Sequel: My Last Regret
Status: Completed - Sequel is up(:

I Need A Getaway

three;

I rolled out of bed the next morning with a loud sigh and beat on my alarm clock, yelling ‘shut the fuck up’ in the process. Of course, my grandparents were now living across the hall, so I guess I was lucky I hadn’t gotten hell for saying it yet.

“Alex; pancakes!” My mom yelled from downstairs, brightening my mood.

I skipped out of my room quickly, not bothering to throw a shirt on. I jumped down the stairs in my dark-green pajama bottoms on and slid into a chair at the kitchen table. I grabbed the fork next to the plate in front of me and got a glare from my granddad sitting right next to me.

“Would you mind putting on a shirt, boy? Or must you walk around half-naked for the whole house to see?” He raised an eyebrow. “Because it makes me lose my appetite.”

“It’s not like I’ve got jugs or anything.” I stated as my mom placed three pancakes on my plate. I stuffed my mouth with food immediately.

“Excuse me, son?” My granddad asked.

“Yeah?” I said with my mouth full of food.

Instead of getting a verbal reply, my granddad slammed his fork down, stood from the table, and glared down at me. He, then, looked over at my mother in disgust.

“Isobel, your son is sickening. I can’t believe you let him live this way.” He growled. “I ought to be ashamed of you for letting him get away with the stuff he does.”

He walked away from the table and up the stairs. I looked back at my mother and grandmother and smiled awkwardly.

“He’s just got a sore sense of humor.” My grandmother shrugged.

Of course he did.

-

It was around 1 am and I found myself sitting up on the roof again. I looked out at the yard, but I heard some voices coming from somewhere dhow the street. I looked toward where the voices were coming from and I saw three people and a moving truck.

New neighbors? Great.

The first person I spotted was a boy that looked to be about my age; 16. I narrowed my eyes, trying to get a better look, but since it was dark out, I decided I’d go over and introduce myself in the morning.

After I had watched enough of the new neighbors move their stuff inside, I crawled off the roof and went back into my room. I glanced at the clock, seeing that I was up there for at least an hour, and then I climbed into bed.

I fell asleep, planning out how I was going to introduce myself to the new neighbors.

-

I threw on a black V-neck and a pair of Bermuda shorts and threw myself into the bathroom across the hall. I picked up my straightener and, of course, straightened my hair and then spent about 15 minutes staring at myself in the morning.

As soon as I was finished up in the bathroom, I jumped down the stairs and rain toward the front door. I was somewhat excited.

“Mom, I’m going next door.” I yelled and opened the front door. As soon as it was opened, though, I heard a voice coming from the living room.

“Son, where are you going?” I rolled my eyes.

“Why does it matter to you?” I asked, turning so I had a good view of my granddad sitting in the recliner in the living room. He pushed his glasses up on his nose and frowned at me. He set down the book that was in his hands and stared at me.

“Why’re you so disrespectful, boy?” He raised an eyebrow.

“I’d just appreciate if you’d stay out of my business.” I sighed.

“I deserve to know where you’re going.”

“Too bad,” I hissed before pulling the door open and running outside. I slammed it behind me and ran through the yard and then slowed to a walked as soon as I was in the neighbors’ yard.

I followed the stone path up to the door and knocked on it politely. I waited on the front porch patiently until the door was pulled open, revealing the boy I say last night.

I smiled and he rolled his eyes.

“Mom, we have another creep on our doorstep.” He yelled into the house and I heard a laugh.

Another creep?

“But I’m not a creep.” I said softly, a little disappointed.

“Hah,” He laughed. “I know. It’s a joke.”

“Oh,” I smiled again.

“People have been showing up at our door all day, so my dad is starting…actually, I don’t really know. I’m rambling,” He trailed off, smiling me.

“Well, I’m Alex,” I stuck my hand out and he shook it. “And I’m your neighbor.”

His smile widened.

“Well I’m glad I live next to at least one cute guy.” He winked.

He just called me cute. No way.

I felt myself blush and he must have caught me staring because he laughed and shook his head.

“Yeah…sorry if that creeped you out.” He shrugged.

“Nah, it’s cool.” I smiled.

“Oh! And I’m Jack, by the way. Nice to meet ya.” He smiled. “But I have to go unpack.”

“Oh…” I said.

“But we should hang out sometime.” He grinned, stepping back into the house, but leaving the door open. “You want to come over for dinner?”

I nodded.

“I’d love to.”

“Cool.” He said and shut the door.

I ran home and jumped through the doorway. I ran up the stairs and began to dig my closet apart in search of something decent to wear.

“What’s all this commotion, boy?” My granddad asked. I looked up from my closet and saw him standing in the doorway and a disgusted look on his face.

“I’m going to dinner-“

“No you aren’t, son.” He stated with a half-smile. “You can’t leave this house. I’ve already discussed with your mother that I’m going to have to teach you some manners sooner or later, and after your episode earlier, I think it’s about time. So, I’ve set tonight as the date.”

“I don’t need you to tell me how to live my life. I’m going to dinner and you can deal with it because you aren’t my parent, so you can’t tell me what to do.”

“Do you want me to get your mother up here?” He raised an eyebrow. “Because I surely will get her to do so. “

“Go right ahead,” I countered.

“I will.” He nodded before turning to walk down the stairs.

Nearly minutes later, him and my mom were both standing in my room while I continued to look for clothes.

“Mom, I’m going to dinner at the neighbors’ house.” I looked at her.

“Isobel, we already planned for Alex to have a lesson tonight. He surely needs it.” My granddad protested.

“Mom,” I looked her deep in the eyes.

“Alex, it’s one night.” She said firmly. “I think you can deal with it.”

“Mom,” I sighed. “I want to go to dinner.”

My mom opened her mouth to speak, but what came out were not her words.

“I don’t really care what you want, son.” My granddad said, interrupting my mother as she attempted to talk.

“C’mon, mom. I’m your only son, you could at least let me have dinner with the neighbors and then force me to sit alone with your father and be tortured.” I saw the look in her eyes, but I couldn’t place the emotion.

“I know, dear.” She forced a smile on her face. “But you need-“

“Would you let Daniel go to dinner with the neighbors? He cursed too. He was rude too.”

I could tell that what I said hurt.

“That’s enough, son.” My granddad said firmly, pushing passed my mother and grabbing me by the wrist. “I won’t let you be the cause of trouble in this household any longer. I’m taking you downstairs and you’re going to be taught a lesson-“

“Dad, it’s fine.” My mom cut it. “He can go to dinner.”

I looked at her with hope in my eyes.

“Really?” I asked, partially doubting that what she said was true.

“Isobel, your son is an outrage. He needs-“

“Dad, you don’t have the right to call my son any names. Just let him go and have dinner at the neighbors’.” She smiled at me.

My granddad let go of my wrist and scoffed loudly before leaving the room.

“Thanks, mom.” I said.

“I just want what’s best for my only son, because I've already lost one.” She smiled and turned to leave the room as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was trouble to write. But I did it. Soo...he met Jack. Anyone wanna take a guess at what's gonna happen at dinner?:)

10 comments and I'll update.

xMaryy(: