The Flood Is Getting Closer

nine

"Well you could get someone to live here in the other room it would make the bills easier to pay?" She shrugged and I chuckled a bit. "Yea sure and I'll totally love living with some random stranger." I said. "Hey I'm not a random stranger!" She said with a small grin. "You totally want to live with me, like properly move from your place and come here, to live?" I asked and she rolled her eyes. "Come on I know you hate it here on your own, Craig filled me in with that one!" She said making me nod. Note to self don't tell Craig anything. "So what do you think Max would want to see me in on this date of ours" Scottie said. I tried to hold back a laugh. "You care what he thinks?" I said. "No but I haven't really been on a date so I kinda want to do it properly I guess" She shrugged. "Well I guess lets go to the mall and see where it takes us from there" I said. "Fine but you're driving. Max drove my car here" She said. "Fine with me always wanted to drive your car" I smiled. I sat in Scottie’s car with my hands gripping the steering wheel. "Are you actually going to drive anywhere today?" Scottie asked. I chuckled and nodded starting the car and pulling out onto the street and made our way to the mall.

Scottie's POV

"What about something like this" Natalie held up a strapless polka dotted dress. "I'm not marrying the guy and I hate dresses" I said. "Ok you asked me for your help. I'm trying you’re not. Be a little more opened minded" She said. "I am but I don’t want to show him I'm trying" She nodded and then walked completely out of the store. I followed her slightly confused. "Where are we going?" I asked. "Well you don't want to wear a dress, you don’t want to look like you are trying so that store was obviously not the right one, how do you feel about skinny jeans?" She asked me. I shrugged. "I only really ever wear shorts; I guess I can give them a go." I said. Natalie smiled and dragged me into Hot Topic. She got me a few dark pairs of skinny jeans and some fitted band t-shirts.

I decided to go with a black and white stripped fitted tank and pair of demine ripped cut off jeans. “Whatever happened to not trying” Nat said. “Dude it’s for when we go to Fresno as well” I said. “I’m sure” She said as we paid and left the shop. “So what shoes you gonna wear with your outfit missy” Nat teased. “Flip flops” I said. She shook her head. “Now what” I said. “Can I at least do you make up for your date” She asked. “Fine whatever” I said. Natalie smiled. “Oh yeah Max called when you were in the fitting room. The date is tonight”I looked at her with wide and shocked eyes. "What do you mean the date is tonight?" I asked my voice a little higher. "What I said, it's tonight." Natalie said no emotion on her face at all. I hated the fact she showed no emotion ever it makes it hard to know if she is telling the truth or just joking around. "Are you being serious Natalie?" I asked and she rolled her eyes. "I am being deadly serious Scottie now please find something to wear I am in need of a smoke." She said and walked straight out of the dressing room. I quickly paid for my new clothes and left the store to see Natalie stood against a wall with a cloud of smoke around her. "Should we get you back and ready then?"

We got back to my apartment and I jumped into shower as Natalie threw together my outfit for the night. I put the clothes on and she made me sit down and began her work on me. I prayed for the best outcome and he wouldn’t laugh at what I would look like. “Alright Scottie” Natalie whipped out a hair dryer and iron and make up. “I hope you can fix it so my eye doesn’t get the stare down” I said. “Relax I know what I’m doing. Just sit tight will you and relax. The kid already likes you so you don’t have to worry about anything” She said. The next thing I knew I had straight hair and makeup like Kat Von D. I looked hot! "Damn Nat you ever thought about doing this shit professionally?" I asked her. She shrugged. "Nah you need certificates for that shit." She said. My eyes widened. "You mean you didn't study beauty or anything like that?" I asked her. She just shook her head. "Nah self taught and trust me I have tried and tried to get a job in the beauty industry but apparently I can't without a certificate." She said. "Why don't you just go to beauty school?" I asked and she laughed. "No thank you!" The door bell rang and my eyes widened with fear, yea that’s right I was scared as hell! I threw my patch on over my eye as Natalie went to answer the door. “Hello gorgeous” It was Craig. “What the fuck” I got up and walked into the living room. “Scottie damn you look good” He said walking over to me. “Fuck off where’s Green?” I asked. “He’s on his way said he had to get your car nice and detailed” Craig said. I rolled my eye. “Damn Scottie Max won’t keep his eyes off you tonight” Craig winked. “Natalie just take Craig and leave will you” I was stressing. “Scottie I didn’t mean anything like that” Craig said. “I don’t care just both of you leave. I’m getting freaked out” I ran my hands through my hair. They both left leaving me alone. I sat on the couch looking at my hands as I waited for Max. I was so nervous more because of the fact I knew that this date would leave me having major feelings for the guy.

