Bella's Monthly Gift

Day 6: Recovery

Bella and Edward were lying in Bella’s bed together – completely clothed, mind you – the next day. Bella was embarrassed. The scene that had happened the day before just kept running through her mind.

Bella had her eyes closed and her face buried into Edward’s chest. He kept assuring her that everything turned out ok. Other than Jasper’s pride and her dislocated shoulder, which Carlisle had put back into place with a painful twist, no one had gotten hurt.

“I was stupid and careless,” Bella moaned, looking up at him. “I will never be able to look at your family the same way again.”

Edward chuckled. He noticed that her usual frown was returned to her face, and her PMS symptoms were starting to die down. To him, all was well.

That is, until he smelled it. That smell that made him cringe no matter where he was. That smell that dogs get when they’re wet. That smell…that smells…smelly. Ugh, he needed to stop watching Spongebob when he was bored.

As if on cue, there was a knock at Bella’s front door.

“Jacob.” Edward mumbled.

“What?” Bella asked, rubbing her eyes. “Who’s at the door?”

“Don’t worry, love,” he told her, slowly getting up from the bed and making his was downstairs. “I’ll answer it.”

Bella didn’t complain. Charlie wasn’t home and she wasn’t exactly in the mood to be friendly to visitors.

Edward opened the door and glared at the unwelcome guest, who glared back.

“What do you want?” Edward asked, making sure to keep the screen door closed, a transparent barrier between the two enemies.

“I’m here to see Bella,” Jacob answered, folding his arms, muscles tense.

“Who is it?” Bella called from upstairs.

“No one,” Edward shouted back. Or at least tried to shout. He doesn’t exactly have the loudest voice. It came out more like a mumble.

“It’s Jacob!” Jacob yelled into the house, voice considerably louder than the vampire’s.

The two heard some sort of ‘thump’ emanate from the floor above them, and then rushed footsteps as Bella made her way down the stairs.

“Jake!” Bella exclaimed, extremely happy to see her best friend. “You’re finally talking to me!”

She pushed passed her vampire lover and opened the screen door, allowing her favorite werewolf to enter the house. As soon as he walked inside, she pulled him into a hug, with Jake making sure to smirk at the other man in the room.

“I heard you were down in La Push the other day,” he told her. “And you didn’t stop by to say hello.”

“You were mad at me, remember,” Bella answered.

“Wait,” Jacob said suddenly, letting Bella go and then looking at her suspiciously. He sniffed the air. “I smell something.”

“I know,” Bella said, rolling her eyes. “But Edward has a right to be here too, you know.”

“No not that…” he said, his voice trailing off and his eyes narrowing. “It smells like…blood.”

Edward and Bella shot each other nervous glances.

“It’s your blood, Bella,” Jacob snarled, whipping his head towards Edward. “What did you do to her?”

Edward couldn’t help but chuckle. Jacob glared at this response.

“This isn’t funny!” Jacob yelled, slamming Edward against the wall. “Why can I smell her blood?”

“You can smell her blood because you’re a bloody blood hound,” Edward retorted cockily, still smiling.

“That’s not what I meant and you know it!”

“Why don’t you sniff out the source?” Edward asked, raising an eyebrow. “You should be good at it.”

And oddly enough, Jacob did just that. Most likely to prove something to the vampire. Only a little bit because he was curious.

Jacob crouched down low to the ground and began sniffing the floor, his nose leading him towards Bella.

“There’s,” he paused and sniffed again. “There’s two distinct scent trails, but both are your blood. I’m going to track the one upstairs first.”

“No, Jacob wait!” Bella tried to stop him, but the stubborn werewolf would not. Edward had to hold her back to prevent her from physically stopping him. He was enjoying this way too much.

Jacob ascended up the stairs, still crawling on the ground like a dog. Eventually, he disappeared out of sight. There was a brief awkward silence between the two remaining people. Edward was waiting patiently for Jacob’s future discovery, and Bella was waiting impatiently.

Suddenly, there was a cry from upstairs, followed something following over, and then another brief silence. Edward chuckled once more, because sadly, that’s all he can do. He’s not good with full, robust laughs.

Jacob slowly walked down the stairs with a blank expression on his handsome face. He walked straight up to Bella, but did not look her in the eye. Instead, he said, “I think it’s best if I go now.”

“But you just got here!” Bella complained, reaching out to touch his hand, but he pulled out reach.

“I think it’s best if we returned to talking through notes,” he told her, walking to the door. As he reached his escape route, he turned around one more time and said, “You should really change out your garbage can after it begins to overflow. It’s not very sanitary.”

And then he turned around, and left. Bella was sad, and Edward was pleased.
♠ ♠ ♠
DISCLAIMER: I do not own Spongebob....thank God.

Ta da! *Food is thrown at me* Ok, ok, I'm sorry! I know it's been a couple of days since I last posted, but I've been busy! I had to take three days off for my sister's graduation party. They're twins. I needed a day to prepare, a day to participate, and then a day to recover, much like Bella here did. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter anyways! *Smiles*

Jacob made an appearance! Dun da dun da! This was a shout out to all of you wonderful Jacob fans who have been waiting for our favorite werewolf to show up. Unfortunately he showed up at the wrong place at the wrong time. Poor fella.

Tell me what you thought! Was it wonderfully amazing? Terribly awesome? You tell me, my good fans, and I will post the very last chapter of this wonderful ficticious story! Bye bye!

Day 7: Free at Last
Things can return to normal.....pft, yeah right.