‹ Prequel: The Natives

Dove and Grenade

Eleven

I rolled over to face Matt, and he smiled at me. I put my cheek against his chest. He put a hand on the small of my back, and I sighed.

"What's up, buttercup?" he asked.

I shrugged and said, "I'm glad my parents are leaving today."

"I thought you were glad to see them," Matt said.

"I was," I replied, "until the stint at dinner with Aron."

"Dinner last night was fine," he said.

"For you," I sighed. "I just didn't want them accusing me of everything. I felt like that's all they came here for."

"It'll be fine," Matt said, kissing the top of my head. "They'll be gone in a few hours."

I smiled and put my arms around him. He danced his fingers up my arm, making me shiver, and I giggled. He poked my nose.

"There, that's the girl I know," he chuckled.

I sat up, the blanket still wrapped around me. He propped himself up on his elbow and watched as I got up. I took his hand.

"Shower?" I said.

He grinned and stood up, yawning. He handed me his shirt, and I threw it on. I seemed to never wear my own shirts anymore, and that was okay with me. It's not like I had any use for my own anyway.

Mom and Dad were still asleep when we walked to the bathroom, not that I gave a damn what they thought. Matt got in first, allowing me to brush my hair, and I soon joined him. The water was too cold, and I knew Matt had done it on purpose. I punched his shoulder, and he smiled. He leaned down to kiss me, but we heard a noise and stopped.

The door opened. Matt opened his mouth to say something, but I slapped a hand over his face. I peeked around the shower curtain and saw my mother washing her hands.

"You could have knocked," I said.

"I could have," Mom said. "Figured I'd catch you off-guard, though, doing what you do best."

"Doing what?" I said. "I'm not doing anything."

"You can stop hiding Matt, Kara," Mom sighed. "I know he's in here, too."

I let my hand fall from Matt's mouth, and he said, "Hello, Mrs. Erlichman."

"Hello, Matthew," Mom said.

"Whatever you two are gonna talk about, can it wait until I'm gone?" Matt asked. "I don't want this to be awkward."

"Like it's not already awkward enough," I mumbled.

He put a hand on my butt, and I jumped. I pushed him off. I didn't need this to be any more awkward than it already was. He smiled, but I rolled my eyes.

"What are you two doing for Kara's birthday?" asked Mom.

"Oh, that's right," Matt said. "Your birthday is Friday."

"Ugh," I said. "I know when my birthday is. Thanks, mother."

--------------------------------

I stood outside the car with my mom. Matt and my dad were still talking on the front step, no doubt about me. I crossed my arms and turned to Mom. She patted my shoulder.

"I know you love Matt," Mom said, "and I know you'll do what's right. Forget what your father said."

"Thanks, Mom," I said.

She pulled me in for a hug, and I smiled. She never was the problem. I just hoped my dad wasn't saying a bunch of bullshit to Matt. I pulled away from her, and she got in the car. My dad approached. He patted me once on the back, but he didn't say anything.

"Happy early birthday, Kara," Mom said. "And thanks for letting us stay."

"Don't forget to stop at Aron's on your way out," I said.

"I love you, Kara," said Mom.

I smiled, and Dad started the car. I stepped back from the car, and they sped away. I turned back and saw Matt standing on the front step, his arms crossed. He smiled at me, and I walked up to him.

"Dad give you grief?" I asked.

"Sort of," Matt shrugged. "He said you were just here until you got bored, and I should leave before you get a chance to go."

"Matt, you know I'd never do that," I said.

"I know," he replied.

"I love you," I said, letting his hands wrap around mine.

He put his forehead against mine.

"No matter what happens," he whispered, "I will always love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been awhile. I'm gonna try harder to get the next update out.

Anyway hope you enjoyed. :)