Status: After a long (forced) hiatus, I'm back in full force!

Life on Mars

Chapter 3 - world-class jerk

*Eliza’s POV*

That’s it. I’ve decided I’m a world-class jerk. Presley and I had spent the last two hours with Jared and Shannon and it had become frighteningly obvious that they were both very nice and very sincere. My earlier chastising of Shannon and his career had served me of no use.

The bartender, Marty, was the one who told me that the man with the five o’clock shadow that Presley was talking to across the dance floor was Shannon Leto. I wondered at first if maybe she didn’t realize who he was, but honestly, who didn’t recognize the name? I didn’t know much about him or Jared, but I did know that Jared didn’t have an impressive track record. It seemed he’d dated every beautiful woman in Hollywood.

Eventually Presley wandered over with Shannon and I noticed when she introduced us and he shook my hand that the other arm was wrapped securely around my friend’s waist. I felt a mixed tinge of both fear and anxiety, which only intensified as I conversed with him.

Apparently I wasn’t being cordial enough, because Presley made an offhand comment that I simply didn’t enjoy places “like this.” I let it rip then, snidely asking Shannon to confirm what he did for a living. When he said he was in a band, I proceeded to explain that the reason I avoided places “like this” was because of people “like him.” His inviting smile never ceased, though, and when I was through he went on to calmly explain that his little brother avoided places “like this” because of gold digger women, so in a way, he understood my cynical point of view. He wasn’t hurt or offended by my words, but Presley was, and when Shannon invited us to the VIP lounge on the second floor despite my outburst, I agreed only for her sake.

And then I saw Jared, and I was surer than ever that photographs didn’t always do a person justice. He was utter perfection, with flawless creamy skin, large blue eyes, thick dark hair that hung to his neck and light stubble painted across his jaw. He was dressed entirely in black, even black fingerless gloves, and it such an intense contrast with his pale eyes that it nearly took my breath away. He smiled softly as the three of us approached, and within ten minutes I was getting a heartfelt promise that he would remain nothing short of a gentleman for the duration of the evening.

We talked about everything. History, literature, art, the countries we’d visited and the places we’d seen. We didn’t talk about what either of us did for a living, and on some level I believed that both of us preferred it that way. It was a nice way to remain anonymous and still slightly mysterious, and it wasn’t long after that realization that I forgot all about my solemn promise to myself that I wouldn’t get swept up with anyone Presley introduced me to.

Against my better judgment, I had to admit that Jared seemed to be an exception. He was intelligent, well-versed, down to earth, and had a wonderful laugh and brilliant smile. I felt as if neither of us had to try very hard to come up with things to talk about, and when the conversation ceased, we both seemed content to stand against the second floor banister in silence and watch as Shannon and Presley danced away downstairs.

I slid closer to Jared then, looking up at his profile. “I have a question for you,” I informed him.

He suddenly closed the tiny gap between us and the soft fabric of his black dress jacket caressed my bare arm. He turned to face me, a seductive smile on his thin lips. “Oh yeah, and what would that be?” He returned.

I took a breath, deciding it was better to ask the one thing that I couldn’t push out of my mind. Anonymity couldn’t last forever. “Is it…better for me to pretend I don’t know who you are and what you do or…” I paused, laughing at myself, and considered a different approach. “What I mean is…we haven’t talked about what we do for a living and…while I have to admit that it’s nice not having to explain myself…I’m also not sure if it’s something you want to address.”

He continued smiling and confidently shook his head. “I’d rather not if that’s okay,” he said softly. “But I’m glad you wanted to clear that up.” He studied me for a long moment and then frowned. “Should I know what you do for a living?”

I smiled playfully and looked away. “I’m a stripper,” I joked. “No no, wait, I’m a vampire.”

Ha. Holden had accused me of being one earlier that day.

When Jared spoke again I realized his lips were right next to my ear. God, I don’t understand how he always managed to do that when I wasn’t paying attention…

“Being a vampire is not a job,” he stated. “And while you do indeed have an impressive figure, I think we both know you’re not a stripper, either.”

My cheeks began to flame immediately.

“Come on,” he persisted. “Now that you brought it up you have to tell me.”

“I only did that because I can understand why some celebrities prefer their anonymity,” I explained. “I wasn’t sure if you were one of them.”

“Do you ever read about me in tabloids?” He asked.

“Well actually…it appears that you do get around,” I replied. Although as soon as the words left my mouth my cheeks burned even brighter, and my eyes shot to his. “I’m sorry,” I whispered apologetically. “I didn’t mean…”

“No, it’s okay,” he laughed. “I get it. And…you’re right, I have gotten around. It actually makes me wonder why you’re still talking to me.”

