Forced Decisions

Forced Decisions

'There's no argument about it,' snapped mum. 'We're going and that's final.' She glared at her daughter, as if daring her to protest once more.

However, the only response she got was 'Fine, yeah, whatever...' in a sulky tone. What she couldn't see was the sadness in her daughters eyes, or the tears tracing well known paths down her cheeks, hidden behind the long curtain of dark brown hair that seperated them.

'Mum..' the teenager started, her voice quiet. Before being fiercly cut off by her mother. 'God damn it Emily! For the last time, you cannot live with your father, we're moving to America!' A vein was throbbing dangerously in her temple and her eyes were dark, with a menacing tint.

Emily jumped at her mothers outburst, although it was not un-expected. Since her mum had been offered a job in Washington DC, anything could set her off, it was like living with a time bomb. 'Jesus Christ! I was just gonna ask if I could go for a walk.' Emily said in an exasperated tone. Her mum simply blinked at her. 'Oh, sure sweetie. Do what you want, I have stuff to do, plane tickets to book.' The tone her mother used was too bright and sickly as she swept out of the room.

Emily sighed, clearly that was the closest thing to an apology she would get, she could count on one hand the number of times her mum had called her sweetie. 'Ok' she called out to her mother, who had left to go to the kitchen. 'I'll see you around.' She hurried upstairs, once in her bedroom she searched the bottom of her wardrobe. Moving aside several unwanted items, she grabbed a small back pack. Emily looked on her dresser and found a small box, hidden behind a book. She opened it and counted out the paper notes inside, £400, it wasn't much, but it was a start.

She put the money back in the box and placed the box in her bag, along with the spare jeans, two t-shirts and a hoodie that had been in there for many weeks. Emily put on her coat and hoisted the back pack onto her shoulders, wishing her mother didn’t have their passports for the upcoming move.

She then crept quietly down the stairs, stepping oddly in places, on the edges, and at one point even missing a stair completly. Several years of sneaking out to go for calming walks after midnight meant she knew exactly which stairs creaked, it was like a well practiced dance routine. As she reached the bottom of the stairs, she took a letter out her pocket, glancing around for her mother, she placed it on a chest of draws. Checking her phone was securely in her pocket, she left the house for what she hoped was the last time. As the door clicked shut, she closed her eyes, saying a silent prayer.

She swiftly made her way along the deserted streets to the bus depo, checking her watch she smiled sadly, her timing was perfect. The coach would leave in five minutes, taking her to London, the center of everything. She thought briefly of how amazing it would to go on the Eurostar, but knew it wouldn't be possible.

Instead, she would go to her fathers house. However, deep down she knew she would be dragged home by her mother, and then to Washington DC. The place where she had no friends, no family and quite possibly no future.