Status: Complete

Before the Fall

Ch. 3

Faye opened her door and found Ignatius standing there. Faye offered him a half smile, which he didn’t return. His expression was completely blank.

“My parents sent me up to help you pack. We’re running on a tight schedule, and they want to make sure that there is enough time to discuss everything.”

“Oh, alright. I think I’ve got a couple of suitcases on the top shelf of my closet, if you could get them down,” Faye said. They were from a big birthday trip to Florida that her nanny had planned for her tenth birthday.

He got them down and the pair worked to throw in all of Faye’s things that she wanted to keep. Some things, like Sir Remington, her big pink stuffed animal bunny, were going to be left behind.

Once everything was packed half an hour later, Faye broke the long silence, saying, “Thank you, Ignatius. I know that you weren’t given much of a choice in coming up here, but I appreciate your help, anyway.”

Color flashed on his cheeks and he said, “Don’t call me that. I go by Nace.” Faye frowned, wondering if he was flushed because of embarrassment. That was a common reaction when Faye thanked them in that genuine way of hers. Or maybe he was mad? There was a certain set to his jaw that seemed to suggest anger.

“I’d appreciate even more if you could give me a hand with these- oh!,” she said, going over to her bed and realizing that he had already taken her two suitcases and her duffle bag. There was nothing for her to carry except for her purse.

“Thank you,” Faye said again, meeting Nace's eyes for a second so he would know that she meant it, and left the room.

When they drove away, Faye looked back, not at her house or at Avery and Scott, but at Logan’s house, where he was watching from his window and waving a grim goodbye.

It took all of Faye’s strength not to cry.

“Now, darling,” Liz began, “we have lots of things that we need to discuss with you, and Richard and I are going to need to head straight to work once we get home. So we’ll just have to talk now. I should think we’ve got enough time. I’m sure you have questions that need answered.”

Faye looked at her silently for a minute, sorting out her thoughts. “Why did you leave me with them?” she finally asked.

“It’s always the toughest questions to answer that are asked first,” Richard grumbled. Nace just shifted in his seat and glared out the window. Faye got the feeling that he didn’t approve of her.

“Well, my dear, years back- as soon as our Ignatius was born- we hired some women to carry children for us,” Liz said delicately. Faye could feel herself staring, but she didn’t care. “We handpicked those women, with the idea that whoever had a girl first would give her to us. The others got hefty payments for their participation and kept their children.”

“But that’s-” Faye cut herself off. She did her best not to criticize people, so she couldn’t say what was on her mind. It was sickening. Barbaric. Faye cleared her throat and asked, “Why?” She noticed Nace’s foot start tapping, though his expression didn’t change.

“Let’s cut to the chase, Liz,” Richard, ever the businessman, said. “You’re going to marry Ignatius.”

Faye felt the color drain from her cheeks, and felt lightheaded. “I’m sorry, sir, but I think I’ve heard you wrong. Or I misunderstood. Because it sounded like you said that you expect me to…”

Nace looked at her when she trailed off, his expression softening just the littlest bit. Oh, he was furious about the situation; he just knew that she was not to blame. And he knew how she must be feeling. Trapped. Alone. Used. Unsurprisingly, she wouldn’t meet his gaze.

“No, dearie, I think you heard exactly right,” Liz said, patting Faye’s thigh in what she probably thought of as a comforting way. Faye felt her temper rise. How dare she act understanding, when she was asking- no, demanding- Faye to marry her son, a complete stranger? Who did that?