Natalie's POV.

I walked ahead of Craig mostly feeling shy, I didn't know what to say to him so I planned on being completely silent. "So do you think the date will go well?" I heard his voice and closed my eyes tightly for a second to gain my composure and turned to face him. I shrugged my shoulders. "Who knows I guess we will have to wait and see." I said and the turned back to pacing ahead of him. "Natalie?" I heard his voice again. "What?" I asked and frowned. "Why don't you like me?" I started walking again. “I mean what did I do to deserve this treatment” He said. Craig was right he didn’t deserve this from me but I knew myself and falling for people nothing ends well. “At least admit you do like me. I know Scottie she wouldn’t lie to me but she has been fishy about me asking her about you. So I just need to know if the truth. The truth is all I want Natalie” He said. I stopped again and looked at him. He smiled faintly at me. I sighed. “It’s not like I don’t like you because I do” I said shutting my eyes dreading for his answer. I felt warm arms around me and his soft lips upon mine. I opened them and he smiled down at me. “I’m really glad you do like me” He said. “Me too” We kissed again.

Scottie’s POV

It’s been two hours since Max said he was going to be here. I seriously was getting fed up with this. I knew this was going to happen. I was getting stood up once again. Maybe I deserved it but it’s sad cause it’s happened before but different guy. I would think I would be use to this. The clock on wall read 10:15pm I got up and went into the bathroom to wash the ridiculous make up off me. I brushed my teeth and changed into some boxers and a tee shirt. I went in my room and began to cry. I heard a knock on my door but ignored it. "Scottie, its Natalie you have to answer the door it's Max, he's been in an accident!" I shot up out of bed and ran to my door and swung it open. Natalie and Craig stood there. "What do you mean an accident?" I asked. "Well when he was coming to see you his car was hit." Craig said. "Is he hurt badly?" I asked. "Not really a few cuts but they won’t let him leave, he's mega pissed about it, and all he kept saying was that he has an important date with you tonight, he nearly got arrested for kicking up such a fuss about it." Natalie said. I shook my head and grabbed my coat. I can't believe I thought he would stand me up. Well it is Max Green we’re talking about here.

We arrived at the hospital and a nurse directed us to where Max was. I walked into his room. He was standing staring out the window in one of the hospital gowns. “That’s a good look for you Green” I said. He turned around smiled and ran over to me. “I am so sorry some fucker clipped your car” He said embracing me into a bear hug. “It’s better knowing you didn’t ditch me” I tried hard not to cry. He let me go and smirked at me. “What?” I said. “You look like you really got dressed to see me” He laughed. I forgot I was wearing boxers. “I rushed to come see you. Give me credit here. If I didn’t care for you I wouldn’t have rushed to come here and release your butt” I smiled. Max came back over to me and looked into my eyes. “You..” “I hope we’re not interrupting anything” Craig and Natalie walked in with Max’s belongings. “You’re free to leave mate. Doc’s gonna come in and discharge you in a minute” Natalie said. I looked at them. “I’ll see you later” I pulled Max into a hug and brushed my lips against his cheek. “Bye” I ran out of the room. I got outside and hailed a cab too much emotions and feelings for one day. He can’t find out I do like him. Not like this. "Oi! Scottie what are you doing?" I heard Craig yell after me. I stopped and turned towards him forgetting for a moment that I was crying. "Hey, come here." He said pulling me into a hug. "I like him Craig I really do like him." I started. "There is a but in this sentence isn't there." He said. I nodded against his shoulder. "But, I don't want to get hurt man, you know what happened last time. When Max didn't show I thought it would be the same thing all over again." I whimpered. "Hey look, that's not going to happen. I know Max and I know how much he likes you." Craig said. "Yes but people change Craig I mean look at how soft you are now that Natalie has come along." I said with a smirk wiping my eyes. "Hey, I'm not turning into a softy I am simply being a gentleman!" He defended. "Because that has gotten you somewhere so far hasn't it." I said sarcastically. "Well that is where you are wrong Claire Bear because we happened to kiss before Max got into a fender bender." My eyes widened and I grinned at him. "Ooo Craig has a girlfriend!" I sang at him. He rolled his eyes. "Not just yet Scooter but maybe who knows, I can't really say I know her that well yet." He said. I nodded my head. "None of us do really." I agree'd and frowned. "She could be anyone."