. “Morning sunshine it’s nearly four” It was Craig. “I guess I was really tired” I said. “You’re ok” He said. “Oh yeah Gabe said Bridget is ready?” He had a confused look. “Oh it’s my car come see it” I said.

“She’s all finished” Gabe said handing me the keys. “Thanks bro but seriously who came in to help with this?” I asked. “Oh you know. They’re out back dying to see you again” He grinned. My eyes lit up. I ran out back to see my best childhood friends Alex Varkatzas having a smoke with Dan Jacobs. “Scooter!” Dan ran up and hugged me. “Danny” I laughed. “You’ve grown” I teased. “Shut up”. “How much did Gabe pay you two to come help fix Bridget?” I asked Alex who I knew did most of the work looking at his greased up hands. “Just promised we can have you” He hugged me. “You’re so funny you did meet my boyfriend Max right?” I said. “The one who looks like a girl?” Dan teased. “I’m sorry I think Snow White is wondering why the 8th dwarf isn’t at the house”

"Have you seen Natalie anywhere?" I asked Craig. "She had just got out of the shower when I checked last, she shouldn't be long, she knows to be ready for half four." He said. "Hold on you have a friend that isn't a guy?" Dan teased. I punched his arm hard and he pouted rubbing the sore spot. I heard the distinctive laugh of my English friend from inside the house but only saw Rob, she was standing behind him. Dan will love the fact there is someone smaller than him that isn't a child. "Does anyone have a lighter I have lost mine." Came Natalie's voice from behind Rob still. I slightly pushed Rob over to Craig and grabbed Natalie's arm. "Nat, this is Alex and Dan my best friends since I could walk” I said. “Hello” Her face was turning red and I tried not to laugh. “Good your all acquainted. I have to get ready” I ran inside. “Seriously how do you not hit that” Katie was looking out the window from the sink. “Max has first dibs” I walked upstairs.

Natalie’s POV

“So you know you’re the first friend of Scooters that doesn’t have a cock you know that right?” Dan said. “Yeah” I said. “Why so quiet we don’t bite I mean our friend Saller might but he’s harmless you’ll see him tonight along with more than half of our high school isn’t that right Danny” Alex said. I tried my hardest not to stare at his blue eyes. I nodded. "So does anyone have a lighter or what?" I asked looking back at the house. Max walked outside and handed me a lighter that looked a lot like mine. "You found my lighter, nice one." I said lighting my smoke. I sat down on a chair and looked at my arm. I frowned cursing myself. Craig just told me he loved me, I didn't say it back and now I'm going all soft at some other guy I just met. Maybe I am just a whore like the people back at home said I was. I just couldn't control myself around hot guys it was like an illness. The amount of beatings I used to get for sleeping with someone’s boyfriend. I came out here for a fresh start, Scottie doesn't know about my weakness with men and I hope she will never find out, I just know I am stronger than I think I am, I need to man up and stay away from Alex Varkatzas.

Scottie’s POV

I was in my room getting dressed when Max walked in. “Do I have anything to worry about?” He asked shutting the door. I zipped up my hoodie and looked at him. “About what?” I asked. “Your friends downstairs” He said. “No why would you?” I asked. “Oh I don’t know it seems every time I turn around another one of your friends is popping out of nowhere and they’re all guys. You seem to have a lot of good looking guy friends and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they’re all your close friends. I mean have they ever tried to get with you. Or have you slept with any of them. I mean I do have the right to know since we are dating” He said. I was shocked by his answer. “I don’t think its appropriate asking me these questions” I said calmly. “Why not? It’s obvious you have history with that Dan guy down there and I don’t even want to know about that Alex. I saw him looking at you from the kitchen. You were in a complete daze with him” Max said. “Well if you feel that way then maybe I should be with them and NOT YOU WHO I FUCKING THOUGHT CARED ABOUT ME AND NOT THE FUCKING LIES HE’S PORING INTO MY SKIN!” I snapped walking out of the room and downstairs to the garage. I got into the car and slammed the door shut. I sat there in utter silence crying. There was a knock on the window and I looked up to see Alex. I unlocked the doors and he got into the passenger side. "What happened?" He asked. "It doesn't matter," I said. "Don't bullshit me Scottie." He said. I sighed and looked at him. "Max thinks that I have history with pretty much every guy friend I have, like I am some kind of slut or something." I said. "He is an idiot if he thinks that, come here." He said pulling me into a hug.