I shrugged. “You seem all right,” I said, trying to sound nonchalant.

He smiled again, but I could tell it was forced this time. In fact, he looked a little sad. I felt guilty for bringing up what was obviously a sensitive topic for him.

I took his hand in mine and nodded towards the first floor. “Come on,” I grinned. “Let’s dance.”

He sighed reluctantly and began to follow me towards the stairwell. “I thought we agreed that we weren’t going to dance!” He hollered from behind me.

“Yes, but I think you need some cheering up,” I said over my shoulder. I pulled him down the stairs, and right when we reached the bottom Presley noticed us. She waved wildly, her arms draped over Shannon like a scarf, and both Jared and I laughed at the sight. We weaved our way through the dancing bodies, and as soon as we reached the two of them Presley grabbed my free hand excitedly and yanked me towards her. I promptly pushed her away and laughed.

“We’ll talk later,” I told her. “Not now.”

She nodded agreeably, and no sooner had she returned her attention to Shannon than Jared’s arms were around my waist. I felt him pull on me until my back was pressed up against his chest, and carefully, I twisted around in his arms to look up into his blue eyes. He looked so content that it made my heart ache. Presley was not going to be happy with me when I told her I wouldn’t be giving Jared my phone number…

He bent down to whisper in my ear. “You look like you could use some cheering up of your own. Are you all right?” Then his fingers tangled with mine, and with his free hand he pulled me even tighter against him.

“I’m fine,” I lied with a smile.

He didn’t believe me, I was sure of it, but he also didn’t argue. He merely nodded with a slight smile, and as we began to dance together I tried desperately to think of anything other than the perfect planes of his chest and how my hands felt against them.

This was going to be very, very difficult.

****

“Wait a minute, I don’t understand,” Presley sighed, coming out of the bathroom stall. It was thirty minutes later and I was perched on top of the counter next to the sink, waiting for her to do her business. They had just announced last call and we would all be leaving soon, and I had just told her that there was no way in hell I’d give out my phone number.

“It’s just not a good idea,” I shrugged. “How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t want a boyfriend?”

She groaned, squirting out some liquid soap on her hands and washing them briskly in the sink. “Apparently you’ll have to keep telling me,” she answered. She dried her hands and threw the paper towels in the trash, then rested them on her hips. We were the only ones in the bathroom, and while five minutes earlier I was thankful for this due to the subject matter, now I was wishing there was a witness just in case she tore my head off.

“Apparently,” I finally agreed.

Presley groaned again and shook her head in frustration. “You know…you haven’t told me what your newest novel is about,” she scolded me. “Is it perhaps…about a woman who tortures herself by starving herself of love?”

“Oh God, don’t be so melodramatic!” I exclaimed. “It’s not that big of a deal! And no, that’s not what my new novel is about. News flash, but the writing process itself is the perfect form of torture for me, okay? Failing to domesticate with someone who can provide me sex on a regular basis is not torture, Pres.”

“I’m not just talking about sex,” she persisted. “I’m talking about all of it. I mean come on, you looked like you were having such a great time talking to him. What is it about him that makes you not want to just…see where it goes?”

I hopped off the counter and smoothed out my dress, handing Presley her purse. “Well you’re going to see Shannon again, aren’t you? I suppose I can just let you know if I change my mind.”

I stalked towards the bathroom door, yanking it open and glancing over my shoulder to make sure Presley was behind me. I suddenly wished she’d drank more. At least that way she’d be easier to tolerate right now.

I saw Shannon first, standing at the end of the hallway with his hands shoved into his pockets. He was waiting patiently for the two of us, and the instant he saw the expression on my face he frowned.

“Is everything okay?” He asked.

I nodded as Presley stepped up beside me, sighing in exasperation. She started to say something but stopped herself, then glanced around our immediate area.

“Where’s Jared?” She questioned.

“A couple of our friends are on their way out and he’s just saying goodbye,” Shannon answered. “He should be back in a few minutes.”

Presley smiled wryly. “Oh good,” she drawled sarcastically, giving me an evil glare. “Hey Shannon, you want to hear a great story?”

“Pres…” I hissed. “Just leave it alone…”

But predictably, she completely ignored me and proceeded to tell Shannon what we were talking about anyway. “She’s denying her human nature,” she began. “People need sex, love and companionship, but Eliza West just isn’t having any of it. No, she’d rather suffer in silence and~”

“That’s enough,” I grumbled through clenched teeth.

An awkward silence hovered for a few seconds until Shannon spoke up. “I don’t understand,” he said to me. “I thought you and Jared were hitting it off. What exactly is the problem?”

