‹ Prequel: The Natives

Dove and Grenade

Twelve

Jordan raised his glass and said, quite loud, "Happy 24th birthday, Kara!"

Everyone else raised their glasses too and filled the little Mexican restaurant with an echo of Jordan's call for attention. I smiled, and Matt put an arm around my shoulders. Aron ordered a round of shots and a bigger one for me. If it wasn't for the fact that I was already buzzed, I would have gladly taken the shot.

Problem was I knew what Matt had waiting for me at home, and I didn't want to be drunk for it. I wanted to remember it, savor it, feel it.

I sighed, "This is the last one."

I held up the shot in a toast, and everyone did the same. It took me twice as long to finish my shot, and it burned on the way down. I shook my head to clear my senses. George laughed at me, but he patted my hand.

"Like a champ," he chuckled.

"Felíz cumple, Kara," Dillon said. "It's good to see we're not the only one's getting old."

"Thanks, guys," I replied.

"Matt, what did you get Kara for her birthday?" asked Charlette.

"She's getting later tonight," Matt said with a devilish grin on his face.

There was a collective "ooh!" from everyone at the table except me, who was turning quite red. I sunk into Matt's arm, attempting to hide myself. Jordan flicked me.

"Tonight's the night you find out if Matt's a man," he said.

"What?" I said. "I already know he is."

"Oh, do you?" Jordan chuckled, looking at Matt.

"Don't do it, man," sighed Matt.

"Well, my good Kara," Jordan said, putting an arm around me. "Any woman can make a man achieve natural high, but-"

"Jordan-"

"-it takes a real man-"

"-I'm gonna punch you-"

"-to make a woman weak in the knees and cry out with indescribable pleasure and ecstasy," Jordan finished. "Her breath can't keep up with her and she clutches his arms for dear life. Is he a man now, Kara?"

I glanced at Matt and bit my lip. Jordan crossed his hands on the table and nodded.

"I thought so," he said.

"Well, now that your awkward Danielle Steele moment is over," Jorel said uncomfortably, "I've got to be going."

"I think we'd better go, too," Meredith said. "I don't feel so well."

We all pushed away from the table, and I took Matt's hand. I received hugs from everyone and I dutifully thanked them for sharing my birthday with me. Matt and I climbed in the car and sat there for a moment, silent. I opened my mouth to say something, but he stopped me.

"I don't care," he said. "Whatever it is, I don't care. I just wanted you to have a happy birthday."

"I did," I said. "And I don't care what Jordan said. I love you, and that's not going to change."

"I know," he said. "I just want you to have that. I want you to have the best and-"

"Is that what you think?" I asked. "That I don't already have the best? Why is it so fucking important to you?"

"It's not! I just want you to-"

"Shut up," I commanded. "Shut up and drive."

He turned the car on, but we still didn't move. I crossed my arms over my chest, but he put a hand on my cheek and made me look at him.

"Kara," he said. "I know you think it matters to me, but it doesn't. I just want you to have something like that. Something you'll never forget."

It was silent again before Matt drove away from the Mexican joint. Halfway home he cleared his throat.

"You didn't have that with- erm- anyone else, did you?" he asked.

"Like who?" I mumbled.

"Anyone," he replied.

"Why are you so worried about it?" I asked.

"I'm just curious," Matt said. "You don't have to answer."

"Don't be ridiculous," I said. "Sex with anyone but you is less than satisfying."

He didn't say anything, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw him smirk. The longer I sat there, the more I longed for it, though, and I watched him from my peripheral vision.

"It's still my birthday, you know," I said quietly.

"I know," said Matt.

-----------------------------------

I gasped for air, but my lungs couldn't keep it down. Matt pulled me in; he was attempting to breathe at a normal pace as well. I felt his heart beating a million miles an hour and mine was barely keeping up.

"Happy birthday, Kara," he said in between breaths.

I trailed my fingers up and down his chest, smiling. He put a hand on my hip, making my heart skip a beat, and I looked up at him.

I didn't say anything. I didn't have to.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think updates will be slow. I want them to be as best as they can be, so I'm probably not going to be pumping them out like a factory. I'm sorry. :(

Comments? Favorite parts? What do you think is gonna happen next?