Sequel: My Last Regret
Status: Completed - Sequel is up(:

I Need A Getaway

twelve;

I walked into the kitchen, hanging my shoulders low, and looked at my mom in hopes that she wouldn’t flip out. A frown was evident on her face and her hands were clasped together in front of her on the table.

“Alex, I’m not sure what to think…” She muttered and looked up at me. I took that as my cue to sit down and begin our talk.

“I’m sorry. I just-“

“I mean, the fact that I heard that you and Jack snuck out after I told you that you two couldn’t leave the house is one thing. But then walking in on you two…doing that?” She pulled her lips into a straight line and I could tell she was having a hard time processing it all. “What’s a mother supposed to think when she sees her son kissing another boy? That’s just…” She paused.

“Mom, I don’t know what to do! Every time I do something, your dad’s always there to try and put me in line, even though he knows that trying to discipline me won’t do anything since he’s not my dad and most certainly not you. He can’t tell me what to do, and when he tries, it always turns into a fight that messes with my emotions.” My words were like waterfalls as the poured out of my mouth and my mom’s jaw dropped slightly.

“What?”

“Mom, he always brings up how Daniel committed suicide and how dad left and he always tries to tell me it’s my fault because of the way I dress and talk. It’s ridiculous and every time he says something like that, I end up bursting into tears and the only person I have to turn to, that helps me feel better, is Jack.”

“Why would he say things like that to you?” She asked, almost sounding completely clueless.

“I have no clue, but you can’t think I’m an outrage for kissing another guy when-“

“I don’t think you’re an outrage, Alex.” She cut me off and gave me a sympathetic smile.

“I can understand t—wait, what?” I cocked my head to the side and she laughed.

“It’s just all very shocking…but if I knew that my dad said those kinds of things to you, I’d have done something about it. I’m so sorry; I know that they’re touchy subjects, Alex.” She placed her hands on top of mine and I looked into her eyes. She was so sincere.

“He does…and it makes me so upset.” I said, my eyes brimming with tears all of a sudden. “I don’t know who he thinks he is, but I want it to all just go away. Except that it won’t because he’s your father and you can’t just kick him out because I don’t like him. I get it. Why don’t you just go send me to live with dad or something? At least that way I’d be able to get away from this hell I’ve gotten myself into.”

She sighed and shook her head.

“You’re blowing this all out of proportion, Alex. I’ll make it a point to talk to him about the things he says…but,” She stopped, mid-sentence, and her eyes moved to the archway to the kitchen.

I turned in my chair to see my granddad standing there with a smirk on his face. I wanted to slap it off. He was always there to fuck up every situation.

“I was just going to get some water, but then I saw you two were talking, I decided to include myself because I heard you two were talking about me.” He smiled and I rolled my eyes.

He came and sat next to me at the kitchen table and looked between me and my mom.

“Well, I guess this is the perfect time to talk to you about what kind of things you’ve been saying to Alex, dad.” My mom said and I slumped in the chair.

“Like what? I’ve told him he needs to watch his language because it’s offensive, just as the way he dresses.” He pointed out and I mentally scoffed. What a douche.

“I know that, dad. But what about the other things?”

“Like what?” He asked. He was playing dumb, and I knew it.

“Like talking about how his brother killed himself?” I gulped loudly, pushing back the tears. “And how his father left?”

“Well, it’s only the truth, Isobel.” He shrugged and I wanted to rip his face off. I couldn’t believe it.

“I’m pretty sure he knows that…and still. It’s a touchy subject for him, dad.” She looked at him directly in the eyes and I stood from the table.

“You make it seem like I’m a fucking child!” I yelled, not being able to the pressure anymore. “I’m going to be 17 in December; you can stop talking about me as if I’m 5 years old!”

“Alex, don’t talk to your mother that way!” My granddad glared and I slammed my fist on the table again.

“You think you, of all people, can tell me what to do? You barely even know who I fucking am! You talk to me like I’m shit and I’m worth nothing to anyone!” I growled, clenching my teeth and boring a glare into him.

“I’ve never said that in my life.” He stated.