“There is no problem,” I returned. “I swear to you that this is not personal. I just…I’ve only dated a few people since I’ve been out here and I honestly have no interest in getting myself into a relationship. Some people prefer being with someone…others prefer to be alone. I am the latter, that’s all. I know what you’re thinking – that women are complicated. And you know what? You’re right. But~”

Shannon’s sudden laughter stopped me. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and ran them through his close cut brown hair. “Jared’s relationship-phobic, too,” he informed me. “It’s not as rare as you might think, and it’s definitely not isolated to the female gender.”

Presley burst out laughing upon his words, but all I could feel was anger boiling up inside of me. I quickly dug my car keys out of my purse and gripped them tightly in one hand, the other already balled up into a fist against my thigh.

“It’s okay,” Shannon said apologetically. “I’ll just tell him I pissed you off and you left.”

I smiled sardonically at him and glanced at Presley. “Give him your number and let’s get the fuck out of here.”

“I’ve got it already,” Shannon nodded, still looking sorry. “You can bounce.”

I felt a slight wave of relief wash over me, and once Presley planted a friendly kiss on Shannon’s cheek, we were on our way out of the club. I prayed the entire way across the slowly dwindling dance floor that Jared wouldn’t see us, and it seemed I held my breath right up until we reached the door and the cool night air was drifting over my skin.

“I can’t believe you,” Presley moaned as we walked down the sidewalk towards the garage we’d parked in. “They were both so nice…”

“You got what you wanted,” I sighed. “There is absolutely no reason why we need to continue talking about this.”

“Eli!” She howled softly. “Why? Why can’t you be normal?”

I laughed loudly and linked my arm through hers. “If you wanted normality, then you made the wrong move by becoming friends with a writer. With the exception of serial killers and drugged out rockstars, I’m about as twisted as they come.”

And even though I knew she probably hated me right now, she laughed anyway. “That’s not true,” she disagreed. “Like I said earlier, you’re fantastic, which is exactly why you need a hot lover like Jared Leto.”

“Okay, so which is it?” I questioned. “Am I sleeping with him or…am I having a relationship with him?”

“Well probably neither now,” she confirmed.

When we reached the corner we jogged across the intersection, and just as we entered the parking garage Presley’s cell phone began to ring. I cursed under my breath, knowing full well that her cell phone ringing at nearly 2 a.m. could really only mean one thing.

She stopped walking, yanking open her purse and digging through it until she found her cell phone. She stared at it in disbelief, and I knew then that I was right. I sighed, waiting for her to pick it up, but for some reason she just kept staring at it. Maybe she’d drank more than I’d thought. Maybe she was appalled by the fact that Shannon was calling her before we’d even gotten in my car. Hell I was, too.

I took the cell phone out of her hand and flipped it open, pressing it to my ear. My patience was wearing thin at this point. “What? Isn’t there some rule where you’re supposed to wait a couple days before you call the girl you spent the entire night grinding with?”

“Well…” And the smooth voice and heavy sigh both belonged to Jared. “I would say that since we spent most of the night talking…those rules don’t apply.”

My jaw dropped and Presley looked positively panic-stricken. “Eli! How could you say such a thing?!” She hissed. “What the hell is wrong with you?!”

I remained frozen for another few seconds, then pulled the phone away from my ear and snapped it shut without saying another word. “It was Jared,” I croaked, handing it back to her. “Do not, I repeat, do not give either of them my number if they ask for it, do you hear me?”

“Uh…yeah…of course,” Presley stuttered. She stared at the phone, dumbfounded for a few seconds, then curled her fingers around it. “They’re gonna think we’re both fucking crazy,” she mumbled.

“Oh well,” I shrugged. “Worse things have happened…” I began walking towards the car again, jingling my keys noisily as I tried to drown out Presley’s exasperated sighs, when her cell phone began to ring again. “I’m not doing this,” I snapped as I stalked away.

The ringing stopped as Presley’s heels clattered after me. I couldn’t make out anything she was saying and I had no clue if she was talking to Jared or Shannon, but a minute later she rushed to my side.

“Calm down, it was Shannon,” she advised me. “He wanted to apologize to you. He said Jared just took his phone away from him and called on his own accord. He doesn’t believe a damn thing Shannon told him.”

“Of course he doesn’t,” I chuckled. “Because it all sounds like complete nonsense.”

“Pssht, well so does your excuse,” she accused. “And who would’ve thought: the writer who can’t come up with an explanation that makes sense to anyone else but her. How do you make a living off that?”

“I have an editor,” I mused.

“Well can you send Beth this one?” She asked. “I’d love to see her interpretation.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” I laughed. I waved my arms out around me. “Now where the fuck is my damn car?!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for new comments and subscribers. You guys rock. :-D

Hope you liked the new chapter. Thanks for reading and please review!