I groaned loudly and paced around the kitchen.

“Alex, calm down sweetie. We can talk this out if you’d just sit down. Everything will be okay.” My mother tried to sooth the pain rushing around inside my body. I was so furious I couldn’t handle it.

“It’s impossible to have a civil talk with a man who throws me down into the dirt every day of my life.” I mumbled and shot my granddad another glare.

“I do throw you in the dirt. I simply tell you how you need to improve your horrible lifestyle.” He shrugged.

How could he be so calm about this?

“I’m so sick of being tossed around like this. I’d rather just go live with dad than have to deal with it.” I yelled.

“Then why don’t you?” My granddad asked and I rolled my eyes.

“Not like anyone would miss me if I did.” I said.

“I would miss you, Alex.” My mom said. “And what about Jack?” She asked and I frowned. What about Jack? I couldn’t just leave him behind.

“I think it would be wise to do that, Alex.” My granddad tore me from my thoughts. Of course he thought that.

“I have too much I’d be leaving behind.” I said. I can’t believe I even considered leaving in the first place.

“Well, Alex. I guess it could be a change, and maybe you’d learn something useful instead of sitting around all the time and getting in to trouble.” My mother added in the most saddening voice I had ever heard her use. It made my heart break, almost.

I leaned my head against the arch frame and closed my eyes.

“I can’t. I can’t leave Jack. I can’t leave Dulaney. And I can’t leave you, mom.” I squeezed my eyes closed tighter. There was no way in hell I could do that.

“But maybe it’s a good idea…since you’ve spent so much of your life here, in the same place, maybe it’s time for a change.” She stated and I stood up straight and shook my head.

“You have a point…” I admitted.

After a few moments of silence, my mother spoke again. Her words ripped me to shreds.

“So, I guess it’s settled then? You can go live with your father when school starts up again, and as soon as summer comes, you can come back. Does that sound fair?” She asked.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“So you’re serious about this? Can’t we wait until next year? What about-“ I tried to reason with her, but she smiled.

“Summer isn’t over yet. You’ve still got a month or so left.” She said. “But I think I’m serious about this decision. You also need to spend time with your father; he hasn’t seen you in a few months. It would be nice and it would mean the world to him.”

“Mom!” I gaped at her and she shook her head.

“It’s only fair, Alex. This is the compromise we’re making and if you can’t comply, then I’ll send you now.” Her tone sounded sterner and it hurt to think that she was actually being serious about this.

“You’re really going through with this? I was kidding when I suggested it! I don’t want to leave!” I said, a struggle in my voice and she shook her head.

“I think-“ My granddad began but I left the kitchen with a loud scoff, not letting him finish his sentence before I ran up the stairs.

I threw my door open and went into my room. Jack looked up at me with worry in his eyes as he saw the pain in my expression.

“What happened? Are you okay?” He asked, sounding like he was starting to panic.

“I’m fed up with everything right now and I just need some time to think.” I gripped at my hair, contemplating whether or not it was worth pulling out, and I paced around my room frantically.

“Do you want me to leave you alone?” Jack asked and I shook my head violently.

“That’s the last thing I’d want, Jack. If you had a clue about what’s going on right now…”

“Why don’t you tell me then?” He asked and I bit my lip.

I moved over to the bed and I sat next to him. I cuddled close to him and a frown played on my face. Sadness was in his eyes and I had the worse time bringing myself to tell him what was going to happen.

“Alex, what’s wrong?” He asked, rubbing circles in my back.

“Everything is so fucked up and I have no clue why. I don’t know what I did to deserve this, but all I can say is that I’m really gonna miss you.” I spit out a bunch of words and he looked extremely confused.

“What the hell’s going on, Alex?” He raised an eyebrow and I frowned harder.

“Jack, my mom’s sending me to live with my dad as soon as summer’s over.” I sunk my teeth into my lip and my eyes brimmed with tears.

“She’s sending you where?”

“Atlanta, Georgia.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the part where you all leave me hateful comments for doing this to their relationship. I'm sorry -shields eyes- please don't kill me.
<3Maryy